Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CommieGIR posted:

Welcome to December. Hope you all enjoy the Holidays. Mask up and Vaccinate for Omicron

Current Events:
- New COVID Variant: Omicron

Take it to the Covid thread. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lib and let die posted:

If I'm being totally honest, I don't want to catch someone's loving flu or cold at publix either.

Byproduct of social distancing and masking is I've gone essentially two years without having a flu or cold (and I, who got that year's flu shot, had a nasty flu in March 2020, which was also a really bad time to be needing medical care). Like why the gently caress do you need to cough and sneeze all over the produce? If you have symptoms stay the gently caress at home and if you absolutely have to get something at the store you wear a loving mask. It would be amazing if we could at least manage better hygiene practices as a result of a global pandemic.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The parents of this kid seem to be some of the worst people possible.

https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/1467184356326354945

Just cartoon villain levels of negligence and evil

Yeah, and it's being repeated all over the nation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lmao I was like "ah yeah I remember listening to a citations needed podcast about this and it's pretty obvious once you start- wait a minute *record scratch*"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

wet_goods posted:

Didn't a ton of those Hillary toxxs get overturned or weaseled out of?

People can also just pay ten dollars to get their account back, you know.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's gonna fuckin own when biden, in the face of horrifying polling numbers, decides to not run for a second term in 2024 and the dems decide to rally behind aoc, knowing that she nor any other democrat could win in 2024, specifically so that they can point at her after trump is elected back into office and say 'see! progressives can't win!' and even the faintest whiff of a fart of a hope of any sort of progress in this country is smothered for the next several generations

i hate this fuckin country and i hate the democrats even more

I think there's an approximately 0% chance that AOC will be hoisted up as the candidate in 2024 in some conspiracy laden plot, but I'm also pretty sure that whatever happens will be as deflating as your fictional scenario.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

you're right, that would take a level of competence and forethought that the democrats have never once exhibited at any point during the last 40 years

Don't forget party cohesion.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point I don't really see what makes Manchin functionally different than a Republican. Judicial appointments I guess?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sedisp posted:

Broken Bewildered Quarantined

Thanks for the new Covid thread title, gracious goon. :tipshat:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

Oh yeah clemency is a big one because that's something he (1) explicitly promised to do and (2) is constitutionally completely within his power and (3) is as easy as picking up a pen, and he hasn't done it.

The usual deflection around here is "well federal weed inmates are a small percentage of the problem" but that doesn't make his promise to give them clemency anyway not a lie. Did he say on the campaign trail "I'm going to ask governors for clemency, but not give any to the sentences I control because ehhh there's only a few so gently caress em". No.

Any of this other stuff you can pettifog around it ("well maybe loan forgiveness is illegal and the document that says if it is or not was just redacted by coincidence", "well the parliamentarian tells the government what to do that's just the sacrosanct rules that no man can change", "oh well the rotating villain in the senate says no because they're just an inexplicably evil person that we also have to vote for") but clemency is cut and dried. He said it. He's not doing it. He opposed it his entire career. He's just a liar who pretended to change overnight to dupe us into thinking he was as good as Bernie on policy but smarter and better able to get things done and nicer to women.

Not to mention the Biden White House firing staffers for past marijuana use.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wang Commander posted:

Use no-man-in-the-loop aerial systems to enforce strict "no humans in X area at Y time" quarantines automatically without allowing for police overreach

Pretty sure that's the setup for at least one Black Mirror episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kater posted:

Do y’all like follow the news? There’s been a new variant called Omicron.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/18/omicron-variant-denmark/

Yes, in a population with high vaccination rates and a small population of unvaxxed, more confirmed covid cases are going to be from vaccinated people, because those are the majority of the population. That is not the same across the board, you're not going to see a similar breakdown in the US where vaccination rates are abysmal, nor are Denmark's per capita covid numbers likely to be anything like the US.

e: To be clear, it's already known that vaccinated people do contract and spread the virus, and the NPI measures currently in place in most places aren't strong enough to halt or even slow the spread, people should be getting vaxxed and boosted at appropriate intervals, and that the recent CDC guidance is abysmal. But we shouldn't be looking at Denmark's numbers and going "whoa this means the vaccines are useless!"

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 29, 2021