Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alctel posted:

Where did the whole 'the left is actually anti-Semitic' thing come from, it's happening a bit over here in Canada and the US as well (noticeably with bernie but that failed pretty spectacularly for obvious reasons)

They tried all sorts on Corbyn (remember when he was a secret agent for the Czechs in the Cold War or w/e?), antisemitism stuck, politics is bidirectional, if it works for the right on one side the right on the other will see that and give it a go and see if it lands.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

Despite not being a supporter anymore I can't say I would change it, at the time it felt like the right thing and Labour weren't any better. Most folk I know at my level got out when it started to get really bad, some have stuck around either because they are true ideologues or just because political parties are like football teams, hard to ditch even when they suck.

I know a guy in Manchester who was a Lib Dem activist for years who packed it all in recently. I think the Lib Dems abandoning Remain/Rejoin as a policy upset him and then some kind of trans or LGBT thing?

They know TinTower, too, iirc :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Twitter mostly wants to sell me Bitcoin.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I move away from Barking and 2 weeks later she resigns. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know you're truly internet-poisoned when the only thing you take away from a discussion about a man with an artillery shell up his arse is "Huh, I didn't know they had sabot rounds back then".

Oh sub-bore ammunition goes back a long way to get more penetration (:quagmire:) out of your ageing gun. There's a reason it's in French and that's because a French dude invented it in the 30s.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I guess just to remind you when you had the vaccination or something, easier than logging into your NHS profile or whatever

Gotta bear in mind that not everyone can handle 'logging into their NHS profile', especially olds. My dad's tech savvy but mum, noooooo not gonna happen

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Honestly creating high quality images of notes shouldn't be a barrier to anyone with a couple grand and a bit of imagination

I really can't imagine that this stuff is built into e.g. camera modules for the Raspberry Pi, so probably not even that much. Imaging something is just not that hard. The hard bit is either the special paper or now the special plastic with see through bits out the other end.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

I’m rapidly oscillating between wanting to get rid of my US citizenship so I can open a savings account

This is harder than you might think and also you are liable to tax on your assets on the way out (which is why I myself never took up US citizenship over there, plus the insane 'we will tax you wherever you are in the world' stuff)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

Yea basically opening any kind of account is a gamble as to whether I’ll be allowed, most financial institutions just want nothing to do with US persons now. If I don’t get shot of this albatross citizenship I worry I’ll eventually be completely unable to have a bank account.

My suggestion is marrying someone British, it worked for my wife :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While the savings account thing is entirely new to me, the US has double taxation treatiea with most of the world, where you can deduct taxes paid to one country from tax liability to the other.

Up to a certain income. After that you gotta pay tax, it's 80k-ish in the UK I believe. More importantly, for most people, you are still required to file a US tax return even if you are under the income limit.

The bank account thing (not just savings) is about reporting requirements re: money laundering and stuff and is not just the UK but worldwide, yeah. Banks just don't want to have to deal with that poo poo so it's easier to just deny expatriate Americans local bank accounts.

Meanwhile, every sane country other than I think Eritrea? Only taxes people on income if they are in fact living in said country when earning said income. The US is a massive outlier here, not that that's exactly unusual.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 6, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

edit. its still crap, you need to be over 40 or special. try anyway i guess.

Have you considered simply being over 40? :smuggo:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Everyone should vote SNP imo.

If it sucks, hit da bricks.

Yes I will do this easy task in my constituency in east London.

After that I'll vote Sinn Fein. Then maybe for Die Linke.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

They are very like the Lib Dems for me, you don't really need to believe all that much to join, but vitally they do have a uniting cause to rally round. The Lib Dems haven't had that in ages or arguably ever. Believing in nothing ideological in particular has its advantages as well, it's easy to get people on board and you can be really flexible in policy terms.

The 'Party of Remain', remember, til 2019 showed that this hell country is really keen on Leave at which point it got dropped like a hot potato. But I know several Lib Dem FBPE types who were very much on that train, one of whom left the party once they said they wouldn't be campaigning to rejoin.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

I genuinely have no idea what a Labour policy is right now. Are they actually giving any out or are they still saying that policies are wrong when opposition is ongoing.

'All leftists should be put into camps' is a policy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I might have a mug of hot bovril on account of the lovely weather.

I wonder if there was a big kerfuffle when they stopped making it out of cow parts, like there was with the greggs sausage rolls.

"It's the vegans Henry, they're saying that we can't drink cows anymore because it's offensive to the Hindus. They've gone mad."

'In 2004, Unilever removed beef ingredients from the Bovril formula, rendering it vegetarian. This was mainly due to concerns about decreasing sales, particularly from exports due to an export ban on British beef, as a result of the growing popularity of vegetarianism, religious dietary requirements, and public concerns about bovine spongiform encephalopathy.[14] In 2006, Unilever reversed that decision and reintroduced beef ingredients to their Bovril formula once sales increased and the beef export bans were lifted.'

It is now back to being BEEFY

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

'Your own thing' is booze right

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah it's popular vote of the membership between two candidates selected by the parliamentary party through a runoff vote (there's a round of votes, least votes drops out, repeat until two are left). Often by that point the 2nd place person drops out "for the good of the party" - i.e. they know they're never going to win so they drop out in the hope of avoiding being purged too hard by the obvious winner - Leadsom took this route against May and got to be Leader of the House, Hunt didn't against Johnson and was exiled to the back benches.

True since 1998, apparently, and there's been a vote of MPs before that since the 60s. That's what did for Thatcher, she got leadership challenged and won the initial vote of the MPs but by a narrow enough margin it was clear she was toast.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

the premiere of Johnny English in Apr 2003 led to an epidemic of British loving which resulted in a huge spike in births Jan 2004 - the so-called "Johnny English Generation". It's theorized that the economic hardship of raising these disgusting ill-conceived children may have pushed some voters towards nationalist ideologies

That isn't actually even the introduction of Johnny English, he was adverts for Barclays Bank first.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dabir posted:

We had a brief power cut in Birmingham a few minutes ago. Anyone know what's going on?

The Russians have invaded, it's WW3, hth

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SpicePro posted:

My Dad emailed me yesterday to brag about not getting any vaccination for covid or for flu and that he caught covid and it wasn't that bad.

I just want to email back 'you are a oval office' 10,000 times then log off but I realise this is a waste of my time and energy.

If he caught OG covid and that's his only protection he is going to be pretty at risk from Omicron.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It's weird that these so-called feminists have jumped on "rape requires a penis in english law" to claim that the 400-odd women found guilty of rape over the past reporting period are all secret penis havers (rather than accessories or joint participants).

I wonder how they deal with https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/15/woman-convicted-of-impersonating-man-to-dupe-friend-into-having-sex for instance

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

Tracy is more a less a unisex name in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_Hickman

'More or less' is doing a lot of lifting there, it isn't, but this particular Tracy is a dude yes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's another one of those weird things where we see it as an Americanism, but it's actually older than the existence of the US and is in fact another example of them having stuck to the original tradition more than we did.

My point was they haven't, particularly, at least not at this point in time. Tracy still sounds like a girl's name over there by and large just like here, nobody seeing 'Tracy' as a name living in Buttfuck, Idaho is going to assume by default that's a man.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Is it? Based on this data, in the last five years (2016-2020) 410 baby girls in the US got names Tracy, while 245 boys got the same name. A 2/3rds-1/3rd split feels like a fairly solid "more or less unisex" to me.

Edit: Reworded, I can see how it'd be misread in it's previous wording.

Talking about how the name is perceived, not who got called it in actuality, though. A whole 600 people over half a decade in a country with a population of 350 million or so is not exactly a lot.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Endjinneer posted:

Some of these were just learning their trade on Bailey's campaign and they'll be around for a while. People on these hallowed forums have posted examples of information being released on left-wingers that suggested a systematic attempt to record their social media output that started before they were prominent. We need to respond in kind. Carve their names with malice.

Politwoops exists, and in the 2019 campaign some of us were in fact using it to research Tory candidates for dodgy tweets from their past. For all the good it did us...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Payndz posted:

And I'm not remotely confident that even if the SNP won a crushing supermajority in Indyref 2, the Tories (or Labour, for that matter) would feel any urge to abide by the result.

If it's a Catalan-style unilaterally declared referendum? Probably not, no. The unionists would just boycott it anyway. One agreed with the UK government? They'd not have much choice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

So your telling me that if I move to Ireland then in five years time I can stop being British?

Giving up British citizenship is a whole other process. Though in 5 years' time PM Priti Patel will probably do it for you for anyone posting in this thread.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Paneer is generally pretty flavourless, goes good in curries and spinach though

Yeah. Cheese acquires flavour by ageing, mostly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

If a Tory constituency flips Lib Dem, they still voted Tory.

This is also true if they flip Labour though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

I wanted to make Feta so I watched a great video where a very sweaty hairy greek man was elbow deep in a tub of milk while squatting on the floor in joggers and going malakamalakamalaka but then he had to wait several weeks and I'll just go to the shop instead

I tried that and ended up with blue cheese.

Edit: making feta, not the squatting and saying greek things bit

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 16, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

My mother drinks a lot of gin and she will drink anything with alcohol in it, so this is also my impression of gin drinkers because gin is utterly disgusting as far as I am concerned :v:

The explosion in recent years (figurative rather than literal) of gin production really always puts me in mind of the old woodcuts because it all tastes absolutely horrible and I can only conceive of drinking it out of desperation.

Excuse me I am feeling personally attacked itt. You probably like roast beef monster munch too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So, uh, if you're trying to get the booster, get an appointment no matter how much of a pain the website is. I just tried for a walk-in. The NHS guys turned up half an hour late and after taking account of those who had appointments they had enough shots left for 4 (four) people - there's a shortage, not surprisingly. I was not that far in the front of the queue. So, the risk of half an hour of hanging around with a bunch of possibly-Omicron'd strangers, none of the benefit.

Also my feet hurt.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

You’d think that Labour would have a clear leftist identity and a standing agreement with the LDs to introduce proportional representation on the off chance there’s a hung parliament but oh well.

You'd have to have the Lib Dems go for it too, which remember they couldn't stand to have Corbyn in office for one single day even in order to get their second referendum. They're all about the 'progressive alliance' when and only when it means Labour people voting for them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

What would Scottish Government be in Scots? Scottish Government sounds what it'd be.

Ask that American guy who made up about 75% of all Scots on the internet by writing most of Scots Wikipedia.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got any experience of degrees or masters in Quantum Computing (or with a big component of it in other degrees)?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some people have been hyping it up as the Next Big Thing that will Break All Cryptography for years now but it doesn't actually seem to be getting anywhere. It's like getting a degree in fusion reactors.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

It’s around £45k/year here in the UK.

There’s a bit of a drive in the prisions reform space to try and get this number out more - we think that a lot of people would at least reconsider their LOCK ‘EM UP stances if they realised how much it cost.

Not a good idea. They'll just start charging prisoners to be locked up like it was a hotel, which is how America handles it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

learnincurve posted:

My aunt found a gollywog my grandma had in my toy box and quietly replaced it with a beautiful hand made patchwork doll (with the same shape as she picked it apart for the pattern), and she turned it into a girl with bright orange pigtails instead.

I'm not totally sure but I have a feeling I had a golliwog as a young child. I definitely remember the marmalade.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Reusable crucifixion nails aren't really a thing. They... uhh... get kind of rusty after a few days.

I think the suggestion is more that the Roman state would buy in bulk. I mean, Jesus was part of a batch of three people, even.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also there's a lot more owner/operators in the US haulage industry (and a more-used freight train system) so you don't get as many branded trailers or ISO containers on the road.

Eh, having worked in that industry in the US, the freight train system doesn't stop there being plenty of lorries on the road. Intermodal transportation innit (freight goes lorry->railhead->train->railhead->lorry) - and also there's plenty of point-to-point by lorry too, even long distances. It's a tradeoff, sending stuff intermodal is cheaper but sending stuff point to point is quicker, so you see both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kale is good when you marinade it in a lil soy sauce/tamari (actually I prefer to use Trader Joe's Soyaki sauce or something similar), and then bang em into the air-fryer until they're a lil crispy. God tier zero-cal snack

Wait you have Trader Joe's in Ireland?