Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The £5 note, which includes UV dyes, intaglio printing, three different types of holograms, and multiple other security measures we don't even know about, costs about 15p to manufacture. Now obviously that cost is particularly low because of the extremely low level of customisation but I'd be astonished if it would cost more than a quid to make a card with the same level of security as a non-RFID passport ID page, for example.

A fun security feature in banknotes which is interesting to look up online but not to try yourself (because it's illegal) is to see what happens when you try to photocopy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not illegal to photocopy bank notes. It's not even *automatically* illegal to make fake notes, the offence is attempting to pass them off as real (or creating them with the intent to do so).

Thanks, I was half-reading the article and half going on what I was told when someone in a bank I worked at showed what would happen as a demonstration of some of their security. It was a neat surprise!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ro5s posted:

Edinburgh seems really booked up, best I could get is the middle of january.

FYI there's drop-in places that have just opened, no appointment needed. Two in Leith and I think some elsewhere. Friend went to the one at Ocean Terminal this afternoon, two hour wait but got their booster.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd put good money on workplaces + HMO houses being the major driver of transmission, not people going round their pals for a drink.

Not very scientific given a sample size of the one large corporate I'm at, but during the first few months of the pandemic the number of covid infections amongst computer touchers etc who could WFH was tiny in proportion to those working in public-facing jobs or roles that couldn't be done from home. People in our mail rooms and call centres who were going into the office the whole time or who had jobs where they worked with the public in some way were getting ridiculous rates of exposures and a lot of positive cases. So yeah I'd definitely say the problem was people who didn't have a choice in who they're around at work or home, rather than having a sly piss-up.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

Royal prerogative means that they can dine on both swans and Sloppy Giuseppe pizzas for free

okay so we just need to look in the Worst Pizzas thread to find some guy posting about having swan on his pizza and then the mods can ban him for being a nonce