Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
this game was the most cathartic experience possible after however long of listening all these :actually: takes about how all you need to do in the NFL is throw the ball big time, im loving every minute of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If an NFL team tried to run the ball that much every game their RBs would be dead by midseason.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHY9Hz5rD0s&t=24s

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it was the perfect game plan for those conditions, except for mac freelancing into one ill-advised first half pass attempt and the pats cowardly calling two more pass attempts in the second half

would it be the perfect game plan in other conditions? idk but i'd love to see it

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
They scored 14 points, which isn't usually enough to win a football game, so probably not.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/peteroverzet/status/1468377805687865345

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

this game was the most cathartic experience possible after however long of listening all these :actually: takes about how all you need to do in the NFL is throw the ball big time, im loving every minute of this

Ok, help me understand: in all other games without weather conditions like Buffalo, are NFL teams more likely or less likely to win by running the ball 90% of the time?

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
You got me there, I guess not every team should run on every single down forever from now on. I looked through my spreadsheets and I have to admit that the forward pass is valuable when teams are behind to get caught up.

Anyway, lets see what our old friend Andrew Russell has been up since the game, besides blocking everyone who disagrees with his analysis
https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1468033439098093568
lol I’m pretty sure the Bills had their chance…

https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1467982785243754503
ok this crosses the line, this isn’t funny anymore, execute this man

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I don't know who Andrew Russell is but I want him to know that his life is a lie and his existence is a joke to me

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Josh Allen should've made more Big Time Throws

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Josh Allen should've made more Big Time Throws

I mean poo poo Diggs dropping one deep touchdown pass that was right on the money was the main difference in that game. If he caught that they win, but he didn't

Nov 6, 2002

These kind of counter-factuals are a bit silly. That drop was in the middle of the 3rd quarter. I doubt New England would have continued to just run it for minimal gain in the 4th and burn clock if they didn't have the lead. The whole game would have played out differently.

Still, it was a great throw.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

These kind of counter-factuals are a bit silly. That drop was in the middle of the 3rd quarter. I doubt New England would have continued to just run it for minimal gain in the 4th and burn clock if they didn't have the lead. The whole game would have played out differently.

Still, it was a great throw.

True but one thing we know for sure is that the game WOULD'VE been played out differently, likely a lot differently, and it would've given the Bills a pretty good chance to win, at least.

Rarely does an entire game hinge on a single play as much as that one, mostly just due to the inclement conditions and how hard it was to get decent attempts down the field. That was their best chance and I actually stopped watching after that because i decided that was game, realistically. and in the end it was

Nov 6, 2002

It was over in the first quarter when McDermitt decided not to go for 2. :smugdog:

But seriously that was an incredibly stupid coaching decision that completely came back to bite them in the rear end.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What the Bills really should have done was stop that 64 yard run

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It'd be smart if teams simply won every game instead of losing games. Statistics suggest this to be a good thing!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Magicpants posted:

You got me there, I guess not every team should run on every single down forever from now on. I looked through my spreadsheets and I have to admit that the forward pass is valuable when teams are behind to get caught up.

Anyway, lets see what our old friend Andrew Russell has been up since the game, besides blocking everyone who disagrees with his analysis
https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1468033439098093568
lol I’m pretty sure the Bills had their chance…

https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1467982785243754503
ok this crosses the line, this isn’t funny anymore, execute this man

Swirlies solve dorks imo

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Mega64 posted:

It'd be smart if teams simply won every game instead of losing games. Statistics suggest this to be a good thing!

this is the type of poo poo these nerds are cooking up in their mom's basement

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Play posted:

Rarely does an entire game hinge on a single play as much as that one, mostly just due to the inclement conditions and how hard it was to get decent attempts down the field. That was their best chance and I actually stopped watching after that because i decided that was game, realistically. and in the end it was

The Bills had multiple chances both in the redzone and critical drops(hello Dawson Knox) to make major plays but if they had we wouldn't have Magic Pants spraying his cum everywhere.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
well if you guys get to fantasize about the game where josh allen hits diggs on a prayer, then its only fair i get to fantasize about the game where the ball doesnt scrape off nkeal harrys facemask so the bills don't even get that 1 gift TD, and that is very very hot fantasy for me :gizz:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm bored, somebody fight me about advanced NFL stats

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

blarzgh posted:

I'm bored, somebody fight me about advanced NFL stats

Half sacks should be counted as full sacks for a player's stats

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chucktesla posted:

sacks should be split among the number of plays getting sacks. "TJ Watt gets the partial sack and he's up to 11.375 sacks for the season!"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Chucktesla posted:

Sacks should be counted for fun, but for analytical purposes, QB pressures, and Pass Rush Win rate are more meaningful!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BillyM_91/status/1446645498773975044?t=P0Z8UgNPo5Y-8178QDcuEw&s=19

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Sacks should be counted for fun, but for analytical purposes, QB pressures, and Pass Rush Win rate are more meaningful!

True but Deacon Jones didn't die for six half sacks to mean that a player has sacked a quarterback three times!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pass rushers should be covered by a stat that measures newtons of force applied to the quarterback.

Who cares if you bearhug and gently lay the Quarterback down vs a screaming linebacker hitting Roethlisberger so hard all you hear is the extremely beefy slap followed by an agonized groan.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Pass rushers should be covered by a stat that measures newtons of force applied to the quarterback.

Who cares if you bearhug and gently lay the Quarterback down vs a screaming linebacker hitting Roethlisberger so hard all you hear is the extremely beefy slap followed by an agonized groan.

tbf Ben could make any sack look and seem like a brutal assault on his person purely through the power of his self-pitying wince

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Ben groans getting up from sitting

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Chucktesla posted:

Yeah half sacks are dumb. The whole reason they were invented was so that in the box score the individual sacks would add up to the total sacks. But obviously you shouldn't get dinged because someone else also did their job.

blarzgh posted:

Best example of this is garbage rear end Dante Fowler getting 11.5 sacks cause he lined up next to Aaron Donald and just cleaned up the chaos he caused.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah half sacks are dumb. The whole reason they were invented was so that in the box score the individual sacks would add up to the total sacks. But obviously you shouldn't get dinged because someone else also did their job.

Best example of this is garbage rear end Dante Fowler getting 11.5 sacks cause he lined up next to Aaron Donald and just cleaned up the chaos he caused.

They don't tell you who's better, but like in that example it tells you who's been more productive that season and who's likely to be in other games that season.

'Cuz unless Donald gets injured, teams are still gonna be putting everyone on him and letting Fowler go 1 on 1 with a guard or TE or RB or nothing to get more help on Donald.

Nov 6, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Ben groans getting up from sitting

Ben looks like a guy who spends an hour on the toilet taking a poo poo and groans the whole time.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/1470142125119447047?s=20

take that nerds

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"Well, more points are better that fewer points, so we did the things that get us more points."

"Yeah but show me the analytics on how my high school football coach used to make us run wind sprints until we threw up and you couldn't get a water break until after practice was over unless one offensive lineman stroked out then show me the analytics on that!!"

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This thing that every team at every level is doing is obviously wrong because it's different and scary to me.

The worst takes on analytics are always the ones that boil down to "I don't understand what probabilities are"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

blarzgh posted:

"Well, more points are better that fewer points, so we did the things that get us more points."

The context there is the Browns turtled up the entire 2nd half scoring nothing while the Ravens got back within a Justin Tucker field goal. Stefanski etc making such a big deal about analytics should be getting dragged for whatever that nonsense was. The play calling absolutely collapses into stupid when the Browns have a lead in the 2nd half

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 13, 2021

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

CPOE is the red-headed-stepchild of nerd stats

Also: look at that crazy divergence on Burrow

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nosre posted:

CPOE is the red-headed-stepchild of nerd stats

Also: look at that crazy divergence on Burrow

pretty funny how PFF is basically the opposite of everything else in so many examples. talk poo poo on stats or advanced stats but at least they are based on real, quantifiable things

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Otoh they're right about Burrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
CPOE, and to an extent PFF grades are averages, whereas
Total EPA, DYOA, DYAR, and QBR are volume stats, which explains some of the disparity