Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59518669

Yorkshire racism scandal: Martyn Moxon and Andrew Gale among 16 staff to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They announced that over 40's can get the jab now after 3 months just now but still haven't updated their website.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't allegra a kind of drug?

I thought it was a vauxhall from the 80's.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They still haven't updated the NHS app for booster jabs. :( They announced it a few days back for some reason.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended those GeoWizard straight line walks videos. They've been a welcome distraction over the course of a rough few days

I got into doing geoguessr through randomly watching one of his straight line vids. He's a really nice guy. Quite the opposite to your average youtuber.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Remember the London cat 'serial killer'.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2300921-london-cat-serial-killer-was-just-foxes-dna-analysis-confirms/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am staring at a "You are in a queue" screen. It isn't telling me where I am in the queue. I am itching to refresh the page in case it lagged out or something but then I will lose my place if hasn't. This doesn't seem like a good method.

I am in the queue for the queue? :crossarms:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

Is this for the booster? It should give you a number. Took about 10 minutes to get 10k places. It'll also auto refresh every 15 seconds.

If it's not the booster page then who knows?

Yeah cheers I see it refreshing now.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I get this message when I try and re book my booster jab.

"Our records show you have already been contacted by a local vaccination centre about having a covid-19 vaccine that is not currently available through this booking service."

Then..

"If you have had both doses of the vaccine, you do not need to book any appointments. If you think this is incorrect you can contact your GP surgery".

On my local surgeries website they have a pinned message in the covid section saying they are doing one final booster on a specific date for over 50's.

So I basically have to wait until Jan 4th for the booster I booked a while back now? Seems really silly. There are no all day walk in places any where near me. Only places doing one off clinics for a few hours which will be flooded with people.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Endjinneer posted:

If it's looking like a shambles at the mo, it's because the vaccination programme staff had a couple of hours of non-specific warning that some thing was going to be announced on Sunday night.
"Compress your 7 week booster rollout into 3 weeks" is a pretty big thing to ask.

That is totally fair. I'm just starting to get that covid anxiety again which I haven't had for a while. :sludgepal:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For a walk in session where it's a fixed timed session (not open all day). Do you reckon there is a good time to show up where it will be the least busy? Does every one bum rush it at the start?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

What's "fairy up liquid" and where exactly does it go up?

I imagine peter kay saying that in a bit about his gran.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Finally got my booster. I had to drive about 45 mins and queue for another 45 or so but at least it's all done now. I had mine in a massive church which was actually a good spot.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I will tell tens of thousands of people on twitter this but not some bouncer.

https://twitter.com/BellaWallerstei/status/1470839368956923905

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Am I misremembering this or were you able to just buy clothes off amazon relatively easily at some point? It's like 80% of the stuff is just fake. Have amazon just completely given up policing it (if they ever did)?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If we are opening up on this topic. My dad is massively struggling with lockdown mentally. My mum is really worried about him. It's so hard to discuss because we are in global pandemic and it is really dangerous.

He has always been like this anyway but my mum was able to tell him he was overreacting to situations. Now he sort of isn't in a way but he is really close to the edge. It's quite scary.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Conducted my final shopping trip, 8am Tesco (Norn Irn) is very full of shoppers (95% masked, got an N95 taped to my fat face as big nose = leaky) got everything on my list plus a can of Pringles. :)

Barring my monthly prescription & walks (exercise) i don't intend to go anywhere until the end of February.

I'm about to head off to get the turkey.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

garlic is a faff

You just need to get the crushing technique right. You put it under your knife on the board and put just enough pressure to feel it give but don't slam it. You can then just cut the ends off and the skin falls off. Each clove only takes about 5-10 seconds.

I think garlic is one of the few things in food that I never get bored of.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I meticulously checked the cheesestrings last night. Happy Christmas. :cheerdoge:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I reckon you twist it as well. There is no other way it was put in like that I don't think.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For the record I thought the VF article was interesting but then I have not put any serious thought towards the subject (as opposed to most people here who have and reacted negatively).

I think as (hopefully) things start to get better, it will become a huge topic.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've curated my twitter so it hides the "trending" and other parts and only shows posts from the small number of chill people I follow. I never tweet or reply or even like anything. I would highly recommend this.

You can browse the UKMT and you will be updated on any big events but they will be filtered through other people who have to deal with all the bollocks.

My twitter sometimes won't have any new posts for a few hours and when it does update it's generally something interesting or funny. To me that is sort of what it should be like anyway. If you don't know how to hide the "trending" box it's not that difficult (you use ublock origin - the browser plugin). Just ask.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 28, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Testro posted:

On the topic of mental health and being a lurker:

I don't post very much at all, but I have read UKMT for well over a decade. It's surreal being a silent lurker because you feel of being part of the community, but if you post, it's evident that you're not part of it at all (understandably!).

I greatly appreciate this thread; the interpretation of news that UKMT puts forward is extremely helpful - as is the filtering of the news, Twitter etc. I stepped away from discussing politics with people online because it's impossibly tribal - few are open to discussion or considering their stance. I used to try to pay it forward by using the same critical thinking applied here to things that don't matter (such as discussing and interpreting fiction online) - and my hope was that it would help people to grow their critical thinking skills and be able to apply them independently with things that did matter (such as the news).

Anyway, the paradox for me is that this thread is often a great comfort and I'm glad it exists - but at the same time, I know I am not a true part of it (because I don't participate) and in a horrid way, my mental health dives when I keep mainlining the thread, because the reality of our situation (terf island with a right wing government and a media regime that's hellbent on destroying the left) feels a little hopeless, especially in these post-Corbyn days.

I've followed politics and the news since I was a kid, so it's really hard for me to switch off - and I really struggle between 'being ignorant of the world around me but feeling happier' vs 'being completely aware but feeling miserable'.

I think most SA users are lurkers in some form or another. This thread is an excellent resource for politics.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't remember ever sitting around on NYE with my windows open all afternoon.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There would have to be debit card records you would have thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah, shops don't normally keep receipts any longer than they need to for accounting purposes - also thermal paper degrades in like 5 years, tops.

Your bank account would have it though you would have thought. He could obviously say he used cash I suppose which if it was just him is credible.