Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I never got the supposed gutpunch of the movie. The real world is dying and there is no hope. There hasn't been, not meaningfully, since I was born.

As a movie it is fine but the premise just left me cold because it had a bunch of people recognize it and be sad. No one would recognize it. I knew that when I saw it in the theater. There would just be FOXNEWS klaxons about how selfish the new generation was and how they are refusing to have kids in favor of hedonistic sex.

Even if they did recognise it, doesn't matter. Too late. World went to poo poo. Know what? It was too late before the infertility thing happened, for gently caress's sake.

Anyway, it's a new page, so I'm going to drop a bunch more screenshots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

FilthyImp posted:

Film is bleak as hell. I enjoyed that there's an underlying "what if this is a fluke" with the baby and the mother and that humanity is hosed either way.

The ending with the ceasefire is near religious in its reverence for human life... which is kind if darkly humorous considering what was going on two minutes prior, and a few minutes after they leave

There are only two outcomes:

1. Kee and her baby are a fluke, one last spark of hope insufficient to save humanity from extinction.

2. Kee and her baby are the real deal but they're now at the mercy of the researchers in the Human Project, who could possibly be as ruthless and utilitarian as the Fishes in their pursuit of a miracle cure. They could be as kind and compassionate as Theo... or they could treat them like lab rats until they figure out the solution.

Great movie though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m going to have to give this one a rewatch. I remember when I first watched it thinking that I couldn’t remember the last time I’d seen such a “small details movie”, then watching the Making Of and realizing it was because I never had.

The book was terrible, though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

sebmojo posted:

Laughs politely in 80s constant looming threat of nuclear Armageddon

Aha. Ahahaha.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Meaty Ore posted:

I watched this for the first time ever a few days ago. Loved it, but good lord, "harrowing" is precisely the word to describe it. I nearly broke down in tears at a couple of points near the end.

That final single shot sequence brings tears every time for me. It's stunning.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I never got the supposed gutpunch of the movie. The real world is dying and there is no hope. There hasn't been, not meaningfully, since I was born.

I'm kinda in the same boat, and the premise itself didn't exactly resonate with me. Just a little younger than you. I haven't been full on seeing the reality of that and despairing since I was a kid or anything, but yeah. World is loving hosed. Hope is a very human thing though, despite the reality of us(and mainly capitalism) managing to be actively on the way to completely destroying our biosphere within 200-ish years of discovering and industrializing oil.

This movie hits on such a visceral level though, and really lets you feel like you're in all of that poo poo. And you can understand where the characters are coming from.

Also, Zizek did a good job talking what the movie's about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs98he_Jl4I