Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

In the cycles of technology and societal trends vs people finding ways to circumvent them, Twitter doesn't appear to know rhyming slang, so calling someone a berk is fine, but 'oval office' is almost an immediate ban.

I dunno it's nice to see traditions adapt and evolve.

How do they feel about "mewling quim", or have they cottoned onto it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the reason people get so defensive on this subject is that if feels like 95% of the time everyone has clearly made up their own mind already and is just trying to spin whatever new 'evidence' comes out to suit their own ends. One side thinks criticising sources that have almost all been produced by rabidly anti-communist US think tanks and insane weirdos like Zenz makes you a genocide apologist, the other thinks saying 'oh hey china might be doing a bad thing' makes you a CIA-funded psyop. It's a pointless argument honestly because it's just people yelling at each other and, weirdly enough, is very very rarely actually about the welfare of Uyghurs. It's pure ideological grandstanding.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the sequence of events:

1. China is an authoritarian country doing authoritarian country things
2. Chinese policy is disproportionately affecting Uyghur Muslims, because they as a group have become associated with separatist politics
3. There is a broad cultural trend of Han chauvinism which means most people don't much care about 2
4. Some people speak out about 1, China responds by doing more of 1, because 1.
5. The USA, which could not give a drat about 2 but very much wants to cultivate hostility towards China senses an opportunity to manipulate popular opinion.
6. US think-tanks produce research that uses selective evidence to massively exaggerate the extent of the issue.
7. This encourages the anti-china crowd to go balls to the wall, social media is filled with disturbing footage and photographs allegedly from Xinjiang. Some of this is real, some of it trivial to discredit.
8. 4 find 6 very receptive to their genuine stories about 1, are happy someone is listening.
9. 6 discovers that many of 4 don't much like China either, and are more than happy to co-operate, while others are so desperate to be heard that they are easy to manipulate into saying whatever the interviewer leads them to.
10. 6 is now comfortable claiming that China is now literally doing a Holocaust, using a variety of 'evidence' from 4 and 7 to back up this conclusion. Some of their sources are legit, many are not, or are highly exaggerated - often because 6 deliberately manufactured the most highly inflammatory testimonies they could.
11. The Western media and institutions eat up 10 because 6 are highly influential, and it becomes an accepted truth within some international organisations. Going against it is perceived as outright genocide denial, dissuading much mainstream criticism and reinforcing the story.
12. Some people realise that certain pieces of evidence and testimony are completely full of holes.
13. Most people steer well clear because 6 is now a self-evident truth and they don't want to be ostracised.
14. Tankies, being no strangers to ostracism, take this to mean that the whole thing is a fabrication and insist China is a utopia among other insane tankie things.
15. This actually benefits the the narrative of 10, because the only people rejecting the conclusion are utter weirdoes.
16. China also uses 12 to cover itself, claiming that 10 is bullshit (probably correct), and that following on from that 1, 2, and 3 are also bullshit (probably very much incorrect).
17. 16 being a dumb claim, Western institutions take it as further proof of 10.
18. We are stuck in a stupid rut where there are basically no good faith actors whatsover.

Hey, maybe years down the line I'll have my own Noam Chomsky moment, but right now I see no reason to just swallow what the PR wing of a country known for pulling this poo poo time and time again when they want to manufacture consent to intervene in foreign affairs tells me wholesale.

Thanks for sorting the wheat from the chaff. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wow lot of new parents ITT

(including me, hence the 4am post oh yes)

7 weeks here too, as of today! :hf:

It occurs to me SA needs a parenting subforum. Goons With Spawns

Was going to say it's due to the covid lockdown, then i remembered....... Goons always stay inside. :ohdear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Peppa Pig..... in pepper sauce. :burger:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

The state of this

Looks like he tasered himself in the balls...... and quite liked it. :byodood:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At the moment he was tased he wasn't doing that though, and was a good 5 metres away, hence "active" threat.

Don't you just miss the good old days when the copper would do a truncheon snap to the knee and then bowl you over. :allears:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Government now plotting to throw out judicial rulings it doesn't like.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/judicial-review-dominic-raab-braverman-johnson-grieve-b1970625.html

Fascism, here we are.

I can only hope they decide to discard Northern Ireland as a useless appendage (which it probably is), embrace Fascism to it's full extent..... then a few years later hang Boris upside down from a zipline till dead.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems like every other week there's a storm.
Did we always have this amount of storms or is it only since we started giving them names?

Welcome to the joy of living in an Archipelago, i guess. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Right lads.... unpack that guillotine, there's work to be done. :argh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

It's a good distraction to get this ignored; government plans to set themselves above the law by asking parliament to let them ignore court judgements, this is how the country goes into the dark.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Camrath posted:

I don’t know why I’m putting this here other than to vent, but I’d appreciate someone telling me that I’m not being a dick by being unwilling to do all of this shite and spend all this money on a trip I don’t want to take and which feels just super irresponsible.

For your mental, physical & fiscal well being... decline as graciously as you can, if a pandemic isn't a good enough excuse i don't know what is.

Both of you relax at home and enjoy a nice xmas time free of stress.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

UK is pretty much hosed until proportional representation is implemented, sooo.......... good luck with that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Happily i also identify as an indoor gamer, other than no longer having a job & no archery practice life is pretty good tbh.

I have bought a ukulele & guitar to compensate.... currently shite at both. ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Think i will try making paneer next week, fancy a change.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lady Demelza posted:

The process is really simple but I can never manage to compress it firmly enough so it's a bit crumbly.

If will be fun to learn it. :discourse:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

An entire room of perfect Backpfeifengesichter, astounding.

That lad at the front left with the wooly jumper is definitely lusting after the buffet table, he wants it all!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I see that picture and think of all those who died alone because of the *restrictions... and i would be ok having them punished terminally.

*Not that the restrictions were wrong but that they disobeyed them with such abandon.

The inequality angers me.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Right folks, shut everything right the gently caress down until April (which has been my thinking for a while now), one final shopping trip for xmas on the 23rd and that's me done.

I'm fairly content with solitude so it works for me. :stonklol:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Andoman posted:

Amazon have very kindly done all my Xmas shopping trips for me, not because I am avoiding people or anything like that - just lazy

Ah, i meant for fresh food, i have a fridge but no freezer so it's just a hit & run job to Tesco at 8am and i'm done. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

Also hope you're looking forward to cancer

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/16/experts-warn-over-post-brexit-uk-rule-changes-on-chemicals

Is the Republic of Ireland likely to still accept english refugees at this point?

I was already working with ''potential'' cancer causing chemicals for 20 years but it's nice that i escaped last year noentheless. :)

Borrovan posted:

lmao I literally just realised that my daughter is (just) entitled to Irish citizenship through her mother's side, which means if things go to poo poo over here before she's 18 I'm entitled to go live there

Eat poo poo UKailures

e: assuming things don't go to poo poo over there in the same timeframe anyway, I've not got the highest hopes for this whole "European project" thing tbqh

edit: I see you got a better outcome on a later post. :thumbsup:

Food related: I made paneer for the first time, without burning the milk, which is nice. Now it's getting squeezed to death under a heavy weight for three hours and then it's ready for consumption. :)

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 16, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Nice :)

What acid did you use? Iirc with lemon juice or vinegar it can work well as a replacement for chicken in curry.

Went with ordinary white vinegar, assuming a good outcome i'll play around with different flavours and additives... definitely going to do one with garlic for sure. Was thinking of lightly frying strips of this batch in seasoned flour.

As for curries i've made plaited seitan in the past and used that for a chicken like texture.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can this be used to earn Irish citizenship for those that don't have Irish parents/grandparents, by sticking around long enough to earn it by naturalisation?

I think you have to live there for 5 or 9 years, i've heard both numbers being cited depending on circumstances.

I don't know if spending that amount of time here in Northern Ireland would be applicable or not.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Food: the paneer turned out very crumbly and almost without flavour (slight hint of cottage cheese) so i need to work on my technique for a more solid product but happy to make something edible.

Tastes nice in a bun with salt & black pepper. :-)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Yeah. Cheese acquires flavour by ageing, mostly.

The lack/subtle flavour i can work with, need to hit YT for methods to get a more solid result but overall i'm happy with my first batch. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Our about-to-be-born daughter will have British and two EU citizenships eventually but I fully expect to spend most of 2022 sorting all the paperwork

Don't put it off. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

If you catch covid remember to wank to boost your immune system or find someone else with covid to make love to

Preventative maintenance since before puberty (losing the multiples once that hit was a slight downer). :circlefap:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GIN: Discovered Opihr gin a few years ago, nicely spiced and goes well with ginger ale.

I sill have some of the empty bottles as holy hell they have a comforting weight to them (nice bit of selling psychology going on there i think). ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

You would think they would double down on the twerp, god knows he's not helping Labour.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Congrats to all the child havers but honestly I personally can't imagine a worse hell and I don't understand at all how parents do it much less seem to enjoy it

I left all the genetic spread to my sister, she had eight. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Because Scots isn't a real language lol

:can:

Be careful, you might set off the DUP again.

Who am i kidding, just breathing sets those gobshites off. :barf:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sanford posted:

If anyone wants three tickets to see An Evening Inside No. 9 with Steve Pemberton & Reece Shearsmith in Nottingham tonight drop me a line.

We’re not going because of the plague. I’m really angry and upset about it for some reason whereas everything else, including three cancelled holidays, I’ve been really pragmatic about. Had enough of this bullshit!

Holidays are hereby cancelled until 2026, budget accordingly.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

Bene Gesserit training has had some budget cuts, I see.

That gave me an actual real laugh. :cheersbird:

An early morning provision raid to Tesco on the 23rd and then i batten down the hatches for a few months (which i'm actually looking forward to).
We all deal with life differently. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Frost has walked out of the government

Hopefully Boris caved in on the Northern Ireland Protocol stuff and Frosty walked off in a huff.

I can dream... dammit! :argh:

As for the Romans, they had their own blacksmiths as they had to do maintenance on all the body armour ... a few nails were just ten minutes in a days work. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh, it's that sleezy gobshite, he couldn't even remove himself from the living when he crashed. :rolleyes:

Dear Santa, it's been several decades since we last talked... but if you could see too it that Lord Frost is deposited in a freezer for the remainder of his life on the 25th it would make me soo happy (a little bit of anger can go a long way). :pray:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Liz Truss got Frosties job. :a2m:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

That's genuinely one of my favorite pics of all time, she just looks so genuinely stoked to be in her important new job. Its like when a small child plays dressing up and really gets into the role :3:

So long as she increases the chance for reunification here in Norn Irn (pissing off the DUP would be a sweet bonus).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

95% reunification but the loyalists somehow get Dál Riata as an independent kingdom would be the level of competence I expect.

I can't see the Hebrides liking the DUP either. lol

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tarnop posted:

It's a strong bitter taste with sprouts. The soap taste is the same thing but for coriander iirc

To me fresh coriander tastes of soap but i have no issues with the dried version.

Had a friend at work and she was totally addicted to sprouts, her partner hated the farts that followed but what can you do. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Things are going to suck until 2026, i just picked that number as it sounds reasonable to me and i can cope with things for at least that long.

Pretty sure some of my relatives are feeling disorientated already as this is real and they need to adapt a bit yet.

I've always seen my self as an observer of life and not really a participant in it so the solitude & limited social interaction seems normal to me. :niggly: :chillout:

edit: social media seems to be very toxic, i have a very limited need for it.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

I mean the one thing most people felt about climate change was that collective action would never happen because the threat just wasn't present enough. Like, if all of a sudden there was a literal wall of fire moving across the planet then you'd have thought governments would finally take notice that money wasn't the forever priority.

Problem is, Covid-19 is effectively the clearest sign ever that there is an impending disaster that requires focused, collaborative action on a massive scale, with an immediacy and bodycount unlike anything we've seen before, and even that isn't enough to stop the parties and the mates contracts and the revolving doors of journalism, politics and lobbying. It's all or nothing and we're sitting here watching our leaders put their feet up and have a brandy by the fire until this all blows over (it won't)

Such collective good will remain the purview of utopian science fiction... i was going to say; "until we have a real crisis" but then i paused and sighed.