Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

There is a group of gun owners who will accuse you of extreme classism over this take.

I fall under saying lock up your guns, but no one expects you to have a $10,000 vault safe. At least make a kid deliberately break open a locked metal cabinet to access a gun.
I'm kinda-sorta one of those because I don't at all trust that enforcement of training and safe storage will be fair, but fuckit, ESPECIALLY if you've already had some meetings with the school about your kid, it's so thoroughly on you to make sure they don't have access to your guns.

Edit: Also, I've got a cheap $150 stack-on cabinet that I'm in the process of adding secondary locks to so that there's a key and combination. Solely because I have teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This poo poo is like peak White Lady. JFC.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

I wonder how much of this is playing out all around the country. I expect lots and for it to increase in tempo before the midterms and the next presidential.
Lots and everywhere.

This is how a lot of the last Republican Revolution happened. Get their wackos into positions that anyone with a life pays no attention to and work on controlling things through the ground up. Except last time Newt's PAC had to send out cassettes so that candidates for BFE Zoning Commissioner could listen in their car and deliver the Official National Message everywhere and at all levels next week. Now they can change it daily.

Look around at boring/lame elected positions in your area and run, especially if you're in a small town, and especially if it's the kind of place where republicans run unopposed. At least make them fight for it, and if you think you're not qualified for the job, so what, neither is the right-wing shithead running. He's just using it to spread bullshit and look toward moving up in the next election.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Sorry friend, Until or unless Democrats get voting rights reform passed, Biden signs it, and the supreme court doesn't toss it Georgia is a lost cause at this point unless you wanna run for a mayor/position in basically a 99% democrat area such as City of Atlanta.

Republicans have basically made it law in this state that the only fair elections in this state are overseen exclusively by republicans and the only rules that are fair are what ever they say it is, and if a Democrat wins, well obviously there's malfeasance so we have to run it back.
Yeah, YYMV locally. I live in small-town Ohio with a bunch of nonpartisan local and county races (county commissioner, town commissioner, zoning board, school board, ____ board). I may end up running for something next year just to block a GOP dickhead, but I'm a middle aged white male and can say the right things and don't have to have a D next to my name on the ballot. Probably not as useful for a Black woman.

BTW, it's bad enough here that the local Democratic party is mass texting its donor rolls with "Thinking of running for office? Join our webinar to learn how to do it. We can't let Republicans run unopposed"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is nice and all but it's pretty much too little too late. They should have been harping on it for 30-40 years now. It's legit funny how much they've hosed the dog on the matter
Yuuuup. We are collosally hosed.

Edit: BTW, my local Dem party is run by a passive aggressive septuigenarian that doesn't like anyone under 60 and finds racial integration to be progressive. So thats helpful too.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 9, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Eej posted:

He assaulted 4 of his sisters and is only getting 10 years??
He's a white conservative. Surprised he got 10.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So...did the art department deliberately make this a Third Reich portrait? The nazi hair is on him, but everything else is their call.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Human brains are dumb as poo poo though. "I know this guy who got a vax and then [bad thing]" sticks in our primate brain much better than an entire page of statistical calculations. Basically "one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" is how we think.

This is like the tip of the iceberg on this, but I'm doing 10 things right now: https://blog.rewardian.com/blog/2016/09/21/data-told-as-a-story-is-more-memorable-than-on-its-own-research-finds No idea what Rewardian is, but Chip Heath is a known researcher of this stuff. I use his ideas/work in fundraising all the time. Tell stories, then give numbers that back them up, basically.

Edit: Also, relatability is huge. The more someone is like you or known to you, the more you will believe what they say. So "my coworker's brother" that had a 1/1 million shot thing happen is more relatable to you than the 40 year old widow on TV in tears begging everyone to get vaxed because she just watched her husband die. Our brains are dumb, and nowhere near as logical as we'd like to think they are.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Stringing along car chat:

Unless I'm super bad at converting from Rupees, a nice Tata Punch mini-SUV will run you $7-8k USD: https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/punch

Assuming some more stringent safety standards in the US, even if they double the price, it will be in the 15k range.

I look at the small cars/trucks available in other countries and get depressed that a 25k mazda 3 is considered on the small and cheap side in the US.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If your car doesn't have every single gadget possible you're less of a man/woman/porpoise than you should be and that's bad.
I know I'm far, far off the pulse of The American Consumer, but my no-kids errand car is a 91 Toyota 2wd pickup with a bench seat, manual transmission, and lovely 2 speaker stereo that my phone can't connect to, specifically because I wanted something dead rear end simple and that didn't have all the rolling living room poo poo in it so I can actually drive and maybe listen to music. And wanted a tiny pickup because I gotta pick up hay and feed and gently caress that being inside a vehicle ever.

Not including that, I've owned 8 cars over my lifetime and my favorite was an 07 element because it was new enough to have modern safety and reliability baked into it, but old enough that it didn't have $5k worth of infotainment bullshit in it or a touch screen heating fan control. Sadly, had to get rid of it once I had 3 kids that needed to be driven around since it only had a 2 seatbelt back seat. I would absofuckinglutely adore a simple rear end 2022 car that keeps all the modern mechanical stuff but has a 1990s heating/cooling system and radio.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Like I'm seriously using the google maps navigation for even the shortest trips, the safety gains of completely delegating where I am in relation to the earths surface and having that much more attention to the immediate 200 yard bubble around me have been huge
Also, google maps on my phone has real-time info (traffic, etc.) and map updates for free vs whatever boondoggle my in-dash needs to update.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I mean this also aligns with the increasing prices at the grocery store: Its not so much inflation as companies wanting to maximize their profits. Its hosed.
It's almost as if share price is the real product made by public companies, and any actual consumer products are a byproduct.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I love reading about girthy hardwood.
:same:
Don't stop. Somebody tell me about a vintage ebony source.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

This was my intro to Soviet animation and as bizarre as it is, it's less messed up than Hansel and Gretel or Little Red Riding Hood

https://youtu.be/kmB4DfG-3K4
Thats pretty euro fairy tale.

And obligatory :kstarehair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Boy, you know how else you could keep society running? Have no poo poo mask and vax mandates and close down Applebee's for a couple weeks. But then Applebee's stock might take a dip.