Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Universal credit update, they *might* have competed the work capability assessment before 3 months, they just didn't tell me they had completed the assessment till I called them asking when his medical would be and they said he didn't need one. January/February might get paid properly because right now

£35 a week in council tax amd rent
£10 a week in bus
£10 a week clothes
£30 a week in bills
£10 a week entertainment
£40 a week in food =

£56 universal credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

sebzilla posted:

That's loving rough lc

A gentle reminder that the UKMT Solidarity Fund exists.

I had fair warning that this was coming, so spent 5 years putting a bit away each week which is a "luxury" that very few UC claimants have - to be honest knowing the solidarity fund was there lifted a weight off my mind so it just existing was a huge help.

It's always going to be the people who suddenly find themselves on UC who end up with the most pain, the gap between claiming and money is too high.

Always always apply for old style ESA separately from UC if you have 2 years worth of NI, what messes us up is that he's 19 and didn't so it gets sorted out "within 6 months" rather than 14 days.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My dad is FEWMING about the parties and he's generally a good bar as to how Thatchercunts feel about the current situation. He likes Sunak though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
May is exactly the kind of person who would have followed the rules and wouldn't have even been told about any parties because she would 100% have grassed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Payndz posted:

If Johnson is kicked out in a leadership battle, it'll be interesting to see exactly where the dividing line is between "The PM should be a proper Tory who hates fun and is dedicated to crushing people I don't like" and "I... ain't going to vote for one of them people. You know. I'm not a racist, but... them."

So there is a direct quote from my mother which will go down in history as the most Tory thing anyone has ever said.

"There is a Asian family just bought the house at the end of our garden, but it's ok because he's a doctor"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Regarde Aduck posted:

well yeah, the tories are just doing what they're supposed to do, not their fault most of the voters don't actually know what they're voting for

Keith? The gently caress is he doing? What does he think he's supposed to be doing? I don't think he's had an original thought of his own since he's been in charge. He's entirely driven by some god drat zoomer tech-bro advisor team.

Take off the tie Keith.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Z the IVth posted:

If Terminator May was still PM I bet we would have done better if only because she couldn't have resisted implementing the China protocol and welding everyone with a positive PCR into their homes.

May has the bad kind of diabetes, so you can bet your rear end the airports would have immediately been shut and we would have gone into total lockdown.

Because a Tory's first instinct is to look after number 1.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
May has diabetes that can send her into a coma, which in all fairness is worse than diabetes that does not, no matter what the label on it is, or how she got it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gove is a worryingly good civil service manager, and surprisingly good boss, fortunately his third rate Machiavellian bullshit has so far kept him out of real power. Because he’s fash.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My doctors just cancelled all but emergency appointments because the staff got put on vaccination work.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“It also scored poorly in access to healthcare, a reflection of the UK’s overwhelmed hospitals and GPs,“

Yeh it wasn’t because the GPS were overwhelmed though was it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh so this is what we got

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Remember hugo's house of horrors and it's /boss command that would make it look like you were working?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
90% of the women aged 40-50 I know in real life are called Tracy or Lindsay now and I have no idea why

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

namesake posted:

Okay but who would name them? Someone could stalk LinkedIn and match faces but even if they are not-yet-beens rather than no names then there's no reason why any one would be able to pick them out with ease.

Just takes one random non-tory person on the internet who went to university with them/lives on the same street to go "hang on, that was the twat who"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My lad has been officially put on the incapable for work list but as a added bit of torture, as a treat, we won't know what money he will be entitled to for another 7 working days.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That's like next year isn't it?

January 1st

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ms Adequate posted:

Huh that's weird I've literally never had a decision come without them saying how much I'll be getting on the same piece of paper. Hopefully they'll tell you it's All, but at least he's on the incapable list, from personal experience that much alone must be a load off.

So the dull answer to why universal credit don't tell you how much new style ESA you are entitled to for a week is that I, his appointee, had to attend work search interviews every two weeks on his behalf while the assessment was going on. When the "decision is made" ACTION BOX is ticked they automatically cancel the next job centre interview, which is a higher priority than ticking the "figure out money" ACTION BOX.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Gort posted:

It is a little depressing to see the hold the papers have over the public consciousness. Like, the Tories have been poo poo for years now and were still ten points ahead in every poll, but the Telegraph turns on them and suddenly it's 35 point swings against them in by-elections.

I'm seeing my dad today, going to bring me so much joy when he starts harping on about how THEY have turned the telegraph into "a left wing rag"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Looks like the deradicalization of my dad is going well, last big argument we had I had to explain that he was arguing with 14 year olds on twitter, and that none of anything he read on facebook was trustworthy because it was all twisting the narrative to fit an agenda.

So mum convinced him to stop going on facebook and twitter, and we found him some heavily moderated football and cricket forums and would you look at that, he's now having to form his own opinions based on his Thatcherite past and is OUTRAGED about the Christmas parties instead of defending the government in the face of all logic.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Even the fash in my family don't like the idea of the police being judge jury and executioner.

Mostly because they think the police are controlled by a secret left wing group out to get them but still

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My aunt found a gollywog my grandma had in my toy box and quietly replaced it with a beautiful hand made patchwork doll (with the same shape as she picked it apart for the pattern), and she turned it into a girl with bright orange pigtails instead.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Morrisons have some great vegan and vegetarian Christmas options in the freezer section. Only my son really likes meat so this year I sacked off getting a bird and got him turkey parcel things and us the vegetarian option.

Polish food is godlike for vegetarians, they can do things with cabbage and potatoes that will change your life.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
During my vegetarian years I once compromised and bought a extremely expensive free ranged hand reared cuddled at night goose and the drat thing had as much meat on it as a chicken.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aidan_702 posted:

Well to move away from meat arguments, what are peoples favourite trimmings?

I learned how to make roast potatoes from my mother that are so crispy they’re essentially shrapnel on a plate. Its probably my favourite food of all time. Fluffy on the inside, but on the outside it has on several occasions literally cut through the roof of my mouth. It’s the top, but second is just a gigantic tray of stuffing. Could very happily eat that as a full meal despite pretending that I have a refined, worldly palette.

Oh I am about to blow your mind with my carrots

1. Cut enough battens to cover the bottom of a deep frying pan/saucepan but the frying pan is better

2. Crush several cloves of garlic and add to pan along with a generous amount of oil or butter. Fry the carrots to sweat and part cook them, should take 5-10 mins.

3. add 200ml of water (or enough to just cover the carrots)

4. Cook till the water has boiled away which will be 10-15 mins.

You will be left with absolute heaven. you can also add leeks in with this but part way through frying the carrots so they dont burn.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have another gem

Lemon or orange juice as a garnish swirl on soups, although I use lemon flavoured olive oil.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aidan_702 posted:

Ooh very good idea. Another thing I was taught - have you ever tried baton carrots, very finely minced garlic, a small dollop of butter, and champagne all to fill a little boat made of tin foil, then cooked in the oven till it all boils away?Utterly incredible.

I have not yet but I certainly will, I have a tiny enamel roasting dish I've never found a use for that would be the perfect shape for a boat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lady Demelza posted:

Close. Turkey wasn't a Thing until the Victorians, when one decent sized turkey would feed a middle-class family (husband, wife, children - not the servant(s)).

That's a recent thing because doctors don't have time to see patients who are ill any more. Businesses are predictably up in arms that all their staff will immediately skive off for a month and live it up on statutory sick pay.

Here's a new one, universal credit claimants who pass the new style ESA element don't need fit notes, or at least that's what it said on the letter but you can be drat sure I'm calling them to check.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Convex posted:

lol wtf is this magazine

:shepicide:

The critic was a New York magazine in 1870s and there is this whole chain from it to Charles Frederick Briggs hiring Edgar Allan Poe and giving him his big break, it’s also very likely linked to the earliest British satire/anti-establishment magazines and pamphlets whose writers ended up fleeing to New York.

The people involved in the modern atrocity will absolutely have known this, the god drat arrogant psychopaths

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Right now ML's career is narrating the most Male Author misogynistic poo poo on audible and Coronation Street. Which says a lot about how hard she is to work with given that her theatre and TV workmates in the 1980s included Judy Dench, Maggie Smith, everyone who worked on harry potter and so on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

There is a follow up video 10 days later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlZMQbw1OHY

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That dude looks like he got permabanned from SA for refusing to stop using the R word.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thing about our UC claim is that it's vastly different to Bobby's, what it is is that if he has two years of NI he would never have had to go on UC, it would have been old style ESA. But he's young so it's UC, and then they work out what ESA you should get after the main claim has been processed, until that goes through you have the job search requirement struck off but still have to attend fortnightly interviews by phone.

our problem was we got one evil worker who was crashing and burning her way to being fired, so the phone calls became other DWP workers fixing what she did.

So what we are going through is very different to most people just because of the level of disability he has; we are talking statemented at 3 years old which put him in the dedicated special needs school system and onto higher rate DLA, until switching to PIP at 16.

I would urge anyone who has PIP or the carer of someone who is to apply for ESA if you can and UC if you can't. The problem for us was the length of time it takes for all of this to go through, if he was old style ESA then it would have been fixed in 14 days - we are coming up on 4 months and it looks like we might miss the cut off date for the backpay to get to us in January.

The difference between now and 16 years ago is that it used to be "severe Autism and Learning disability" now it's "severe learning disability" because they don't care about the autism, and it is known amongst the special needs community that if you put the autism down then you are likely to get less points/questioned more. To play devil's advocate on that one though, it was around the mid 2000s when it became a thing where people would "self statement" their kid with autism and apply for DLA, thus loving it up for the rest of us and giving them an excuse to be dicks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Soricidus posted:

Welp I just very briefly crossed the high street and going by what the shops looked like I guess we’re going for herd immunity again?

God help our retail workers, and gently caress the bosses who haven’t reintroduced limits on numbers in their shops, which appears to be “all of them”

There is a new "hilarious jape" old men are doing. They go up to masked supermarket staff unmasked and go, "can you tell me where object is? *cough* *cough*" in their faces then walk away chuckling. Happening to mini about 3 times a shift and the place is rammed with unmasked absolute fuckwads who don't want to do home delivery when there are slots still available.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
She's been sick maybe 50% of the time since working there because of this, and that's being generous, it could be as much as 70%. Not covid just irritating colds and light flu because if you have a cough and you cough in someone's face you are giving it to them, you disgusting old baggage.

Other one is unmasked dipshits coughing on busses and sitting there aggressively challenging anyone to say something like what, cover your mouth if you cough shitstain , 5 year olds can do that.

I have an good story though.

Yesterday there was a unmasked old man who went round closing the windows on this empty, but for him and minicurve, bus. Bus driver pulls over and goes round opening them again to a whining "but aaaam cooold" from the old fart to a "I don't care, I don't want to catch covid".

Bus sets off, old man goes to close the window again and the bus driver says if touches it he's being kicked off the bus. Old man closes the window. Bus driver stops bus opens door and says this bus isnt moving with him on it. 5 mins later with much grumbling the old guy stomps off the bus and starts the long walk home.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

bessantj posted:

Jesus, that's terrible, do they get thrown out?

Supermarket policy (in most places) is not to challenge unmasked or aggressive customers but to inform a manager, but no one does because of the hassle.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Could you elaborate on that? Because it was my understanding that it used to be that you would get diagnosed (by an educational psychologist in my case and by a doctor in my uncle's case), and then take the report to the DWP. As far as I was aware you needed a diagnosis from a professional, or at least if you went in with your reports that would be accepted as proof.

Now we have a situation where the DWP do their own assessments, and generally the first line of refusal is done by people with 2 weeks training who look up rain man on wikipedia and decide it's not that, because you didn't 'look' autistic on the day. You can go in with all the professional prep you like but these dipshits can just decide you looked too happy, or were able to complete basic tasks once regardless of how long it took or how much pain it caused, and over-rule the diagnoses of GPs, consultants and trained diagnosticians.

oh no no this was genuine bullshit artists wanting "a bit of extra money" for their kids, there was a rumour that went round that THEY couldn't "force your kid to do all the tests" and a load of old bollocks about how parents know best and that they should be believed, so a *lot* of people literally applied without any medical proof but ticked all the boxes that said they could contact GPs which turned it into a big system clogging mess. Which ultimately led to the system we have today.

I have friends who worked on the autism charity help lines at this time and they were absolutely inundated with parents who said they had gone to doctors and been told politely to gently caress off when they asked for a statement and what should they do. Now that's not to say there isn't a big problem with that side of the system but the numbers went up too high and a lot of time was spent explaining that if you think your kids needs ritalin then that's a discussion with a GP and no having that prescription would not entitle you to DLA on it's own and sir this helpline is usually used by teenagers who are being failed by CAHMS and need to talk.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
CEX missed the fact that this iMac has a graphics card and undercharged me by £400 lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When the Lego movie came out the Lego stores had the everything is awesome song on a loop

The staff threatened a global mass walk out unless it changed and so it got switched to every 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jakabite posted:

Black garlic is good but should absolutely not be treated as ‘garlic but nicer and fancier’ as I learned when my broth tasted vaguely like garlicky vomit. Also all you people who don’t like working with it are mad. Crushin’ cloves is how I get my rage out on an evening

I once mixed black garlic into my own home made butter, and used it like regular garlic butter and I didn't know what to think of it even after I'd snaffled down the lot like a pig.