Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Preserve them in formaldehyde, perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Labour in the bin, part 94

https://twitter.com/LKelz93/status/1465995162639904772

Convex posted:

yes but the queen is getting on a bit

Comrade Keith is investigating this comment, Convex. Expect a letter.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

iirc it's just that the Donkey people have an ungodly amount of money compared to charities that help humans in similar straits.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Barry Foster posted:

Terry. That's a name that was a lot more common in the 70s, when everything was brahn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivL4QdtiuM

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You wanted to be Prime Minister, didn't you Harry? You were willing to do an-y-thing...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

What will they do when he inevitably sweeps the byelections, though?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Glinner was writing for Motherland until he had a sudden and unaccountable relationship breakdown with his wife.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

With ID cards, it's a combination (in retrospect) of most of the concerns about civil liberties either happening via the government anyway, or being taken up by the new giant tech companies like Facebook et al. Building a giant database with everyone's details in is more concerning when it's the first, rather than the forty-fifth and ten of them got hacked last month.

Plus how absolutely dogshit New Labour were at tech procurement in a way that the government is still dealing with and will be for years to come. If they had built and maintained the system and Theresa May hadn't performatively shitcanned it, it would be loving garbage on a level to make "Gov.uk Verify" weep.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

unilad.co.uk :lol:

For a moment I confused it with Lad Bible, then I found out Lad Bible bought it out so they're the same thing nowadays anyway

LADS LADS LADS

edit: 17 is a prime number m8 innit

Went to school with the guy who founded Lad Bible. He was a wanker.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I mean that's just a paraphrase of Cummo's tweet right?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Borrovan posted:

Honestly looking forward to hearing what my "I suffered so everyone else should have to as well" Tory voting grandparents make of this. This actually seems like exactly the kind of thing (& the only kind of thing) that could actually get through to that particular type of voter (which I understand comprises about 40% of voters)

They're going to become Toby Young Lockdown Skeptics dot Com.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This suggests they're going to stick with increasing restrictions, right?

My office christmas party hangs in the balance.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Rosie Kay thing is funny to watch the terf press try to dress up as another great injustice - even the BBC article, which opens by explaining at length that she's a great talent we should unconditionally respect - leaves you with a good impression of exactly what kind of boss-at-the-work-barbecue she was.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Posted this over in the Harry Potter threda in Sci-fi Wi-fi too, but if I were a billionaire children's author with the ear of the establishment looking to raise awareness of feminist issues with policing in the UK...

maybe just once or something

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"male-bodied" and "penised" are successive attempts to abstract away from the core principle of "we always know", which, lol they don't

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

Otoh we can't keep shutting down society periodically whenever there's a spike, that's completely unsustainable beyond a few years (at most)

This is the least-effort option so this is absolutely what we're going to keep doing until we have a government that isn't completely poo poo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

They might try but it isn't sustainable because sooner or later pandemic fatigue kicks in and people just start ignoring it en masse. Arguably it already has amongst lots of the population. I doubt lots of people would pay a bit of attention if the govt called a lockdown tomorrow, and even if they tried to criminally enforce measures - whether or not that's a good strategy in the first place - there comes a point where the sheer scale of it means you just can't arrest everyone.

Also Tories love making money, and lockdowns kill business. We all saw how much they dragged their heels the first time round.

The virus also kills businesses. The Tim Martins of the world might want to insist otherwise, but a dead employee can't sell a poo poo pint to a dead punter. That's the pattern we're seeing - while the virus isn't absolutely rampant, the government does nothing, when it is, they intervene once the number of ill people is actually loving everything up.

I don't put too much stock in pandemic fatigue as an actual mover. The vast majority of Britains have stoically ignored the last ten years of creeping authoritarianism, why start objecting now? Piers Corbyn will march on parliament with 20,000 supporters, get kettled and go home. Periods of being told slightly less to do nothing but work and school followed by periods of being told slightly more to do nothing but work and school.

Jedit posted:

There's also the passing fact that the Tories don't give a tuppenny gently caress about human life other than their own.

Definitely not arguing with this.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Oh dear me posted:

Omicron is still at relatively low levels outside London, though probably not for much longer.

I'm sure there are no upcoming events that will distribute large numbers of people based in london out to the rest of the country.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

So do we think labour just couldn't afford to contest a byelection?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guavanaut posted:

loving lmao @ "Another version does not condemn blacksmiths."

Still calls all Romani thieves, but at least it's not bigoted against ironmongers.

The swerve back towards racism is really breakneck.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Omicron goatman logo continues to amuse.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

peanut- posted:

I can’t tell how much this Liz Truss thing is a joke. Could she actually end up as PM?

She's pretty popular among the Tory base but it's unclear how she'd do against the traditional knifing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Never had a big scandal, signed lots of impressive-sounding Brexit deals, pork market enthusiast.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This is the kind of left twittersphere nonsense I generally try to avoid posting here or anywhere, but what the gently caress. What the gently caress is this. The yanks must pay.

https://twitter.com/moltopopulare/status/1472887447063130113

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Comrade Fakename posted:

This took me quite a bit of research just to work out what this was even about. For the benefit of anyone who needs it: these two are a pair of extremely pretentious girls who have an ostensibly leftist podcast called Red Scare, which has become notorious since they’ve galaxy brained themselves into becoming chummy with Alex Jones (of Infowars, not The One Show). The blonde one with the Russian name is also the girl Greg gets with in the most recent season of Succession.

There's buckets of deeply worthless red scare twitter lore to get into (or avoid) but I just wanted to put across the basic irritation of two new york podcasters dressing up in city shirts and saying they deeply feel the "Mancunian Ethos" of The Smiths.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Brendan Rodgers posted:

She has a third-class degree in maths from Cambridge, and is probably very good at maths relatively.

What I'm talking about is I doubt she would be making the maths part of the show herself? I mean it's not like Chris Tarrant was putting all those trivia questions together, they have staff for that kinda thing.

Politely, have you ever watched the maths section of Countdown?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

People generally find out how bad things are from the media, the same media which is now presenting a tiny united front of "don't you dare say the virus still exists"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The UKMT has more parallel universe plots than the average series of Star Trek.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Was wavering on the fence because I generally don't find Kunt and the Gang all that funny, but 'Ladbaby' getting pissy about it being mean to the government has induced me to buy three.

Also it's a riff on the KLF's Dr Who song which is pretty funny.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You have until your oxygen cylinder runs out to determine which is which.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I also had a stab at the Vanity Fair article but yeah, the first three people being introduced being two non-medical twitter investigators and a state department guy who tweets incessently about WWIII did not convince me to devote an hour of my time to their theories.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mugsbaloney posted:

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Reflecting on my part in it, I think part of the reason I got so tilted is that this thread has over the years become kind of like a friend in my pocket who seems resistant to brainwashing. I felt betrayed and hurt by said friend.

I've spent more time reading and reflecting on stuff here than I'd like to admit, but ultimately I think the world doesn't need another self righteous neurotic impotent pseud barking into the abyss, and I think that's the path I've been on for a while now. Time to put away childish things.

Goodbye and good luck comrades

Being told to gently caress off is, for better or for worse, an occasional part of the posting experience. Don't let this put you off completely.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

killerwhat posted:

This has been removed by Reddit mods, because "politics is not a hobby" :(

lol, reddit is such a wretched website

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

One of the thing that's stuck with me from reading part of a big book on millenarism during lockdown is the incredibly long (1000+ year) history of people pointing to things and saying "yep, that's the mark of the beast alright. end days a-coming."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Reddit lost a fine moderator today.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Flayer posted:

Swear down some of the posts in this thread are as stupid and ill informed as gammon conspiracy theories on Facebook, except from a different angle. It does show how careful you have to be about information you receive, even amongst friends

I don't understand how you can hear "Ghislaine Maxwell was a Reddit supermoderator with a billion karma" and not immediately know deep in your soul that it's completely, 100% true.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel like stones marked "haha pedo mod" are ones we shouldn't be flinging around the Something Awful Glass House.

"At least SOMEBODY out there is making us look good"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jel Shaker posted:

brexit starts

The real Brexit Souls starts here.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON