Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Well, ignoring how common and freakish it is to have both cops and shooters in high schools on the regular good for that guy for intervening so fast.

Anecdotally, our district had a referendum for an educational tax increase, pitched it as For the Children, then turned around and hired a couple of dozen cops to patrol the schools with the proceeds. Very cool to normalize that poo poo.

Also agreeing with those saying the kid shouldn't be tried as an adult. The whole thing is absolutely terrible, but throwing the kid away is shameful. The dad though, I want to know what the hell happened there. Gonna keep locking up my guns and not hand my kid a pistol when he's a teenager and say "go nuts!" :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

A "real" safe that can stop a determined attacker for more than 10-15 minutes is expensive as hell, but as has been said if your kid is at the point of taking an angle grinder to the thing you've already failed. Those security cabinets and lockboxes are plenty of protection against casuals, just as long as you use the damned things and don't leave the keys in plain sight.

I looked into a full on high security safe and pretty quickly gave up due to cost.

e: Because this is genuinely important, it's really cheap to get an exterior door handle and security hinges that don't allow removal of a closed door by simply popping the pins out for pretty cheap. Any closet with a relatively solid door becomes acceptable gun storage for less than ~$60.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 2, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

We don't have the same hand wringing about how states require carrying an insurance policy and registering a vehicle on an annual basis disproportionately impacts the poor, because we decided as a society that this was a requirement for the good of everyone.

Please for the love of whatever you find holy do not do the :iiaca: thing. They're not remotely comparable.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Nothing like a good DEATH VARIANT PANIC PANIC to get people to check their cards and go "oh hey, it's been 6 months!"

It's good in that more vaccinated/boosted people is definitely desireable, but as far as I've seen all the official guidance has been "get boosted!" and not "wear an effective mask!" (i.e., N95 or better). The vaccines are very good, but but still demonstrably leaky. One would think that facing a new variant with as yet unknown properties public health officials doing their jobs would recommend increased protective measures.

I've seen the blue checks insisting that it's "mild," but last I checked that came from made-up data attributed to Israel, which cannot possibly exist yet given how new this thing is.

e: I'm boosted fwiw, so miss me with "anti-vax!" accusations on the off chance that someone is offended by this. It's not meant that way.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

This is the relevant part of my post:

Loucks posted:

"wear an effective mask!" (i.e., N95 or better)
Cloth masks are theatre. I'm not interested in debating this with you, mmlmp08.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I hope the snakes are OK. Snakes are chill.

On electoralism, I've felt betrayed and dejected regularly after voting for Democrats over the past couple of decades. It's totally understandable that people would throw up their hands and say "gently caress this!" That said, throwing away voting as useless is a mistake as, if nothing else, local and sometimes state elections can be worth the effort and result in actual Good Things happening.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thank you both I appreciate the links and info. My kids finally got their second dose this Monday and I’m just worried about this so much now. One of the reasons is I’ve seen a lot more breakthrough cases recently. Now I don’t mean that to be statistical, it’s just anecdotal, but that’s enough to get me worrying.

I’m with you on this. We’ve been putting a lot of effort into keeping our kid uninfected, and now that he’s finally vaccinated this omicron bullshit drops. I’m hopeful that it doesn’t turn out to be as bad as some people are claiming, but skeptical that it’s as harmless as others are insisting. Luckily as Xmas celebrators we have some time to wait for more actual data to become available before we have to make a decision about seeing family, so it could be worse.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I seem to remember someone posting itt about the paper that was expected to detail the creation of an actual warp drive on a small scale. The paper dropped, and it's bullshit. Just a model apparently. They haven't actually built the proposed tiny version to test it and have no plans to do so.

quote:

When asked by The Debrief in December if his team has built and tested this proposed nano-scale warp craft design since that August announcement, or if they have plans to do so, White said, “We have not manufactured the one-micron sphere in the middle of a 4-micron cylinder.” However, he noted, if the LSI team were to undertake that at some point, “we’d probably use a nanoscribe GT 3D printer that prints at the nanometer scale.” In short, they have the means, now they just need the opportunity.

There is “no plan to do this currently,” explained White, as “we are laser-focused on the custom Casimir cavities.”

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I am an “eat my rear end” truther.

Does anyone have enough mandarin to confirm that the translation is correct? Just curious; not contemplating a new tattoo.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Does this specifically say that all masks aside from KN95s are ineffective in any way?

It doesn't matter. We're not permitted to discuss masks itt:

FrozenVent posted:

This isn’t the place to debate what kind of mask is or is not effective.

If you have questions about masks, please see the CDC, for example

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Surely everyone expected this. I hope he fucks up and says "black lives matter" again.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

I believe that's what lead to a lot of scientists saying BOOST loving EVERYONE a few months back before a lot of the data came back, just because of the likely drop in transmissibility.

The data was pretty clear that vaccine protection starts dropping significantly after only three months or so, and as far as I know that is what drove the boosters. This is very clear in the Israeli dataset. Curious what you’re basing all these claims on.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sure, boosters are a great idea. I got mine as soon as I was eligible. I’m just saying the whole thing about “the unvaccinated could cough that for two weeks while the vaccinated person was only a few days. I believe that's what lead to a lot of scientists saying BOOST loving EVERYONE a few months back before a lot of the data came back, just because of the likely drop in transmissibility” where public health policy was allegedly set in absence of data on the basis of some hypothetical reduction in transmission instead of the loss of protection over time that was already well-documented when boosters became available seems like a really weird leap to make and I’d love to know the basis for doing so.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

100%

It also helps to drive the narrative that Police Keep Us Safe We Need More Police Give Them Money Now which is so very important in propping up the current power structure.

Things are so cool and good.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well also not going to give money to Elon Musk.

You can get a Chevy bolt for only $35k. Pocket change! As a bonus I understand they also catch on fire and kill you for that full Tesla experience.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They could build $15k electric cars with 75-100mi ranges for commuting but unfortunately, like decent health insurance, in the US electric cars are still seen as a "luxury item."

If you can't restructure your entire life around it... it's not for you. :smug:

There should be an entire cottage industry around electrifying old and current IC cars, but like everything, we can't have that either because of corporate gatekeeping.

Absolutely they could. Even more easily if there were any willingness to mandate vehicle size/weight/speed so it's less necessary to make every car a fortress. However like you say that would cut into profits, and my portfolio might take a hit. Enjoy your $50k car.

Electric motorcycles are not as insanely priced and would be fine for commuting, but that really doesn't work for everybody.

I confess I still really want to drive the new BMW i4 M model though.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dealers are charging more than msrp right now, on top of their more traditional grifts of undercoating and paint sealer, or only ordering mid and top tiers of models instead of cheap bases.

They put that undercoat on at the factory. Nothing I can do.

Seriously though, I'm convinced that a big part of why cars are so much more expensive now is that they have to be built to protect occupants from the insanely large SUVs and trucks on the road that everyone wants to buy to protect themselves and their families from the the insanely large SUVs and trucks on the road.

I'll just keep driving my ten year old Toyota sedan because buying an electric car would have a far greater environmental impact.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I'm genuinely impressed by that. Wonder what your DD214 says if you're kicked out for telling your branch to gently caress off over vaccines.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I know I'm far, far off the pulse of The American Consumer, but my no-kids errand car is a 91 Toyota 2wd pickup with a bench seat, manual transmission, and lovely 2 speaker stereo that my phone can't connect to

This sounds pretty much ideal. My family had something similar kicking around until winter salt ate the body. Bondo only goes so far.

Wrong Theory posted:

They mentioned it:

Thanks. I somehow skimmed right over that. Agreeing that an honorable seems like a weird reward for telling the service to eat your rear end, but I don’t set policy. It seems less a matter of “spite” to me than accurately reflecting the conditions of separation.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

whats the story

I played with google and maybe it's this: Shoggoths in Traffic

Loucks
May 21, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

I saw that 23-dose goon in passing and I have no idea how they didn't just explode into a pile of sickness. The Moderna booster knocked me on my rear end for a day and a half, so I have no idea what Megadose Goon had to deal with.

The amazing thing about that post is how many people latched onto it as evidence of goon insanity rather than recognizing an obvious fakepost.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

You are stunningly optimistic for a regular in this thread if you believe fakeposts can ever be obvious again in a world where hundreds of people have been camping at dealy plaza waiting for JFK to come back

The error here is lumping CSPAM covid thread regulars in with q-anon. :wtc:

There's a fundamental difference between "we should take covid more seriously and err on the side of caution" and "democratic pedophiles are using adrenochrome in pizza parlor basements," and if that's not immediately clear to a person I can see why fakepost identification would also be difficult.

And yeah, the science is just not consistent with the claims. It's funny bullshit that people ran with because they are infinitely credulous and/or really want to believe that the "let's take covid seriously" contingent is just a bunch of insane doomers.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

where is "these frozen bon bons are going to give me covid" on this scale?

Over the top, but still less delusional than "get a vaccine and take no other precautions to protect yourself against a deadly, effectively airborne virus" which seems to be an increasingly popular point of view, especially now that the administration has embraced the essential conclusions of the Great Barrington Declaration. Do you really not remember how urgently the authorities cautioned us to wash our hands and be careful of fomites in the early days of this thing? Hell, they're still telling us to wash our hands as if that's relevant to SARS-CoV-2.

There were a lot of unknowns and a lot of stressors. It's gross to point to that poster panicking under circumstances where it wasn't clear how to stay safe as if it's some sort of own or evidence of insanity. But of course cruelty is a foundational value here on SA, so if we didn't ruthlessly mock people in crisis we just wouldn't be goons. :haw:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Handwashing has been shown to be relatively irrelevant with respect to covid as most transmission occurs through inhalation of droplets or aerosols or whatever you want to call it. If I use the wrong term the no-airborne-covid crew tends to get upset, so I'm just using. If anyone has evidence to support fomite transmission as a significant source of infection I'd love to see it, honestly. One thing I can say for sure is that as we continue to go through this thing we are continually learning, and I'm entirely open to new information.

Brute Squad posted:

and washing your hands is good for your health. please wash your hands.

How in the world can my post be interpreted as an argument against washing hands? :psyduck:

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 20, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You said it wasn't relevant to Covid. It is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7267118/

Is there some data buried in this paper that supports the claim that covid is spread via fomites, or are you just dumping a link into the thread in the hopes that no one will read it? The abstract just asserts that handwashing is good and is being used at the time of publication (early 2020) as a significant part of covid prevention. But my point was exactly this: that the authorities insisted that everyone should wash their hands specifically to prevent covid infection despite no evidence that it was a meaningful vector.

Or is your claim that handwashing is relevant to covid because CDC, et al. urged people to wash their hands in response to covid? That seems to be the only position supported by the link.

e: at least thank you for not doing the bad faith "why do you hate washing hands??" nonsense.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Are you dead reckoning

No. I just think we should take a deadly pandemic seriously and examine the actual data instead of relying on anodyne statements designed to keep us working and consuming issued by a government that serves corporations and billionaires instead of people.

I thought he was (is? I haven't seen him post in forever) kind of an rear end in a top hat frankly. I'm sure people who don't want to think about covid feel the same way about me, but that doesn't change the reality of the pandemic.

e: Looks like I'm misreading the room. I'll drop it. Clearly not going to change anyone's mind.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I was the only one calling you out on it, it must be me doing bad faith.

Nice parting shot, but you're wrong:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well if you read it then that's what it says, but maybe it's opposite day and words mean different things, if that's the case then don't continue

In fact I was explicitly saying that you weren't doing that. Why is it that when I take a similar tone in this subforum I get hassled, but apparently it's cool for you to be a sarcastic rear end?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why have I read like 20 posts from you defending the megavaxxer guy with 200 posts a day across every COVID thread this forum has

Where? I've mentioned a couple of times that the post in question was a joke because some people are confused by that. I'm not defending anyone, just trying to help people understand what's happening. I definitely don't post in every covid thread, which is pretty easy to verify.

I'm perfectly happy to drop this. I thought it was helpful to clarify what was going on in that thread with that poster but if people just want to believe that the cspam thread is dumb and so goddamn crazy that's fine too.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

e: saw McNally's post. Understood.