Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Good news everyone, we don't have to worry about Omicron anymore

https://twitter.com/Snrovy/status/1466051942774358024

Somewhat coincidental that NASA just launched a mission (DART) to see if they could divert an asteroids course *just in case*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's actually pretty beautiful lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

"Jimmy Savile running through a field of children"

Though he looks very much like Boris...

I'm blond Noel Fielding, welcome to Great British Bake Off

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Chaos Ed Milliband by Chiena Mièville, based on the works if Hieronymous Bosch

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

queen's fine

New GamesMaster looking good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

drat, I'm shocked

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Whenever I notice a birthday around mid-November I think about how it's 9 months after valentines day :quagmire:

Yep, Nov9 baby, and have had my assumptions verified. Turns out you can't save a failing marriage with yet another baby, but jokes on them cause they're stuck on this planet with me now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Cryptorchidism?

You may not like it, but this is what Peaking performance looks like.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Outstanding reply in there:

https://twitter.com/thekarki/status/1466636062206226436?t=W0WcxAVgO5GplCY56H3ypA&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just take a picture of the little card when you get jabbed, this is not difficult

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

If it's like, JK Rowling and she's a piece of poo poo and the work is entirely hers, I find that harder to bear. That's just my own perspective though. you are of course free to enjoy or not enjoy works by lovely people.

That's an interesting case because then you also have the HP movies which exist as their own thing which involved the creative talent of thousands of people and little JKR involvement apart from the initial texts afaik. I've seen the movies and some of them are fun (the Cuaron one at least), but I'd never read the books because gently caress that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You've heard of Rock Against Racism, now it's time for Europop For Fascism :eng99:
https://twitter.com/notesfrompoland/status/1466715342198251527

Lou's unveiling his new Mambo Number 1488.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

A little bit of swastika in my life
A little bit of Hitler, I'm alright
A little bit of Bormann's all I need
A little bit of Eichmann is what I see
A little bit of Rommel in the sun
A little bit of Goering all night long
A little bit of Krystallnacht for the cash
A little hating Jews makes me go fash

Reich number three!

:godwinning:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The bloke was unarmed and not an active threat to anyone, even himself, but was being non-compliant,

I would find a wannabe hardman kicking in my crappy PVC window kinda threatening tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"what are you gonna do, tase me?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

https://twitter.com/EnemyBeauty/status/1467926584317382657?t=4WFMpaaQPCcg_w_lV7i77Q&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Gonna start posting lebillous tweets that Andrew Neil romanced that Thai teenager (who was defiyan adult) using his masculine charm and sparkling wit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How long after you say something dumb can you be excused from responsibility for it?

Don't worry, you're way too consistent to have to worry about that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean we all know that socials like twitter and fb cause literal brain damage, yet we still don't really think in terms of diminished capacity when we evaluate the actions of posters there.

Which is fair, cause I don't know how you draw a line. Like , Monbiot maybe deserves a break for being way too Online, but Glinner should have all his tweets tattooed onto his one remaining gonad with an SDS drill

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Judge them on harm done. Mobiot's lovely liberal political opinions are probably outweighed heavily by the work he does raising public awareness of biosphere destruction. Glinner however has a couple of series of a beloved 90s sitcom about priests now totally dwarfed by a bunch of terminally divorced posting about who gets to use which toilet.

Yep, seems fair

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, the FTPA plus absolutely zero shame or accountability is a pretty powerful combo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There comes a point where the couple of drinks in the morning just get you back to baseline and ward off the DTs, but you carry on feeling awful all the time. Lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Prepare to be welded into your homes - a reliable source

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grey Hunter posted:

https://www.cityam.com/anxiously-op...s-deadly-delta/

According to this, so far no one has died of Omicron (that have been tested.)
Some health experts are saying to let it rip to supplant the much more deadly delta.

It is a natural cycle for viruses to mutate to become faster spreading but less lethal. Viruses want to survive, and killing your host is a bad strategy, you want to make everyone mildly sick and keep on trucking. I was reading something the other day that was pointing out the the 1918 Spanish flu virus is still around, but it's now just one of the thousands of common cold/flu viruses.

Of course, it's still far to early to be sure, so early caution is a good idea.

FWIW this is sheer delusion. Omicron will do everything that the wild-type variant did, but will likely almost completely evade antibody neutralisation unless you're ≥3x vaxxed with an mRNA or JnJ vaccine, or else some combination of vaxxed+prior infection. And even that will still probably not confer a huge amount of protection it seems

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

John Burn-Murdoch (who actually make these graphs) had a long twitter thread yesterday about how early data from South Africa on omicron is looking quite positive that it has much less severe outcomes than delta.

Dude makes great graphs but is not an epidemiologist, and extrapolating from the early stage of an infection wave from a country with such different demographics is stupid, at best

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

So the graphs that say things are bad are good, but the graphs from the same guy saying things are good are bad?

No the graphs are fine, good colours and all. The problem is when you become so good at making graphs that you try to make public health pronouncements. Similar to how in my job when the biostats and programming team try to make contributions to clinical documentation and their overconfidence leads to hilarious blunders that I have to fix because I'm an actual biologist

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Evading neutralisation says nothing at all about how severe the disease it causes, though.

e: Also I assume you've been hanging around in the CSPAM covid thread both because of the doomerism and because you mentioned J&J, which I don't think ever got used in any great quantity here, and not AZ, which the majority of our most vulnerable had, and which is possibly the reason *why* we're not dying in much greater numbers. It doesn't give as good an initial response as the mRNA vaccines but it *does* seem to give longer-lasting protection against serious illness and death, especially with the 12-week dosing schedule we lucked into, to the point where by now - even pre-booster - I would have better protection against serious illness with my March first dose of AZ than the people who got Pfizer in June and July.

I'm not talking about AZ because I haven't seen any worthwhile preprints on its efficacy wrt nAbs and omicron variant.

To your first point above though, obviously I agree. And nAbs are obviously just the easiest component of a complete immune response that's easiest to model in vitro

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

This applies both ways

Agreed, but I'm more concerned by the picomolar affinity between omicronSARS-Cov2::ACE2 than the SA infection numbers tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao

Expecting CON+5 out of all this, CON+10 if it turns out to be an Eyes Wide Shut/Yellow King party

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

it's alright to log off

WHAT

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You definitely should not bother with Cursed Christmas, just chill out man

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not even seeing family that I like who are a short bus ride (or long walk) away. I might go for a walk with them on the bank holidays after the weekend or something, that'd be nice, but it's not worth sitting for hours indoors breathing all over each other.

Go for a nice bus ride with them :yaycloud: keep the windows open

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Finally a Torygraph headline I can fully endorse

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1468705713627316225?t=PAmF6nrfmtwf9NxhlQFeWw&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Also the idea that independence is going to usher in a less hosed society, which uh... I mean Ireland seems like it's just a different flavour of tory so I dunno if that's really necessarily likely.

True, but tbh I think I'd take the Tory-lite cunts we have here over the British Tory-lite wet egg cunts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yup. Table with 9 people and 1 Nazi is a table with 10 Nazis.

I didn't even know Nazi was a player class in D&D?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is possibly the niche online equivalent of that Onion "Marilyn Manson just going door to door to shock people" story, but the bloke that writes Scarfolk seems to be very specifically targeting his terrifying dystopian vision:

https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1468901818398879748

I was reading the new Kim Stanley Robinson novel and there's detailed descriptions of how one of the main characters loves orange slices dipped in chocolate, and I thought of this thread and chuckled sensibly

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Apraxin posted:

am i misreading that, or on top of everything else did she misunderstand the original quote and think that Sylvia Pankhurst's nickname was 'The Spirit of Petrograd'? :laffo:

“A spectre is haunting Europe— Sylvia Pankhurst"

E: lol?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1468935279738331146?t=-17rVod1BvIuvGdpmdTPvA&s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 9, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

Is this a parody account

edit: gently caress me, it isn't

It's factual reporting of a parody country

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol that interview is amazing, he's been fully radicalised by Insulate Britain I guess? But yeah he's a good lad, and absolutely No Lies Detected in that piece

E: and tbf it's at least thematic to the movie he's promoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You could use a public-private key pair to upload the location of your children to a system with absolutely no DBS checks and then the system generates a nonce.

:golfclap: