Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Is this new

I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just doing my calendar for next year and I notice Boxing Day comes before Christmas day.

Broken Britain

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's because Xmas Day is on a Sunday so the substitute day is the Tuesday.

I know why but IT'S NOT RIGHT

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Angrymog posted:

It was mentioned in the last thread with no follow-up, so does anyone know what is wrong with The Donkey Sanctuary as a charity?

I'd also like to know this as a very nice colleague of mine recently left to work there

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't know where the art generator can be found but could someone please plug in the two thread shibboleths, This Is Bad For Jeremy Corbyn and David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

I'm still in shock over this. Imagine drawing up policies with the intention of killing as many people as possible? How the gently caress can someone wake up one day and decide to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

are you new to tory britain

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Wow lot of new parents ITT

(including me, hence the 4am post oh yes)

Niric posted:

:woop: congrats both!
7 weeks here and it's still very weird and exhausting but rewarding

7 weeks here too, as of today! :hf:

It occurs to me SA needs a parenting subforum. Goons With Spawns

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Was going to say it's due to the covid lockdown, then i remembered....... Goons always stay inside. :ohdear:

Whenever I notice a birthday around mid-November I think about how it's 9 months after valentines day :quagmire:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Popper pig

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

unilad.co.uk :lol:

For a moment I confused it with Lad Bible, then I found out Lad Bible bought it out so they're the same thing nowadays anyway

LADS LADS LADS

edit: 17 is a prime number m8 innit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Perfect Element posted:

That videos pretty horrible all round really. Don't think that it's really illustrative of anything other than that drugs and/or poor mental health can really gently caress you up, and that the police are incredibly poorly equipped to deal with it.

I'm not sure what else the police could have done in that situation, though I might have preferred a physical tackle to a taser (given the risks that a taser comes with)

That happens afterwards is where the "poorly equipped" will be apparent - there's little chance he's going to get appropriate treatment

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Penis Farting

E: that's my post for today please join me tomorrow for my next comedy nugget

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

Relatable though. I ain't answering any calls from work on my holidays.

Me and the head of the Foreign Office, basically the same

I would simply set an Out of Office reply so that the desperate Afghans would know to try emailing a colleague

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'll vote green because I'm in a safe labour seat. But if David Lammy was on the ropes and some tory oval office was trying to usurp him you can bet I'd vote Labour even if loving Blair was the leader

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I did that thing where I read the reply before the quote and ended up with my brain briefly considering this exchange

Zalakwe posted:

I met Liz Truss in a professional context a few years ago

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

New omicron symptom?

They're finally turning away from custard in binbag?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Doccykins posted:

- Scrap charity status from private schools, ensuring only the truly wealthy can afford them

You could bin private schools altogether and still only the truly wealthy could afford them (they'd go abroad)

Anything that bleeds private schools is good (and I say that as someone who went to one and benefited massively from it)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Omi-shambles

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
lol

quote:

UK falls off second spot in global ranking of pandemic preparedness

US retains its number one position (:psyduck:) despite a Covid response 'generally viewed as extremely poor'

The UK has been knocked off its coveted second spot in a prestigious global ranking of pandemic preparedness.

The latest edition of the Global Health Security Index – a two-yearly assessment of 195 countries’ ability to respond to pandemics – ranks the UK seventh overall after its poor response to Covid exposed serious gaps in the country’s preparedness.

The fall in the rankings will come as a blow to ministers, who, particularly in the early days of the pandemic, boasted of the UK’s position as the second best prepared country in the world.

The 2019 index, published just months before the emergence of Covid, gained notoriety for putting the United States and the UK, which went on to become the worst pandemic performers among the richest nations, in first and second place.

The index, published by organisations including the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security at the Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Economist, ranks countries in six categories: their ability to prevent, detect and respond to a pandemic; their health system; commitment to international norms and practices; and their risk environment, which covers areas such as trust in government and social cohesion.

According to Jessica Bell, one of the authors of the report, a range of factors let the UK down.

“The UK had a low score in the epidemiological workforce… whether that’s people that can do contact tracing or laboratory support. The UK scored zero out of 100 for epidemiological workforce capacity,” she said.

It also scored poorly in access to healthcare, a reflection of the UK’s overwhelmed hospitals and GPs, and funding for pandemic preparedness.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ministers usually like it when blow comes to them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh you're one of those who actually starts work at 9 instead of just logging into Teams from bed to be visible and then browsing the Internet until the first actual meeting?

Pathetic.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The UK has kept a national strategic chair reserve since the 50s that can be deployed at a moments notice in the event that a soviet attack took out all our park benches

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I have an idea - pay every NHS worker a nice fat bonus to get the vaccine (inc. those who already have)

- more of the vaccine-hesitant will get vaccinated

- no quittings

- they're underpaid anyway

- it'll save the NHS money in the long run

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

xtothez posted:

So GB News' plan is to increase viewer numbers by hiring a crafty anchor?

Lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

There was that stupid terf social media thing that uses an AI to try to determine your gender and it apparently will verify trans women quite happily and also some twinks lmao, obviously it also rejects a bunch of cis women arbitrarily because AI is the future.

I need to see this, fashion me with a link

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Why is his hand so tiny

It's not it's just further away from the camera

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Wizard Master posted:

Observing the UK response to Omicron, only one image comes to mind: that of Emperor Nero playing the fiddle whilst Rome burns to the ground.

Nero was in a different city at the time and set out for Rome as soon as he heard the news, coordinated the firefighting response and poured massive amounts of money into the rebuilding effort :colbert:

We can only wish Boris came even close to Nero's disaster management

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If by "sorting all the paperwork" you mean "changing nappies" then yeah

Pooperwork

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
No wait I've got an even better one

Poopoowee

Please accept this as my final answer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I dunno why anyone's surprised he got 14 years for trying to torch the police. What did you expect to happen??

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

If you forego the trial and appeal process, sure. They'd probably be happy with that though.

That is literally exactly what they want. Execution the morning after the verdict

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

You either die a Jeremy or you live long enough to see yourself become a Piers.

Lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Normally when a company does something terrible they just rebrand.

This is more of a debrand

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Bunged

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

We had goose one year and it is much better than turkey imo. One of these years I'm going to get swan.

You gotta wait until the queen is dead first

Then all the swans enter public domain

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm glad the government are handing out cooking tips but this does seem a little excessive.

That wasn't a cooking tip.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

DesperateDan posted:

I'm probably going to roast the beefs this year

The correct move would be to pickle the onions but at least you're not flamin' the hots

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
You're either positive or negative so the speed of turning positive is "it happens instantly"

What an idiot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

SIDS is a pretty apt set of initials for him

He doesn't like it when it's sudden. You can't savour it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Imagine dismantling the welfare state and having your worker drone population quit anyway. Suck it, capital