Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Count me as another person who just can’t be associated with the current labour party. My MP’s ‘alright’ and he’s hardly going to lose his seat (Jeff Smith, manc) so it’s pretty symbolic, but the leadership hates me and opposes just about everything I think is important, and just for my psychological wellbeing I’m not going to give my implicit consent to it.

If I lived in a marginal with an SCG member standing my moral calculus might be different.

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

When they were asked in the press conference if they’d be doing boosters over christmas/boxing day and the bank holidays, as far as I can tell they made up the plan that second. None of my GP friends had heard anything about it prior.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only question is how much of this panic is background-radiation incompetence, how much distraction from all the party stuff, and how much genuine concern about Omicron? I have a horrible suspicion that it's mostly the latter, with the scandals just penning in the ability of the government to impose NPIs.

🤷‍♂️ The hospitalisation numbers at the moment are obviously bad but they’re not really that much worse than how it’s been sitting for the last few months - which is unforgivable but makes the sudden media pivot to “the NHS is on its knees” very obviously the result of briefing from No 10. I probably shouldn’t say exactly where I work but our numbers in Covid ICU are down significantly compared to a month ago. SAGE’s modelling predicts things are going to get worse soon.

But that would require the govt to be actually planning in advance for what might be coming, which would be seriously out of character. I think at least part of it is that it helps to divert attention from the rapidly ballooning waiting lists for everything else (private companies are licking their lips at the thought of outsourcing for ‘waiting list reduction’, so it’s in their interests to make things worse).

I’m not a virologist or an epidemiologist. The 2 recent papers in the NEJM on booster vaccines are reason for optimism. I think the most important thing we could do right now is vaccinate the whole drat planet to reduce the rate of dangerous mutation to as low as is feasible.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Regardless of everything else loathsome about him, the fact Starmer didn’t even try to extract any concessions in exchange for supporting the plan B vote tells you everything about his political nous.

Sorry, I’m ‘on one’ today. It makes me anxious to even post about covid cause I don’t want to express myself poorly (more than usual).

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

One of the physios I worked with back in May last year said he wasn't certain covid existed lol. He also loved trump

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Unrelated, in PMQs today Johnson briefly muttered something about Starmer "quaffing beer" in response to a question about christmas parties. Is this a reference to anything in particular?

Sorry for the sun link: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14826418/keir-starmer-beer-indoor-gathering/

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It owned and now I need a hug.

Half the negative reviews are cowards complaining it was too bleak, the other half are the exact people it's parodying.

There are a lot of unfavourable comparisons to Dr Strangelove, complaining that Don't Look Up lacked the sublty of good satire. And I keep thinking - was mineshaft gap subtle? Was "I don't shun women, but I do deny them my essence" subtle? Both films are an exasperated howl at how loving stupid the situation is, gently caress being subtle.

Also part of the message of the film is “even when you’re being as obvious as you physically can, it still doesn’t cut through”.

I have a couple of ice axes in the chest of drawers by my bed (with the rest of my hiking stuff!) which I’d try to swing menacingly while I piss myself in fear.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Good take on Don’t Look Up: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/12/critics-of-dont-look-up-are-missing-the-entire-point

quote:

I can tell that a leftist, rather than a liberal, was behind the storyline for this film, precisely because it does not say what some reviewers think it does. This is not the film Idiocracy, depicting us all as dumb consumerist sheeple. This is a film with great faith in humanity, and cynicism only about the institutions we have built and the particular people who hold power.
[…]
It is a similar moral to Albert Camus’ “Myth of Sisyphus”: the near-certainty of failure should not lead to resignation, but to even more determination. To end your life contentedly and without regrets, you need to know that you tried, regardless of the outcome.

My main takeaway from christmas this year is that starve-the-beast has worked totally on my dad, he’s lost faith in the NHS because his friend has had an - admittedly - awful experience of it recently and doesn’t think it could be saved with proper funding because…well, Good Things Aren’t Possible.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really see how you can effectively "privatise" the elements of the NHS that are under strain because private enterprise doesn't do that stuff and never has.

To reply from pages and pages ago: I think rather than “patient pays” privatisation it will be outsourcing to private companies under the guise of ‘waiting list reduction’.

I think it’ll be significantly more expensive than just putting money into the NHS to do the same would be, but:
- Helps achieve the goal of managed decline of the NHS.
- Genuine ideology-for-ideology’s sake “it is public and therefore it must be privatised”.
- From a class solidarity point of view, even if it’s a colossal waste of money at least it’s a bung to their friends.

Test-and-trace was a helpful dry run for them: ineffectively privatised at huge cost and no national benefit, but undermines the NHS and chucks more money to mates.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Also even if it manages to be totally transparent to the patients (lol no), having different workers being technically employed by different private companies is great for ruining solidarity among workers.

This is a really good point I hadn’t thought enough about before.

Radio 4 is playing a feature on whether Liz Truss is electable. Their two interviews are her agent and her former special advisor. Lmao

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/keeptheban_/status/1476227890371043340

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Positive LFT havers, how long did it take for the dreaded line to turn up? They say to wait half an hour/fifteen minutes depending on the test to be sure, but it seems to me unlikely that it'd suddenly turn up when the test has gone white, like old school dog poo poo (remember that? remember the good old days?)

Another negative LFT. Gonna wait a few more hours and then try again. If that one's negative then I'll think about emerging from my hole.

My friend’s took a good 20 minutes, we were all surprised. The next day it was immediate so presumably right on the threshold of detection on the first day. My siblings’ (they’re okay!) were immediate and hilariously dark, like “gently caress yeah you have covid”

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking about Colds and Covids, I was sure I saw an article that talked about this idea that the common cold would take up the spaces that Covid tries to infect and provides a temporary immunity(?) to Covid while you have it.