Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyone else being hit by the omicron post holiday wave in there personal social circles? I'm fine so far and so are my parents, but my sister and her husband (both medical professionals and both triple vaxxed) are both sick right now with covid, and all of the people in my friend circle either A) definitely have covid B) are very sick with something that's probably covid or C) know someone they've recently been in contact with who now has Covid.

Are we just particularly unlucky, or is it like this all over?

All over. I had a very suspicious case of the sniffles the week before Christmas that had me masking up (even before Amazon said to do so) and doing my best to become a weird hermit at work (I work in a half-forgotten corner of a giant gently caress-off warehouse so I'm halfway there) and checked myself for fever every day (never had one) and took some time off despite Amazon going "CHRISTMAS! CHRISTMAS! CHRISTMAS!"

The next week (this last week) the place was hit with such a wave we were at 59% attendance across all shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only multiple nationality US citizens who have to pay US taxes are rich as all hell. If you're a normal person you owe nothing and have no reason except smug superiority to renounce citizenship.

"French-based AAA" makes me especially lol. I'm a US/FR dual citizen, spent about a third of my life in France, paid and owe 0 dollars to the IRS from my time there.

The problem isn't paying US taxes it's having to fill in a Tax Return for the IRS to prove that you owe no taxes.

Especially if you don't realise you have to do that, end up 15 years behind no your US tax returns, despite never having lived or worked there, and if you try to sort it out, it's going to be massively expensive because of how complicated, old and overdue everything is.

It sucks to be a taxable person, but not a citizen.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Happy new year you ding dongs.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

How are u posted:

I really enjoy every post you make. Happy New Year How are u. Here’s to another year of posting!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, that’s the postcard return I was referring to above. The IRS is also in favor of it.

Yeah, good ol' Trump tried to introduce the "postcard" 1040, we got one in 2018 that was technically a postcard... with up to six schedules that had to be attached to it for most of the things that were on the original 1040. I rather suspect too many on the right would "simplify taxes" by just removing EIC and the like but leave all the business tax breaks in. Also, that video's "let the IRS do our taxes" thing expects A. the IRS actually gets the people and support to do such a thing (which lol), and B. it also counts on all businesses correctly filing all their informational returns correctly and on time (again lol). You're also likely to just push the complexity to another part of the process, where people have to try to fix the issues that crop up after an IRS return gets screwed up instead of doing the return itself. One trusts the IRS would have people better at doing the tax returns than the average person (and in this scenario there'd be plenty of unemployed experienced tax preparers to hire anyway), but one idiot will do a LOT of downstream damage in this setup as opposed to just screwing up their own tax return. It can be made to work, but I worry at just how much else has to be improved to make it work that would be neglected on implementation in real life and just create an even worse situation. And of course you still have the state tax returns issue.

hooman posted:

The problem isn't paying US taxes it's having to fill in a Tax Return for the IRS to prove that you owe no taxes.

Especially if you don't realise you have to do that, end up 15 years behind on your US tax returns, despite never having lived or worked there, and if you try to sort it out, it's going to be massively expensive because of how complicated, old and overdue everything is.

It sucks to be a taxable person, but not a citizen.

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations just goes to 10 years max if they didn't try to contact you about it in the first place :).

How are u posted:

Happy New Year! Hope we're still able to vote this year.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

How are u posted:

:toot: Happy new year indeed.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a whole essay to write on how urgent care clinics are a horrible parasitic scam in US healthcare, but that's a separate effortpost.

I would be interested in this essay/effortpost; I think for-profit urgent care clinics are a scam, but thankfully in a number of regions, not-for-profit healthcare institutions have been opening their own urgent care clinics to compete, and I would argue these are far less parasitic and more beneficial to the communities they serve.

That's not even to speak of pediatric urgent cares run by children's hospitals, which have been ideal for helping to mitigate Covid exposure to children that could occur in overwhelmed pediatric EDs.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Happy new year guys, thank you for being the best place for news and political discussion on the internet. This place isn't perfect but it's pretty loving great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SourKraut posted:

I would be interested in this essay/effortpost; I think for-profit urgent care clinics are a scam, but thankfully in a number of regions, not-for-profit healthcare institutions have been opening their own urgent care clinics to compete, and I would argue these are far less parasitic and more beneficial to the communities they serve.

That's not even to speak of pediatric urgent cares run by children's hospitals, which have been ideal for helping to mitigate Covid exposure to children that could occur in overwhelmed pediatric EDs.

Entirely fair; in badly regulated states, “emergent care” exists to extract profits and drop all non-profitable patients at hospitals. The “layer” of urgent care clinics often serves as a rent-seeking substitute that excuses and prevents a more complete care system.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations just goes to 10 years max if they didn't try to contact you about it in the first place :).

There is no statute of limitations on non-filed returns. While the IRS won’t pursue things after a certain point, if you ever want to settle with the IRS, one of the requirements is to have all of your prior returns filed.

I’ve seen this cause massive headaches for people.

Also, I won’t say that the IRS couldn’t handle filling out everyone’s returns, but to do so would require some pretty drastic tax code changes. And processing/deadline changes. And changes to how we handle undocumented immigrants that do work and pay taxes.

These are all things that should happen, but I’m too cynical to believe they ever will.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I really enjoy every post you make. Happy New Year How are u. Here’s to another year of posting!

:mods:

Drunkposting. Lock me away for the same, por favor. And happy new year to you and yours.

e:

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Happy new year guys, thank you for being the best place for news and political discussion on the internet. This place isn't perfect but it's pretty loving great.

Another year gone, another year we have not become reddit. :hf:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How are u fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 1, 2022

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
happy new year goons, goobers and goombas. wherever you are in the world, be grateful you ain't me right now, waiting to fly out of newark. this place is fascist as gently caress. you could chop veggies with these armrests.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Newark Liberty International Airport is one of the worst places I've ever spent a night sleeping on the floor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

How are u posted:

Newark Liberty International Airport is one of the worst places I've ever spent a night sleeping on the floor.

I once had to sleep on the floor at SeaTac. Absolutely miserable experience. Nice airport though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
gently caress 2021 and, preemptively, gently caress 2022.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah, if there's anything that new year's has taught me, it's that I've hated every year that I lived through.

With the exception of 1992. Being 6 was pretty awesome all around.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TheMadMilkman posted:

There is no statute of limitations on non-filed returns. While the IRS won’t pursue things after a certain point, if you ever want to settle with the IRS, one of the requirements is to have all of your prior returns filed.

I’ve seen this cause massive headaches for people.

Well here's hoping I never need to deal with the IRS, I've been skipping out on my tax returns from abroad for like a decade now. I don't make enough to pay taxes on it anyway, so in a way it's like I'm saving them work.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I once had to sleep on the floor at SeaTac. Absolutely miserable experience. Nice airport though.

SeaTac is a horrible nasty place, second only to Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta.

Love,
Seattle Goon

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Hey

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Happy new years, you goons.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

happy new year goons, goobers and goombas. wherever you are in the world, be grateful you ain't me right now, waiting to fly out of newark. this place is fascist as gently caress. you could chop veggies with these armrests.

As someone who frequently travels through that airport (and went through it less than a week ago), you have my sympathy. That place sucks.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Meatball posted:

Happy new years, you goons.

As someone who frequently travels through that airport (and went through it less than a week ago), you have my sympathy. That place sucks.

Lol, EWR is so bad I said screw it and drove back to Texas (maybe it's unfair to blame the airport for flight cancellations but they should have thought of that before being in North jersey)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheMadMilkman posted:

Also, I won’t say that the IRS couldn’t handle filling out everyone’s returns, but to do so would require some pretty drastic tax code changes. And processing/deadline changes. And changes to how we handle undocumented immigrants that do work and pay taxes.

The IRS could absolutely handle it but the tax prep lobby likes taxes complicated

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bel Shazar posted:

Lol, EWR is so bad I said screw it and drove back to Texas (maybe it's unfair to blame the airport for flight cancellations but they should have thought of that before being in North jersey)

EWR kind of sucks without cancelled flights too, it was where I landed the first time I came to the US and it was quite a shock to say the least

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

SourKraut posted:

Urgent care is designed to ease the load on emergency departments. A good chunk of ER patients can be handled by mid-level providers in a non-emergent setting, and screening can escalate those who truly need emergent care to a proper emergency department.

I'm sure there's all sorts of room for abuse but it's not unique to urgent care and in my experience they are a pretty good addition to the US healthcare system

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How are u posted:

Newark Liberty International Airport is one of the worst places .

Apparently the new terminal is nice and the rickety poo poo SkyTrain is going to be replaced sometime this decade for the low low price of over a billion dollars. Enjoy!

Meanwhile, the Hudson river tunnel is probably going to collapse and either way NY Penn station will always be a testament to the power of actively hostile public spaces.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

It's January, assholes.

New thread time?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

90s Solo Cup posted:

It's January, assholes.

New thread time?
Remove months, embrace megathreads

Uspol must live again

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

lil poopendorfer posted:

Urgent care is designed to ease the load on emergency departments.

Businesses are created to make a profit. I see no evidence that what you stated is true.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

World Famous W posted:

Remove months, embrace megathreads

Uspol must live again

USPol and USCE rotating in and out like shambling corpses every few months would be a perfectly functional metaphor for US policy in general.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

USPol and USCE rotating in and out like shambling corpses every few months would be a perfectly functional metaphor for US policy in general.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm going to vote for a third format that will abolish page snipe taxes and legalize 420 posting.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm going to vote for a third format that will abolish page snipe taxes and legalize 420 posting.

US Current Events January, Sponsored by Kate Dibiasci: "gently caress, I need to get high"

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

The Sean posted:

Businesses are created to make a profit.

that doesnt contradict what i posted, in fact it is supporting evidence. ED's are costly to run, far more than an urgent care clinic

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

lil poopendorfer posted:

that doesnt contradict what i posted, in fact it is supporting evidence. ED's are costly to run, far more than an urgent care clinic

Here is what you posted:
"Urgent care is designed to ease the load on emergency departments."

That statement is not the same as the statement, "businesses are created to make a profit." So, "yes," this does contradict what you posted.

What I said and what you said are not the same thing. As well, you have shown no proof to back up your statement that UCCs are "designed to ease the load on emergency departments."

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

They're designed to make money off the load on emergency departments.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

The Sean posted:

Here is what you posted:
"Urgent care is designed to ease the load on emergency departments."

That statement is not the same as the statement, "businesses are created to make a profit." So, "yes," this does contradict what you posted.

What I said and what you said are not the same thing. As well, you have shown no proof to back up your statement that UCCs are "designed to ease the load on emergency departments."

you haven't countered my verifiable claim nor have you provided any evidence for your statement. Kindly start the year off right and post in good faith

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

lil poopendorfer posted:

you haven't countered my verifiable claim nor have you provided any evidence for your statement. Kindly start the year off right and post in good faith

You made the claim. You provided no evidence. Provide some evidence and I'll respond to it. You haven't, though. You say that your claim is verifiable but offer no verification.

My evidence for "a business is created with the intent of making profit" is evidenced by "the definition of a business."

You don't get to just make up a claim and force others to prove it wrong. As well, I already did counter with something verifiable: "businesses are created to earn a profit."

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 1, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Are there urgent-care clinics that are independently owned & operated outside of hospital chains, other than the minute-clinic model at retail stores?

Because here in metro Chicago they're all linked to the big hospital chains. The clinics, as with their parent hospitals, usually won't accept insurance that their parent hospitals don't, such as Medicaid or lower-tier Obamacare plans, but paying cash for urgent care is a lot more affordable than paying cash for an ER visit.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Are there urgent-care clinics that are independently owned & operated outside of hospital chains, other than the minute-clinic model at retail stores?

Because here in metro Chicago they're all linked to the big hospital chains. The clinics, as with their parent hospitals, usually won't accept insurance that their parent hospitals don't, such as Medicaid or lower-tier Obamacare plans, but paying cash for urgent care is a lot more affordable than paying cash for an ER visit.

In Seattle the urgent cares are completely private and unrelated to major networks, at least the ones I've been to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lil poopendorfer posted:

A business can provide a valuable service to society while also being horribly exploitative for profit. This isn't contradictory. That's literally neoliberal capitalism.