Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's Rich Eisen, who is normally a big college football fan, giving a pretty detailed description of how the new $100 million LSU contract for college football coaches is accelerating college sports' transformation with more and more money going back into football and causing smaller schools to gamble huge amounts of money to compete.

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1465764414544433152

meanwhile at the library of this higher learning institution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Here's some horrible nightmare fuel of the school shooter trying to lure out a classroom full of students after he already killed three people by pretending to be a cop telling them that the shooting was over and they needed to come out.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1465802106867269634

I was around for Columbine, so school shootings aren't a new invention, but cell phones and the increasing frequency of school shootings makes it impossible to imagine what going to school in 2021 is like.

The calmness of all the kids is the most terrifying part.

Smart kids, the recognized that a deputy probably wouldn't say "bro."

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Calling American Jews a "foreign power" is pretty yikes.

Israel is in the loving name and the entire loving point of the group is to secure the continued material support of the US government for Israeli atrocities. DMFI has absolutely nothing to do with promoting the rights or interests of regular American Jewish people. They literally ran smears against the only Jewish candidate in the 2020 primary because he was insufficiently loyal to Israel. DMFI is absolute loving scum and yes they do represent the interests of a foreign power

If you are an adult with a fully developed brain, you can easily discern the difference between this poo poo and white nationalist conspiracy theory about the ZOG or whatever

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

FizFashizzle posted:

Notre Dame, LSU or both?

I remember visiting Univ. Of Alabama a few times back in 2012 and 2013 and the buildings that my wife went to for her arts degree were terrible, while the stadium had just been expanded to the tune of $65 million back in 2010.

It is the 10th largest stadium in the world by capacity. For a college.

College Sports are a loving racket and deserved to be capped severely or forced to split from the college and lose any educational benefits and tax breaks.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

J.A.B.C. posted:

Notre Dame, LSU or both?

i assume that's LSU's library after one of the myriad hurricanes that befalls that state

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Israel is in the loving name and the entire loving point of the group is to secure the continued material support of the US government for Israeli atrocities. DMFI has absolutely nothing to do with promoting the rights or interests of regular American Jewish people. They literally ran smears against the only Jewish candidate in the 2020 primary because he was insufficiently loyal to Israel. DMFI is absolute loving scum and yes they do represent the interests of a foreign power

If you are an adult with a fully developed brain, you can easily discern the difference between this poo poo and white nationalist conspiracy theory about the ZOG or whatever

Every American with views on foreign policy or how U.S. relations with other countries should be is expressing an opinion about the impact of U.S. policy on another country. Nobody says CAIR or the Cuban-American organizations are "foreign powers" manipulating American politics.

American Jews can have lovely political opinions without them being a "foreign power" on par with the Russian government.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Every American with views on foreign policy or how U.S. relations with other countries should be is expressing an opinion about the impact of U.S. policy on another country. Nobody says CAIR or the Cuban-American organizations are "foreign powers" manipulating American politics.

American Jews can have lovely political opinions without them being a "foreign power" on par with the Russian government.

Which foreign nation's interests does CAIR represent?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FizFashizzle posted:

tbf this is a fitting metaphor for LSU's football program under orgeron too though

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Which foreign nation's interests does CAIR represent?

CAIR has an entire lobbying project called "Palestinian Justice" in the Israel-Palestinian Crisis.

But, the correct answer is none. You're getting close...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If dark money doesn't do anything then Democrats should refuse it.

"But VitalSigns they can't FORCE billionaires not to spend dark money on their behalf, because technically the campaign is not in control or coordination with superPACs due to legal requirements" to which I say

1) lol :ok:, but even if you truly believe that argument

2) If wealthy donors defy a demand to stop helping with dark money, simply announce that they will be blacklisted from all private access to the candidate and their staff and will be treated like a poor commoner constituent. That would dry up the donor well pretty fast

Oh hm they don't want to turn down the useless dark money advertising that does nothing at all? Whaaaat. How weird.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

CAIR has an entire lobbying project called "Palestinian Justice" in the Israel-Palestinian Crisis.

But, the correct answer is none. You're getting close...

Leon, Mark Mellman literally helped found Yesh Atid and has consulted for them for ten years

He is a personal advisor for Israel's minister of foreign affairs and presumed next PM

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leon, Mark Mellman literally helped found Yesh Atid and has consulted for them for ten years

He is a personal advisor for Israel's minister of foreign affairs and presumed next PM

The guy who ran Obama's Super PAC was literally an advisor to the Tory PM. Nobody says that American Bridge is a "foreign influence" organization. Mark Mellman is an American, by the way.

Do you not see the issue with calling American Jews donating openly to an American political organization a "foreign influence" in American politics that is "40x" worse than the equivalent "foreign influence" of the Russian Intelligence Agency running a secret political influence campaign funded by the Russian government?

They can have lovely opinions without being foreign actors who aren't real Americans.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 1, 2021

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Oh, they're definitely lovely, at least on support of even Israel's worst policies. (None of my business how much they prioritize idpol.) It sucks that a lot of Americans want politicians with awful foreign policies backing terrible governments, but I'm not sure how that makes them "foreign powers" themselves. Can you help explain where you draw the boundary? Say a bunch of pasty American-born weebs started a PAC to advocate backing Japan harder in their various frictions with their neighbors, spending money out of their copious anime merch budgets to sway some elections. Would they too be a "foreign power" in those exact words you used? Or is that just for Jews?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The guy who ran Obama's Super PAC was literally an advisor to the Tory PM. Nobody says that American Bridge is a "foreign influence" organization.

Do you not see the issue with calling American Jews donating openly to an American political organization a "foreign influence" in American politics that is "40x" worse than the equivalent "foreign influence" of the Russian Intelligence Agency running a secret political influence campaign funded by the Russian government?

They can have lovely opinions without being foreign actors who aren't real Americans.

If Jim Messina started a single-issue PAC to funnel money to the UK to do atrocities and make boycotting them illegal, he actually should be called a foreign agent because that's what he'd be

lol that you're completely misquoting what I said in the original post already though. I did not say anything was "40x worse," I said that DMFI spent over 40% of what Nina Turner's campaign had, while the nefarious Russian facebook adds were less than .1% of what Hillary Clinton's campaign had, which is true. The former number is also an order of magnitude larger in raw dollars than the latter number despite the former being an off-year special election primary rather than a general election for what is nominally considered the most powerful elected office on planet Earth. If you think my numbers here are wrong, have at them

Killer robot posted:

Oh, they're definitely lovely, at least on support of even Israel's worst policies. (None of my business how much they prioritize idpol.) It sucks that a lot of Americans want politicians with awful foreign policies backing terrible governments, but I'm not sure how that makes them "foreign powers" themselves. Can you help explain where you draw the boundary? Say a bunch of pasty American-born weebs started a PAC to advocate backing Japan harder in their various frictions with their neighbors, spending money out of their copious anime merch budgets to sway some elections. Would they too be a "foreign power" in those exact words you used? Or is that just for Jews?

Depends, did the theoretical weebs help found the senior coalition member party of the Japanese parliament, and do they still act as an advisor to Japan's foreign minister while simultaneously lobbying the US to support Japanese atrocities? Because again, if they did that, I would agree

Israel does not deserve a special pass for its bullshit and I do not consider them connected to nor representative of Jewish people in the US no matter how obnoxiously Hasbarists insist they're the same thing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
what are the prospects for actual movement on build back better this month? at what point would schumer and pelosi acknowledge that it isn't happening if manchin and sinema keep kicking the can down the road?

it feels like there's been an ominous silence the last few weeks, and if i recall they have to raise the debt ceiling again this month, which seems like it will be taking up a decent amount of bandwidth

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

If dark money doesn't do anything then Democrats should refuse it.

"But VitalSigns they can't FORCE billionaires not to spend dark money on their behalf, because technically the campaign is not in control or coordination with superPACs due to legal requirements" to which I say

1) lol :ok:, but even if you truly believe that argument

2) If wealthy donors defy a demand to stop helping with dark money, simply announce that they will be blacklisted from all private access to the candidate and their staff and will be treated like a poor commoner constituent. That would dry up the donor well pretty fast

Oh hm they don't want to turn down the useless dark money advertising that does nothing at all? Whaaaat. How weird.

Was there nothing you disagreed with in the thread so far, so you needed to invent an argument to get mad at and dunk on?

Dark money should be illegal. The lovely things that both parties agree on are the worst, because it becomes so hard to change. First past the post is a good example, in addition to campaign finance.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 1, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Was there nothing you disagreed with in the thread so far, so you needed to invent an argument to get mad at and dunk on?

:shrug:
Someone is arguing that dark money is so impotent it may as well be useless as it can't even affect a single house election

If the Browns of the world don't need dark money to win, they don't need to wait for all the politicians bought by dark money to declare it illegal, they can refuse it right now.

Trouble is, they don't. They seem to think they need it and they probably know better than random internet posters whether they need dark money or not

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FizFashizzle posted:

Probably says something about LSU too that they put rebar inside of hollow concrete blocks but then didn't bother to grout fill them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You say that like they won't take dark money whether or not they think they need it, because the point is to A: grift and b: crush the left.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that sports money madness infects the entire education pipeline, highschools and grade schools took covid money and funnel it to sports.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You say that like they won't take dark money whether or not they think they need it, because the point is to A: grift and b: crush the left.

Yeah but they do need it, see how they squawk if another primary opponent even hypocritically calls them out on their wine cave fundraisers or whatever.

They don't say "oh I don't need it anyway" they say stuff like

Pete Buttigieg posted:

Senator, your net worth is 100 times mine. Now, supposing you went home and felt the holiday spirit — I know this isn’t likely, but stay with me — and decided to go on pete.com and gave the maximum allowable by law, $2,800, would that pollute my campaign because it came from a wealthy person? No. I would be glad to have that support. We need the support of everybody who is committed to helping us to defeat Donald Trump.

It's only their internet defense warriors who make the ridiculous arguments that all that money buys next to nothing in terms of outcome and the billionaires are all just writing checks for warm fuzzies. The candidates themselves are quite honest that democracy is pay to play and they need the money to win, (for obvious reasons, if a candidate were dumb enough to say they don't need the money to win the primary then the natural followup would immediately expose them as a liar: oh if you don't need it, why don't you turn it down then)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 1, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Calling an American Jewish group funded by American citizens a "foreign power that funded 40% of her campaign" and equating it to another "foreign power" interference campaign of secret spending by the Russian government is pretty awkward. The whole "dual-loyalty" and foreign power thing is a pretty common trope.

At least let us have Hanukkah without it.

israel is an apartheid state, and kindly stop equating being jewish with support for an apartheid state.

Calling American Jews a "foreign power" is pretty yikes.

let's be explicit.

do you believe that israel is an apartheid state and that continued support for israel perpetuates a genocide against palestinians?

if yes, do you believe that American jews lobbying to support an apartheid state is good or bad?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 1, 2021

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Depends, did the theoretical weebs help found the senior coalition member party of the Japanese parliament, and do they still act as an advisor to Japan's foreign minister while simultaneously lobbying the US to support Japanese atrocities? Because again, if they did that, I would agree

Israel does not deserve a special pass for its bullshit and I do not consider them connected to nor representative of Jewish people in the US no matter how obnoxiously Hasbarists insist they're the same thing

Okay. If you're defining "foreign power" as meaning "in control of foreigners" rather than "controlled by foreigners" I guess it's just....unconventional rather than just yikes.

You can see where casually tossing that without explanation might be taken the wrong way though, right? If it was a careless turn of phrase you can just say so too, but people preemptively apologized for you then you seemingly doubled down so it was a bit alarming.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon saying that DMFI supports Israel's foreign policy objectives because they are Jews is an actual antisemitic trope, unlike any of the critiques being made of DMFI

Also you know glass houses and all that

No reputable economist believes that 2.5 million people will be killed as a direct result of AHCA. If 10% of people without health insurance died as a result, then the U.S. would have had nearly 5 million people die in 2008. Same thing with the Porajmos figures. Nobody who has done serious research on the holocaust thinks that more than a million Romani were killed. The total for everyone, not just Romani, was likely several thousand.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 1, 2021

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Killer robot posted:

Okay. If you're defining "foreign power" as meaning "in control of foreigners" rather than "controlled by foreigners" I guess it's just....unconventional rather than just yikes.

You can see where casually tossing that without explanation might be taken the wrong way though, right? If it was a careless turn of phrase you can just say so too, but people preemptively apologized for you then you seemingly doubled down so it was a bit alarming.

I don't see anything yikes about it and I'm not going to back off something I posted just because someone's concern-trolling about a loaded topic. If someone was actually like "hey why do you think this" I would just explain, but Leon went right for making accusations of Doing Tropes

Like if people want to go "ohhh would you define _____ as an agent of a foreign power??" hypotheticals I think a much more salient comparison would be someone like Paul Manafort, especially given my original post in the previous thread that Leon copied over was a reply to a direct comparison between Israeli involvement in US politics and Russian involvement in US politics. Weirdly nobody's brought up him or anybody else in that set in relation to this, presumably because the answer would obviously be "yes of course and so would you"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not just Jews lobbying for Israel's continued atrocities, let's be clear. Anti-semitic Zionism is if anything the mainstream conservative position nowadays, as Israel gladly cozies up to fascists around the world along with liberals. For a few reasons, not even just the Evangelical apocalyptic prophesy; some like that Israel is basically a settler-colonial state that kills lots of Muslims, others that it means all the Jews have a reason to go far away and all conveniently in one place. Also the nazis love going 'See, they get an ethnostate, why can't we?'

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not just Jews lobbying for Israel's continued atrocities, let's be clear. Anti-semitic Zionism is if anything the mainstream conservative position nowadays, as Israel gladly cozies up to fascists around the world along with liberals. For a few reasons, not even just the Evangelical apocalyptic prophesy; some like that Israel is basically a settler-colonial state that kills lots of Muslims, others that it means all the Jews have a reason to go far away and all conveniently in one place. Also the nazis love going 'See, they get an ethnostate, why can't we?'

Oh, that's definitely true. There are plenty of Evangelicals and "Cultural Christians" who have no love for the Jewish people or faith but want Israel to succeed for purposes of Rapture, Muslim bashing, or just to tell Jewish Americans "Go back to your own country!" A lot of them actually do provide both moral and material support to the Israeli right, and the Israeli right isn't really known for turning down that aid. I've never seen them called "foreign agents" when they engage in domestic activities within the US still. It would have really stood out if I had.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i know its cheating to post matty, but come the gently caress on

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1465844125752864770

matty its not actually cool to help your brother abuse women

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

i know its cheating to post matty, but come the gently caress on

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1465844125752864770

matty its not actually cool to help your brother abuse women

Who's his brother? Enrique?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bugsy posted:

If the districts stay the same it will be 45% of the votes getting 64% of the state legislature. Hell it probably be worse.
https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1465799023474970636

https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1465818586509938692

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/11/republicans-wisconsin-ron-johnson-voting-rights-gerrymandering-midterms

How Americans realizing they don't live in a democracy and freaking the gently caress out is not a bigger issue, I will never know. Even the left is just talking about a faceless oligarchy manipulating voting - yeah, okay but could we first maybe talk about how some votes are literally worth more then others?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Killer robot posted:

Oh, that's definitely true. There are plenty of Evangelicals and "Cultural Christians" who have no love for the Jewish people or faith but want Israel to succeed for purposes of Rapture, Muslim bashing, or just to tell Jewish Americans "Go back to your own country!" A lot of them actually do provide both moral and material support to the Israeli right, and the Israeli right isn't really known for turning down that aid. I've never seen them called "foreign agents" when they engage in domestic activities within the US still. It would have really stood out if I had.

It's fuckin annoying that I responded to you with an actual example of an American lobbyist unrelated to Israel that was widely described as an agent of a foreign government for his political activities and yet you skipped right over it to post more vague reductive innuendo implying antisemitism where there isn't any

You also seem to have already forgotten that you asked for the specific criteria I used for my original description, which I then gave to you. Maybe before trying to make this point you should actually come up with an example of an Evangelical who fits that criteria? Just a thought

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Anyone who didn't drop college football fandom after Penn State casually shrugged off having an entire program (head coach, AD, college president, entire Penn St. fanbase, entire NCAA college football fanbase) do everything they could to actively cover up and ignore the fact that preteen boys were being anally raped in their locker room by the defensive coordinator, and having this fact actively covered up and ignored during and after the fact by all the previously mentioned parties deserves to burn in Hell, to be frank.

Literally gently caress every one of them (but only if of age of course).

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Apparently Dr. Mehmet Oz is running for senate in Pennsylvania as a republican:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/30/dr-oz-announces-senate-bid-523530

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Craig K posted:

i assume that's LSU's library after one of the myriad hurricanes that befalls that state

nah its just because the dumbasses built a library in louisiana and did a shitjob with waterproofing with a high water table

tbh it would be better if it was hurricane and not what it actually is which is just groundwater

pthighs posted:

Anyone who didn't drop college football fandom after Penn State casually shrugged off having an entire program (head coach, AD, college president, entire Penn St. fanbase, entire NCAA college football fanbase) do everything they could to actively cover up and ignore the fact that preteen boys were being anally raped in their locker room by the defensive coordinator, and having this fact actively covered up and ignored during and after the fact by all the previously mentioned parties deserves to burn in Hell, to be frank.

Literally gently caress every one of them (but only if of age of course).

ex-defensive coordinator*

they shitcanned sandusky's rear end because they figured out he was raping children and then let him have free reign on campus to rape children for another 10 years after that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

Leon saying that DMFI supports Israel's foreign policy objectives because they are Jews is an actual antisemitic trope, unlike any of the critiques being made of DMFI

Also you know glass houses and all that

No, saying American Jews are acting as a "foreign influence" in elections when they are donating to an American political group and equating them to a secret effort to undermine an election by the Russian government is literally a centuries old anti-Semitic trope. Nobody is critiquing their actual policy. Their actual politics are bad. People are arguing that they are a "foreign influence" on American politics. Despite the group being 100% funded by tens of thousands of American citizens and run by American citizens and that it is correct to label American citizens as "foreign agents" in this situation.

I usually subscribe to the Mel Brooks school of thought that as Jews we should make fun of and joke about being driven from Egypt, Hitler, the Holocaust, stereotypes, and our culture because holding them up in fear or reverence gives them power. But, just straight up saying that American Jews engaging in politics (even bad politics!) is equivalent to a secret program by the Russian government to undermine American democracy is not even a joke. It's just an old anti-Semitic trope that doesn't get used against all of the "pro-Israel" Evangelical Churches in America, the Cuban-American political lobby, or any other group.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VitalSigns posted:

:shrug:
Someone is arguing that dark money is so impotent it may as well be useless as it can't even affect a single house election

Kalit posted:

I never denied it had an any effect on the race :rolleyes: I just find it extremely hard to believe that it changed the outcome of a race that was won by nearly 6 points

Here ya go :) Maybe you should learn to actually read what people post and not

DeadlyMuffin posted:

invent an argument to get mad at and dunk on?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalit posted:

Here ya go :) Maybe you should learn to actually read what people post and not

Oh I read it, you can quibble I guess about how impotent you're asserting dark money is, but if moneybombing a single house district can't swing a few thousand votes it's pretty impotent in my view.

The people spending the money to win these races don't seem to think it's superfluous or they could save the money, the candidates don't seem to think it's superfluous or they could reject dark money since as Democrats they claim to be against dark money corrupting our democracy, in fact Brown signed a pledge to get dark money out of our elections

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 1, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Supreme Court is going to get two gun cases, Roe v. Wade, a case restricting the EPA from issuing new regulations, and a campaign finance case on their docket this year.

Gonna be a fun one.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1465972950943870977

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kalit posted:

I never denied it had an any effect on the race :rolleyes: I just find it extremely hard to believe that it changed the outcome of a race that was won by nearly 6 points

I can't stop thinking about the goon who claimed personal responsibility for a similar swing in a local primary in VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cranappleberry posted:

Apparently Dr. Mehmet Oz is running for senate in Pennsylvania as a republican:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/30/dr-oz-announces-senate-bid-523530

I hope Fetterman chases him out of the state with a shotgun.