Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

At least one of them - North Shropshire - is going to be very close, the Lib Dems leaked some postal vote preference data showing them about 10 points behind. They have done that at by-elections they are close on recently in an effort to get their vote out. Similar data in Chesham and Amersham showed them 23 points behind. Every time they have used the tactic they have won. If you like a flutter I would get some on.

Reports that Labour very active in the other seat and Bojo visiting a lot which points to it being at risk.

The Lib Dems entire electoral strategy is just to lie about how close they are to winning.
It ranges from plain text "We are the only ones who can beat the Tories" to "We're only 5 points behind on this poll of 100 Lib Dem members we commissioned" to infographics that break just about every unspoken law of infographics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
How many vulnerable young people did she sacrifice to gain the moral authority to call Jeremy Corbyn an antisemite, I wonder?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's really rather fascinating how many poorly thought out plans/policies the Tories introduce that seem to boil down to the ministers in question having precisely zero empathy.
It's one of those things that we should study. Maybe there's a brain issue at fault.
Maybe some sort of deep dive into a Tory minister's brain might help uncover the underlying pathology.

Not like an fMRI, though. Nah, just get a craniectomy done and start poking around. I'm sure we'll be able to find something to write up in a paper.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

from Ed's post-leader career he does seem to have the capacity to actually care about things. I'm trying to picture what Starmer's podcast will sound like five years after resigning. Today on Reasons To Be Neutral we are talking about the best shades of dark blue for formal suits

Keith seems like the kind of person who'd sign on as advisor to Jair Bolsonaro in his post-presidential career as a prison warden.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Imagine being the sort of prick who laughs at Jacob Rees-Mogg making a joke about the imperial system of measurement

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

They've sacrified a Dehenna Davison, a brand new Tory MP to the Marr show as literally no senior MP wanted to go on.

She has immediately gone off message by agreeing that the party fiasco will mean people won't follow the rules.

Hasn't Marr hosed off to LBC yet?

Honestly, I'm intrigued about who they'll get to replace him (unless they already announced it).
Oh god, Andrew Neil's out of TV work at the moment, isn't he?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think if you got Andrea Leadsom, Liz Truss, Gavin Williamson and Dominic Raab in the same room for a leadership debate, you'd risk forming a singularity.

Cronos for Prime Minister?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I've been discovered!

I thought it was funny when people playing Forza Horizon 5 were getting freaked out, thinking their boss was calling them, because the devs added the MS Teams Call chime as a 'horn'.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's still a shitload of misinformation lies around about the covid vaccines and there are lots of people who work in the NHS who haven't had the sort of training that lots of clinicians have had to be able to decipher what's valid science, what's quackery and what's brainworm excrement.

And - as has been pointed out lots of times - there are valid reasons why healthcare workers from minority ethnic groups might not trust the process that delivers medical treatments.

But some NHS staff are just poo poo-for-brains morons, and in a world where the Tories weren't actively defunding the NHS and making hospitals desperate for staff, these cunts wouldn't get hired to actually have any role in a healthcare setting.

[edit]
To clarify, I got my first vaccine dose the earliest opportunity I could get it; my second dose maybe 3 days after it was due and my booster the second day my employer was offering it. And I've encouraged every hesitant colleague I've spoken to to get it.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 14, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Like either you believe vaccines work or you think that a shitload of diseases were all international conspiracies by Big Vaccine to implant the 0.001G vacuum tubes into people a hundred years ago.

No?

Looke posted:

There are a bunch of vaccinations you have to have as a clinical NHS worker anyway, this is no different and jezza is an idiot

You agree that you need those vaccinations before you start the job. It's a condition of accepting the job that you either agree to - and get your new job - or don't agree to, and stay where you are.
Saying "You've got this job already, now we're going to impose a new condition on you, and if you don't accept it and we can't find another use for you, you're fired" is the kind of thing where if it was any other condition it would be considered utterly unacceptable.

I think NHS staff - not just those in patient-facing roles - should all be vaccinated, but a compulsory do it or get sacked approach is stupid and will be actively harmful to some communities.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think there should be carrot and stick involved.
The stick is obviously Fash Saj threatening you with the sack, but I'm not sure where the carrot is besides "keep doing this job you probably burned out on months ago".

Many NHS staff - particularly patient-facing staff - have had an appallingly bad time of it in the last 21 months and this is yet another thing they're expected to cop and go on without complaint.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

The fact this is even a debate is the whole issue. Vaccines are not something that’s a ‘valid arguments on both sides’ kind of deal. Anti-vaccine sentiment is moronic harmful quackery that hurts patients, staff, the whole NHS and society at large. We should stop pandering to it. Get the vaccine or get a job that doesn’t involve you actively endangering your patients and colleagues because you’re a moron.

Cool.
Just to check, though, where do we find the staff to replace the ones we just told to gently caress off?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Shaun Bailey has two additional strikes against him in that he is
1) black, in a party that generally hates black people, and therefore isn't full of people wanting to cover his back; and
2) a bona fide racist, therefore not likely to be supported by anyone else

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're demanding i ask

how did he manage to be racist?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-london-candidate-mayor-shaun-bailey-hindu-muslim-festival-crime-a8566341.html

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Skull Servant posted:

I'm still learning about UK geographical politics, but I think it makes more ideological sense for a rural Tory stronghold to flip to Lib Dem, even if they placed third previously.

If a Tory constituency flips Lib Dem, they still voted Tory.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think that if the filth are out and about kicking, bludgeoning and horse-charging protesters, the protesters have a right to fight back.
If for no other reason than that PC Andy McRoidrage isn't explaining what crime he's protecting people from as he attempts to smash someone's skull in. Or when those TSG cunts cover up their ID numbers - at that point, you're not being suppressed by a police officer; you're getting assaulted by some psychotic apeman looking to see how much blood he can get on his riot shield.

If the police want to be protected by the law as they carry out their duties, they should actually attempt to follow the law as they carry them out.
If not, they're fair game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Answers Me posted:

Do the government have to pay an insane amount of money to take out that kind of advertising, or is there just an edict to make the newspapers do it?

I suspect there's legislation allowing the government to do it for free, for a few specific issues.
And if there is, then a Public Health crisis should always be on that list.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

That's an outrageous ruling, what the gently caress

Awful person has high quality legal representation.

Really, the fact she hasn't been successfully sued just makes it clear how utterly calculated her vile shtick is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's funny; I was thinking (and saying) a year ago that the Tories were just waiting for Covid to be 'finished' and then they'd boot Johnson out.
It turns out that they were thinking about things the other way round; boot Johnson out and then declare Covid to be 'finished'.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Going on a conversation I had with my siblings earlier in the year, I agreed that we would only buy the children in the family gifts.

Turns out I might have been the only one who stuck by that rule.
So really the question is how many people are going to get upset.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was once privy to a conversation between two Teaching Assistants who were talking about the array of implements they had around their bedrooms that they could 'just happen' to use in the event their house was broken into.
The aluminium baseball bat under the bed seemed the most reasonable to the two of them (although hard to argue against premeditation there).
Hatchet and hammer were on the list as well. I feel like if you're going down that route, you may as well have a mister filled with bleach, or an improvised flamethrower.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol at the idea that after two years of being Prime Minister the papers have only just gotten around to the idea of looking up what he wrote and published.

Given how fanatically defensive media types get when you start quoting their own articles/columns/dribblings back at them, it's dark days in Westminster if they're now doing it themselves.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you live in an area with high crime, then making your home look harder to break into than the average home around you will do the trick more often than not.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

But if a nonhuman intelligence was trying to hide its role in the virus, somewhere with a research facility —and a large concentration of animals known to create cross-species viruses— would be the perfect place to cover your tracks.

Pinkie & The Brain made one major mistake - it was the virus, not them that took over the world.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Calls to preserve PPE were - at the absolute, very least - to try to ensure that NHS staff were available to work, because it was 'all hands to the pump'.
The NHS was, and still is, short more than 40,000 nurses (because of Tory cuts) and keeping those staff working was a high priority.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Back in the office tomorrow. No idea when the trains are running, how often they're running or where they're going to.

Still, I should be able to listen to my music out loud without anyone complaining when NWA gets shuffled into the mix.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Funny how they are not being kettled innit?

Yeah, mention something about killing MPs and the filth rock up like they've developed teleportation; harrass NHS staff and the plod can't be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had an idea pop into my head about 45 minutes ago, and for some reason I felt I had to create it, so here you go.