Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Biggus Dickus posted:

What's the latest on the booster and its effectiveness against Omicron? I'm considering delaying mine for a few weeks in case there's a new version.
It’s not an iPhone, it doesn’t work like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Really enjoying this image generation tool

"Joris Bohson"

"Keith Smithers"

"Brexit Britain"

I think the screaming balding face fused with a Union Jack that could be a tubby belly or a penis is particularly evocative.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Payndz posted:

I

What

Just

:stare:

Heavy Disco Elysium vibes

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lungboy posted:

Just complete bollocks from the Tories.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Why do some of these have this border?
There’s a couple of different programs for making these — the pixray one linked upthread (actually there’s a few options there) makes ones without a border, and there’s an app available at wombo.art that runs surprisingly quickly and optionally includes the border with what you typed

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wasn’t Boris one of the first world leaders to get COVID? He could be the first to get it twice, really mark his place in the history books

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

stretched diarrhoea
*looking at the AI image generator button*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect the thought process goes "drug use is a moral failing on the part of the user" > "therefore hurting them is the right thing to do and will stop them" > "anyone who says otherwise is just wrong, because if they weren't wrong then that would mean there is something wrong with my understanding of the universe, and that can't be the case"

It could be considered sympathetic, in a world that only exists inside their heads, but unfortunately also exists inside the heads of a lot of people in the country, because a lot of people live in a shared delusion.
Is it supposed to be sympathetic? I thought it was just “they’re junkies, why are we spending money on helping them? They got into this mess, they need to get themselves out of it”

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

What I am getting at is that a lot of people believe that approach is genuinely the best way to help people.
I agree, but I also think even that interpretation is being too kind in most cases. I suspect that for the majority of the government they simply don’t care about the outcome; they find the problem and the people repellent, have decided this method hasn’t “fixed” it yet, and to hell with it.

I imagine it’s a similar mindset to how I think of flat-earthers or young earth creationists; at this point I don’t really care about the best approach to bring you around, you’re too stupid for me to deal with and so I just won’t.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

jfc lookit him
i feel like this time next year he’ll be walking around in a sandwich board warning of trans people bringing the end times

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This Christmas will be the first time I’ve travelled overseas since this started and wowee it’s a mess. As you say understandably so but I’m going to be bricking it in case our PCR tests get lost in the post or don’t get processed in time or come back ambiguous or

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Vaccine question: what’s the point of the little cards? My understanding is they don’t actually count as proof of vaccination for anywhere that matters, are they just like a receipt or in case a restaurant or somewhere wants to check vaccination status?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m rapidly oscillating between wanting to get rid of my US citizenship so I can open a savings account and wanting to renew my US passport so I can escape Hell Island

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

This is harder than you might think and also you are liable to tax on your assets on the way out (which is why I myself never took up US citizenship over there, plus the insane 'we will tax you wherever you are in the world' stuff)
Oh yeah I know, and from what I understand the system is still so backed up they’re not even accepting new requests for loss of citizenship for the foreseeable future so I’m basically trapped :waycool:

Am looking to pay some smart legal people to figure it out since it seems like such a minefield. From what I can find out though the exit tax only applies if I have more than ~$500k in assets though? Extremely :lmao: to that

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i guess the savings account thing is about reporting requirements?
Yea basically opening any kind of account is a gamble as to whether I’ll be allowed, most financial institutions just want nothing to do with US persons now. If I don’t get shot of this albatross citizenship I worry I’ll eventually be completely unable to have a bank account.

:golfclap:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

My suggestion is marrying someone British, it worked for my wife :shobon:
I am British, but having US citizenship as well makes me a ‘US person’ for banks that don’t want to deal with it (many of them).

And I’m planning on marrying someone Irish, gonna get that sweet EU visa eligibility

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

we regret to inform you the funny images app is turning your images into NFTs

https://twitter.com/LemmaEOF/status/1466950098030530562?s=20

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s been said a million times but social media is so toxic because it’s essentially unmoderated which ends up being the same as actively promoting the minority of shouty fash assholes above everybody else.

Other than these forums I can’t think of a single site or service that has opted for a heavily moderated approach, with a paid entry to offset the lower ~engagement~ from booting out all the dickheads.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

"Yes, it's true, I was at the Downing Street Christmas party, but I can confirm I maintained social distancing at all times since I spent most of the evening in the loos racking up bloody massive lines of taxpayer-funded coke"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Keir Starmer, the Labour leader, said Johnson had not been truthful: “To lie and to laugh about those lies is shameful. The prime minister now needs to come clean and apologise.”
wet fart in a paper bag

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

Labour can't be forceful about this because you know for sure they had parties as well during that time and those will be released as soon as they say something that's worded any stronger than "pease choke me harder, tory daddy"
Labour’s Christmas party:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Deketh posted:

Booster chat: Not had mine yet but the theme I'm getting is that it'll be worse than the initial shots. Not looking forward to that.
Possibly depends on which booster you get. I had AZ for the original vaccine and the first one of those was rough. I had the Moderna booster last week and it gave me a headache and made me feel sore and sick but it wasn't nearly as bad as the first AZ.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

josh04 posted:

This suggests they're going to stick with increasing restrictions, right?

My office christmas party hangs in the balance.
My partner, who is 100% WFH, has driven an hour away to see her team in person for the first time ever at a a Christmas do she didn’t even really want to go to.

Going to be extremely awkward if it gets cancelled this evening just as everyone is ordering their starters.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Calling another full lockdown in a country with >80% vaccination and pretty much every vulnerable person having been offered a booster would, imho, be loving nuts overkill and would probably do more harm than good.
They've done some outrageous things before but trying to ban gatherings on today of all days would be hilarious

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, 100%. Plenty of people totally ignored the first lockdown anyway, if you call a second one after just being caught doing so yourself many more will pay no attention whatsoever, and that's without even taking into account how unwilling lots of folk are to sacrifice another Christmas with their friends and families/spend another winter alone indoors with no social contact that isn't over a computer.
I can’t honestly say I’d pay much attention myself. What are they going to achieve with more restrictions? We all know they’ll completely squander any progress that gets made and the track and trace system has never progressed beyond a multi-billion pound grift.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Camrath posted:

I don’t know why I’m putting this here other than to vent, but I’d appreciate someone telling me that I’m not being a dick by being unwilling to do all of this shite and spend all this money on a trip I don’t want to take and which feels just super irresponsible.
That sounds unpleasant even without COVID. You've got plenty of valid pandemic-related excuses to not go, don't feel ashamed to use them IMO.

I'm supposed to be going overseas for Christmas to somewhere without all the family drama and I'm still feeling increasingly uneasy about it because of COVID, absolutely gently caress doing it and having to spend the holidays miserable.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm not going to vote for a party just because it's supposed to be left-wing. That seems like a deluded and self-defeating strategy.

The fact is that no major party represents left-wing values at this point, and voting for Labour just because it's the lesser evil or because it *should* be left-wing or *used* to be is just wishful thinking and avoiding the fact that the path to a better government is going to be much more difficult than that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely believe Labour would have won in 2019 if it hadn't completely shat the bed on its Brexit strategy. That was the issue of the moment, and they literally couldn't have hosed it up worse. Some of the blame obviously goes to the FBPE brigade for pushing them to argue for a second referendum, but Corbyn et al should rightly be criticised for capitulating to it, and even before that their position was nonsensical and contradictory where it wasn't incomprehensible.
If we’re relitigating the past, 2019 wouldn’t have even happened if the entire Labour right hadn’t been sabotaging the 2017 election to keep Corbyn out.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

They still haven't updated the NHS app for booster jabs. :( They announced it a few days back for some reason.
Do you mean so that your booster jab shows up as a QR code pass? It should do, you might have to wait a day or so if you’ve only just had it done.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

her amazing idea of unregulated "micro-nannies"
I hope Truss becomes PM, everything I’ve seen from her suggests the content would be incredible

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Starmer hates alpacas, hates (Peppa) pigs, what adorable mammal will he declare jihad on next?

I’m betting hedgehogs, he’ll come out in favour of culling hedgehogs again

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gotta say the scandalous Christmas party being a quiz is far more mundane than I was imagining

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

That's good though, like twisto said earlier if it was some adrenochrome fueled dionysia where everyone was painted gold and wearing wings while enacting the sex acts from the banned books list there's a mental disconnect effect, whereas it being something more like what the line manager who quotes Family Guy all the time tries to pressure everyone into attending when they just want to knock off early and have a pint then people are just going to hate them more.

Maybe? I guess my gut reaction was to hate them for having a great time at a drug-fuelled rager; a Christmas quiz sounds like half of them probably wished they could be at home instead

TACD fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 12, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Tbh, if you haven't worked out how to work your insulin around your drink and drugs and pizza huts you're doing it wrong, imho
Diabetic friend of mine would hide drugs inside his glucose monitor, as it’s the one piece of kit he could be sure airport security wouldn’t casually tear to pieces

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pretty wild that people are clinging to “my right to be unvaccinated!!” in december 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fatelvis posted:

At present a very likely outcome of doing mandatory vaccines is having a bunch of NHS workers quit
Would love to hear the reasoning behind this

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It would actually be beneficial to everyone if anti-vax healthcare workers would quit and get another job, much how it was surely beneficial to everyone when all the anti-hand washing surgeons found something else to do.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

be excellent to one another
*terms and conditions apply

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apraxin posted:

It looks like one of those council byelection results where like 100 people vote:
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1471696617950568452
ahh this explains why I just woke up to some Labour MP on breakfast news screaming about how they’re not owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

Starmer has spent the last what, 9 months? specifically courting the Tory vote. He was campaigning in North Shropshire.

It really is bad for Labour that a seat they are traditionally 2nd in has swung massively to the Lib Dems as it repeats exactly what has been happening in every other by-election this year. The Labour vote stays home.
:argh: drat you jumbly crabbin! this is another fine mess you’ve gotten us into!