Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tim Stanley was always a loving dork but he used to have a lot more integrity. He obviously bowed to the inevitable: if it's shouty, angry, deliberately obtuse articles that pay the mortgage, then shouty, angry, deliberately obtuse articles it must be! I've got no doubt that he doesn't actually believe a word of any of that nonsense he's writing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Everyone's made plans for Xmas by now; having them hosed up 'cos Boris needs a smokescreen for his latest scandal is honestly pretty annoying. I don't believe there's anything beyond that for this 'urgent' 6pm press conference.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, 2019 and (and to a lesser extent 2017) the way the country's media and Labour MPs treated the party broke me a little. I will not vote for Labour again unless there is serious change. Labour have gone back on every pledge from Starmer's election and are continuing to go rightwards. This party does not represent me. Maybe they would not go as far right as the tories but I have not one ounce of trust that the people in charge who wrecked everything and continue to remain will not get worse. I do not wish to endorse that with my vote.

Yeah, same: why on earth would I vote for a party that hates me and that actively opposes all the policies that I think are important? Might do Greens next time round depending on their policy stance come the election but I'd never vote Labour again unless the whole party was broken down and rebuilt from the ground up.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lady Demelza posted:

and Labour might be bankrupt by then.

That would be one way of resolving the moral dilemma over whether to keep voting Labour or not, I guess!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it honestly doesn't matter how badly the Tories gently caress things up with Covid etc. Come the next election, if they hold to their usual promise of protecting the gains of older homeowners and landlords, while Labour solemnly affirm that, if elected, they'll do absolutely nothing for anyone, the Tories still win hands down, 'cos their core vote will turn out, while the Labour vote won't.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

stev posted:

I don't care about that dickhead's documentary but this is illuminating to say the least:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1470668406865207298?t=sAzvuX5azNxye1pmEVwaWQ&s=19

This quote from the FT is pretty telling:

The FT posted:

In 1993, David Baddiel and Rob Newman became the first comedians to play a sold-out arena show in Britain, performing to 12,500 people. That once unprecedented number is today dwarfed by Baddiel’s following on Twitter, where close to a million people serve as an ever-present audience for his every joke, observation or opinion. Tens of thousands give him daily tacit rounds of applause and howls of laughter with “likes”. But countless others, protected by anonymity, subject him to a torrent of vituperative heckles.

https://www.ft.com/content/c80cc221-d61a-40dd-b2ca-5a51f16c7608

He's A-Ok with all the hordes of people falling over themselves to tell him how funny and brilliant he is; the people who say that his jokes suck and he's an idiot though, well...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Convex posted:

:ughh: at the loving state of this

edit: lol

Holy poo poo, that is so pathetic lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Convex posted:

At this point I think the chances of a lockdown are more dependent on internal Tory politics than anything we could predict. We could just as easily be in lockdown on Friday evening with PM Truss

It frustrates me that lockdown to relieve pressure on the NHS is even an option at this point, as though there's no other possible way of dealing with it. How about pumping more resources into the NHS? How about re-opening those Nightingale hospitals that were talked up so much in the early part of the pandemic? There were scary headlines circulating around earlier about how there might soon be 2,000 Covid patients being admitted into hospital each day. loving wow. 2,000 whole patients a day, in a rich country of 60+ million people, however would we cope. Seriously, why should this be an insurmountable problem for a country that has our sort of wealth? If the only response we have to another surge in cases is to shut our whole society down again, then something's gone seriously loving wrong.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Thank you to the people who provided serious answers to my grumpy rant :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Guardian article rather glosses over the fact that Labour's performance was utterly dreadful, I feel:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...count-continues

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

Thing is that when voters in North Shropshire get angry at the Tories, it's generally Labour who benefits. The Lib Dems utterly usurping them in the constituency is worthy of comment and discussion, especially since both Starmer and Rayner personally campaigned there.

Yeah, Labour'll be spinning it as how they discreetly stepped aside to allow the Lib Dems to beat the Tory but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

1965917 posted:

Covid numbers have been updated for today and guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

"Daily 93,045, increase of 132,836(38.6%)"

Look on the bright side, at least it'll peak quickly :shrug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gonzo McFee posted:

14 years for protesting

To be fair, the 14 years was for setting fire to 2 police vans while there were people inside them bit, not the protesting bit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Scientists currently warning rhere could be 2m new infections a day by the end of the month, unless we immediately lock down now.

All I can think at this point is oh well, at least the entire country will have had it by the end of January :shrug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

liz truss has been made chief brexit negotiator, i'm sure she'll get a very good deal there, with her folder and telephone everything

That's genuinely one of my favorite pics of all time, she just looks so genuinely stoked to be in her important new job. Its like when a small child plays dressing up and really gets into the role :3:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The thing about the Omicron variant is that it's incredibly fast moving - I've been checking on the stats in South Africa and it looks like it's already peaked there, with cases now dropping off sharply and without mountains of dead bodies, healthcare system collapsing etc. I reckon in the UK, cases are going to peak over the next week and be dropping off in the same way by January. I don't know exactly what that implies for hospitalisations, what with our older population vs South Africa's, but a lockdown seems pretty pointless now, as the infections are baked in at this point.

(As an aside, I've been browing South African news websites before posting this and was surprised at just how little they mention Covid; there's stories about it but it's clearly not at the forefront of people's minds like it is here in the UK.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tarnop posted:

Like clockwork

Well, South Africa's a few weeks ahead of us in this wave and when I checked today, not only was there no apocalypse there, nobody seemed to be worrying or thinking about it much at all, so make of that what you will :shrug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's extremely strange to me that Frozen doesn't end with a big bombastic reprieve of Let it Go with everybdoy celebrating and having fun with Elsa's cool ice powers. It feels conspicuously absent.

None of Frozen makes the faintest sense unless it's viewed through a drowsy alcoholic haze, which makes it a great post-Xmas dinner movie.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Wait, is that a drink or a pasta sauce

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As as I can see, mugsbaloney was posting in good faith and I dunno why some people were reacting with such snarling hostility :shrug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

When will these people learn that grovelling like this gets you precisely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Some optimistic Omicron news from South Africa :)

The Guardian posted:

Omicron-fuelled fourth Covid wave has passed, says South Africa, as it eases restrictions

Cases have dropped nearly 30% in a week, say authorities, as Israel approves fourth booster shot and New Year’s Eve gatherings around the world are restricted.

South Africa has lifted a nightime curfew on people’s movement with immediate effect, believing the country has passed the peak of its fourth coronavirus wave driven by the Omicron variant.

As the head of the World Health Organization sounded an optimistic note about beating the pandemic in 2022, the government in Pretoria removed the midnight-to-4am curfew based on the trajectory of the pandemic, vaccination levels and available capacity in the health sector, the government said on Thursday.

“All indicators suggest the country may have passed the peak of the fourth wave at a national level,” a statement from a special cabinet meeting held earlier on Thursday said.

“While the Omicron variant is highly transmissible, there has been lower rates of hospitalisation than in previous waves,” the cabinet statement said.

Data from South Africa’s health department showed a 29.7% weekly decrease in new cases detected in the week ending 25 December, the government said. Hospital admissions have declined in eight of South Africa’s nine provinces

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/31/omicron-fuelled-fourth-covid-wave-has-passed-says-south-africa-as-it-eases-restrictions

Hopefully, January isn't going to be the bloodbath that some people have been worrying about over the last couple of weeks.