Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

keep punching joe posted:

A new version of Covid? Very likely.
I've been on this site too long, because my immediate reaction to that was "The omicron variant? In my vagina?" It's more likely than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Most of my AI art is weird, creepy or both, but somehow "John Cleese eats Brexit sandwich" came out as a true piece of outsider genius.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't know where the art generator can be found but could someone please plug in the two thread shibboleths, This Is Bad For Jeremy Corbyn and David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I

What

Just

:stare:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Bring me CHAOS WITH ED MILLIBAND!

With this, despite the name, I think the bacon sandwich came out the victor.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 1, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If Johnson is kicked out in a leadership battle, it'll be interesting to see exactly where the dividing line is between "The PM should be a proper Tory who hates fun and is dedicated to crushing people I don't like" and "I... ain't going to vote for one of them people. You know. I'm not a racist, but... them."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fuctifino posted:

Have any of the other people been ID'd yet?
Apparently the guy in the grey jacket is Mr Holly Valance, aka billionaire property developer (and by amazing coincidence Tory donor) Nick Candy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

She wrote a series of completely serious books where the lead character is called Cormoran Strike, a name that would have been rejected by the Russ Abbott's Madhouse writing room.
The first book, which she wrote under a pseudonym to prove she could write for adults without needing the crutch of Harry Potter, got absolutely zero attention until someone mysteriously leaked who had actually written it.

And for someone so openly anti-trans, it's ironic that she felt her alter ego had to be male.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just got boosted (with Pfeizer). Although the guy didn't swab my arm before the stab, so now I'm paranoid I'm going to die of gangrene or something.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm of Irish ancestry, but unfortunately further back than my grandparents. So now my only hope of automatic freedom from Plagueland is Scottish independence (my mum was born there). And I'm not remotely confident that even if the SNP won a crushing supermajority in Indyref 2, the Tories (or Labour, for that matter) would feel any urge to abide by the result.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

forkboy84 posted:

God it ruled when I was a kid & I'd go to the bank with my bank book & they'd fill it in & despite having done nothing I HAD MORE MONEY. It was magical.
I had a bog-standard Post Office savings account a while back (late 90s? Early 2000s?) that for a while had an insane interest rate, at least 7%. Theresa May was wrong: there was a magic money tree. The Tories banged copper nails into it and ringed the bark so their mates could chop it down and build flats.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

Frost has walked out of the government
I would say they surely couldn't find anyone worse to deal with Brexit, but this government would go "challenge accepted".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Sure, every Tory leader in the past 50 years ended their career in humiliating failure by either losing an election or being backstabbed and deposed in a leadership challenge, or both, but I will be the exception who stays in Number 10 for the rest of my life!"

[Monkey's paw puts itself on standby]

Edit: wouldn't a WhatsApp contact actually spell the person's name correctly?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 18, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress kind of pissweak god can be stopped with a golden nail through the heart..?
Jesus is a Cyberman, who knew? Who. Knew? [Taps nose]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Good on Chile. (I'm sure the CIA are already activating their contingency plans.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Work Meeting told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Says the man who was unaware that France is a short distance across the English Channel from Dover.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Convex posted:

lol wtf is this magazine

:shepicide:
Has anyone ever collated a list of the brainworm/terf/straight-up-fash commentariat for ease of avoidance? (Failing that, a list of anyone in the UK media who has ever written for the Spectator, as there's probably a 95% correlation.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

keep punching joe posted:

Thatcher at least invented a poo poo type of ice cream, what's Truss ever done.
For ages I thought she wrote Eats, Shoots And Leaves, but...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

happyhippy posted:

gently caress knows if its true but I heard the taxi drivers in Belfast carry a pointy long screwdriver in their driver seat pocket for their own protection.
If in trouble in the car or outside, easy to grab, stab stab stab, and 'I grabbed the nearest thing I had in my car y'honor' excuse.
Once rode in a taxi in Antigua that had a machete under the driver's seat. :stare:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Necrothatcher posted:

Everyone seems a bit narky in this thread of late.
We're trapped on Plague/Paedo/Terf Island with the absolute worst possible people in charge during a pandemic and a self-inflicted economic headshot. I'm surprised the thread isn't just a series of incoherent screams of rage and despair.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
To me, Raab looks like the military officer in a zombie film who would sacrifice countless civilian lives to save the VIPs. It's that intense but slightly dead-eyed stare he has, that tells you he's calculated your worth and already decided it's not enough.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Weird legal question that a goon may be able to answer: could someone be done for contempt of court *after* the verdict has been delivered, and technically the result of the trial can no longer be influenced? (Not something I'm planning to do myself, it's for a story I'm writing.)

Basically, if the foreman said "Not guilty... [waits for stunned/relieved reactions to die down] but [EVIDENCE] proves that the real killer is sitting right there! [points at someone in front row of the gallery]", what (if any) punishment could the judge hit them with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm assuming - and hoping - OP is trying to write some fiction rather than sitting in the jury room waiting for our advice, in which case I'd say they'd be better off ignoring the above and just going with the dramatic option (complete with being shouted at by the judge).
Yes, fortunately. I've already written some lighthearted 'amateur detective with a gimmick' stories with the same main character, and the premise for this one is that he gets called for jury duty in a murder trial, which looks like an absolute slam-dunk conviction... until he spots something in the evidence that the police considered so trivial they ignored it, but with his esoteric knowledge he realises the whole case falls apart. The actual killer gave evidence that with the defendant innocent means they're the only other possible suspect. So he then has to convince the other jurors, and do his dramatic reveal after delivering the not guilty verdict.

It's not Rumpole, but I'd like to be at least vaguely realistic in the judge's reaction (I'm tempted to have the police open a new investigation against the real killer, but have my detective still get a week in pokey for contempt because the judge is a dick.)

I've done jury service in the past, but a lot of my memories of it have faded because of how boring the entire process is.