Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Still blown away by that guy who streams geoguessr on super hard mode and somehow recognises a tree as being a bit ukranian looking and gets within 1km of the target

I enjoy that this sounds like a highly advanced form of racism.

NORMAN, THE TREES ARE UKRANIAN LOOKING NORMAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

There is a tendency on the left to automatically assume that anyone saying anti-Zionism is antisemitic is acting in bad faith though, which is kind of annoying imo since it just isn't true. Lots of Jews sincerely believe that the only way to protect the Jewish people from *gestures at recorded history* is a Jewish state, meaning that opposing Zionism is opposing the safety of the Jewish people. But frankly it's hard to engage in good faith debate with those people anyway, since why would they want to debate with people they regard as racist against them (& in any event it's essentially an emotional argument, which you pretty much can't debate anyway).

I find it hard to characterise that argument as "being in good faith" when it necessarily involves being deliberately blind to the actual reality of the situation which is that "the jewish state" that actually exists just does the same monstrous poo poo to a different ethnic minority. So either it involves some spectacularly contorted thinking or it is just some sort of lovely ethnic supremacist poo poo where they literally do not care if it happens to other people as long as it isn't happening to them.

Either way not someone I want to be around to be honest, or waste words on. If it is "good faith" then good faith means nothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The vast majority of the people alive now did not live through it, so I think a better way to look at it is that there are people born since then who are just garbage people, and who look at the past for justifications for that behaviour.

In the UK it is boomer brain believing they lived through the blitz despite having no loving clue whatsoever about it, but it serves as a convenient thought terminating cliche for why they are justified in everything they do or think. Seems entirely likely that other countries would have the same behaviour in different forms. It isn't learning lessons from history, it's finding bits of history to mangle to make the things you already thought seem more legitimate, which is the opposite of learning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The weather today was pretty horrible but the sea looked neat. The foam was becoming jellified and building up in drifts against the buildings near the harbour, weird stuff. Cool to see the harbour in action though.

Also had a nicer evening the other week working late.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like "this has never worked for anyone in the entirety of history for more than a transitory moment, maybe we should do something different" would be quite easy, but apparently not.

Still think a lot of people just actually like being little, or large, hitlers, and work backwards to justify that behaviour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

Wow, without doxxing yourself which coast is that please?

Whitby! Same place a lot of my pictures are from, it changes a lot as the year goes by and we get different weather and lighting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The US nearly imploded last year so I don't know if they are the ideal poster child for stability.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No, but I would suggest that the US's institutional brutality would have been a leading cause of that implosion and the fallout would be quite likely to deleteriously affect a lot of the people who are very supportive of that brutality when applied to others.

The point is not that if you are cruel to others they will eventually get revenge, the point is that the society you need to run to facilitate that cruelty will eventually eat itself, and the US has arguably been doing that for quite a long time even if it hasn't all gone on fire at the same time yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Payndz posted:

Most of my AI art is weird, creepy or both, but somehow "John Cleese eats Brexit sandwich" came out as a true piece of outsider genius.

I remember that guy from bloodborne.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh god that's incredible.

That's just a warhammer 40k splatbook cover lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One minor funny thing from this week was that on dec 1st asda started having the staff on the tannoy yelling at everyone to put on masks, while sainsburys apparently forgot to take off the "wearing masks is now a personal choice" announcement from the store radio rotation and so was blaring it all of yesterday lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

I really want to take up woodworking or whittling or something as a hobby. Mainly because I don't have a big house but there are lots of trees around and some space by the shed to sit and cut wood, and I want to spend less time with technology. Not sure whether to look for a class, or just get a knife and look at YouTube videos or something. Anyone here tried the same, or have any experience with it please?

There are a couple of youtube channels I enjoy that focus on hand tool woodworking which might help you get a feel for it, and also some good starter projects if you have some space.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RexKrueger Rex has a number of "make your own tools/bench" videos which you might like and also he sells plans for his stuff on his website. Also good because he puts a lot of emphasis on not spending money if you can avoid it.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WoodWright James Wright does a lot of hand tool stuff too, helps you to see how it is done.

There's also https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulSellersWoodwork Paul Sellers for some good specific techique instructions.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can probably adapt it into a sawhorse to help with basic operations and then move on to other things, though I think if you are going to be making a workbench you will want it under cover so the wood doesn't rot or warp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the government want to give themselves the plague I am certainly not going to stop them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depending also on how much you like american public broadcasting style you might also enjoy the woodwright's shop reruns that someone uploaded to youtube.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I'm still in shock over this. Imagine drawing up policies with the intention of killing as many people as possible? How the gently caress can someone wake up one day and decide to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

I suspect the thought process goes "drug use is a moral failing on the part of the user" > "therefore hurting them is the right thing to do and will stop them" > "anyone who says otherwise is just wrong, because if they weren't wrong then that would mean there is something wrong with my understanding of the universe, and that can't be the case"

It could be considered sympathetic, in a world that only exists inside their heads, but unfortunately also exists inside the heads of a lot of people in the country, because a lot of people live in a shared delusion.

Guavanaut posted:

57mm, so 2¼"

That's a loving 6 pounder or something :stonk:

From the description it was a spent sabot round, so not the big part at the back...

Just the tip :v:

E: also I want to express my appreciation for the wikipedia page on the QF 6lb'er for including a picture of a crew of shirtless canadians playing with one :v:

E2: also also if it is a sabot round it actually looks more like this so explains how he got it stuck in there:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Is it supposed to be sympathetic? I thought it was just “they’re junkies, why are we spending money on helping them? They got into this mess, they need to get themselves out of it”

What I am getting at is that a lot of people believe that approach is genuinely the best way to help people.

Which, clearly it is not, but re: the question of "how do people just decide to do this" I think it is entirely common for people to believe that 1. they aren't really being cruel and 2. even if they were it is actually doing people a favour.

That way, you see, they get all the pleasure of being cruel to people and also the feeling that they are doing everybody a favour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the benefits of the way of thinking I outlined is that it very easily offers a post-hoc justification for that simple prejudice. You find the object of your ire viscerally revolting, you then quickly and largely subconsciously fabricate a reason why doing the thing you want to do anyway is actually a good thing to do, then you think you are being kind and generous while pursuing a course that is vindictive and cruel, and you then get very annoyed at any suggestion that you or your peers are actually being vindictive and cruel because you simply do not believe that reality is the way it is.

Very visible, I think, among tories, such as how IDS thinks he is helping people. If it were simply a conscious indulgence of cruelty, that would potentially be easier to attack, but what I think has been demonstrated is that it is entirely possible to be monstrously cruel, call it kindness, and a very large number of people will agree with you and be genuinely self righteous and indignant at any suggestion that what you are doing is cruelty.

It isn't an act, I don't even think it's doublethink, I don't think it causes any cogntiive dissonance, it's just that through the power of this way of thinking, reality can be selectively erased from perception so as to facilitate a genuine and wholehearted belief that the world is not the way it actually is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can just be an anarchist and put your sunglasses on while saying all states are bad and they can all gently caress off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it were a choice between the NHS and states then I would probably suggest that the NHS does not seem to protect or offset very well the problems that states cause. If I have to live in a state I would rather live in one with a healthcare service, but I can't say that on the whole I find that situation very pleasant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would probably also be a hot button issue for all the people the state kills, were they not already dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean the state didn't kill them by virtue of being a State, the state killed them because it was governed by people who wanted them dead (or didn't care)

History may suggest that this is a sufficiently common state for the State to find itself in, that it might simply constitute the virtue of the State.

I don't really think that bad governance is separable from the shape of the society being governed. At what point does it become that the society just does that to itself, constantly? It seems hard to somehow externalize the consistent failures as not being a product of the thing that produces them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is, at present, over 40's or by invitation if you have a condition. I imagine they will drop the age limit again soon though if they are planning to hit the target in february.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just think it's a bit silly that all over the world and all across time we have these big hierarchical organizations running countries and corporations and churches and it turns out the people at the top of them use their power to do utterly horrific poo poo literally all the time, and apparently there are still people going "hey now maybe it's just that we have the wrong people in charge, you can't just write off the system"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Nope it's all adults now if you had your second shot more than 3 months ago but it's being done by your GP and they are working their way through their list so you might not have been invited yet. However if there's a walk in centre around you and you qualify (the walk ins do 6 months apparently) then you can get it done there.

Neither the NHS nor the gov.uk websites seem to agree with this.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-booster-vaccine/
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-booster-dose-resources/covid-19-vaccination-a-guide-to-booster-vaccination

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm fairly certain they had a self-igniting Molotov cocktail that was just a milk bottle full of petrol and phosphorus - presumably some clever bugger thought "Aha, because they don't have to light this before throwing it'll be safer and not give their positions away!" and never considered the possiblity of someone dropping a crate of them or something (or, indeed, someone taking their War Christmas celebrations that little bit too far 80 years later)

e: Aha, half-remembered Dad's Army episodes remain undefeated as a source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._76_special_incendiary_grenade

Ridiculous, I'm sure they realised just how stupidly dangerous this was...

:aaa:

:kingsley:

As I recall, the UK had a pretty big surplus of petrol because all the stuff that would be shipped to occupied europe from the US, was stuck in the UK.

So they tried to find all sorts of stupid ways to weaponise it, i think including burying large amounts of it to detonate in the event of an invasion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the gently caress is "peaking" in this context?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say "troughing" would be a better term but it is inaccurate as they invariably get worse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Initially got extremely concerned to imagine that david davis (mp) had a verified twitter account where he posts his kinks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have mine magneted to the wall, will probably put it in my box of weird poo poo at some point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't know I had an NHS profile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

welcome to peppa pig world, winston.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because they are also bringing in laws that require photo ID to vote.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who the gently caress is "las ketchup"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

the ladies who sung the famous 'ketchup song'

????

E: oh that loving thing, I had somehow blocked that from my memory so that's great, now I have to know that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you imagine that any UK government would have any interest in doing that, though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the whole point of voter id laws is to stop as many people as possible from voting so that would be working as designed, at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because what the media and idiots are terrified of at any given time almost never has any bearing on actual reality and is just a reflection of whatever stupid poo poo they've been reading or imagining or saw in a movie once.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was interpreting it as "I have no money because it goes to paying taxes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lebil

E: ^ :argh: