Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Collective Punishment, including Kin Punishment is generally frowned upon. It seems to me that parents can be guilty of abuses that lead to a child's terrible action, and they can be accomplice to their child's terrible action. There are also charges like contributing to the delinquency of a minor in some states, but that's separate from trying a parent for their child's crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I am not a lawyer. Best as I can tell, conviction of a first-degree murder charge in Michigan requires sentencing as an adult. Not sure if juvenile court can sentence as an adult, or if successfully tried as a juvenile, would have to issue a disposition requiring trial as an adult anyway.

Also of interest: according to the Michigan State Juvenile Benchbook, Minors tried as adults, even for homicide, may not receive the normally mandatory sentence of life without parole.

piL fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 2, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PeterCat posted:

https://twitter.com/NatButterflies/status/1467598873334067215?s=20
https://twitter.com/NatButterflies/status/1467611224783429632?s=20

Consider Texas national Guard is now allowed to be armed to guard the border and Texas is a stand your ground slash castle doctrine state.

How long till the TX ARNG gets in a gunfight with some homeowners?

Add to the 2022 bingo space list: "Murder trial outcome appealed using the third amendment."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Loucks posted:

It doesn't matter. We're not permitted to discuss masks itt:

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Does this specifically say that all masks aside from KN95s are ineffective in any way?

Current event: made a thread to keep mask chat out of CE here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987231.
Mods, if I messed up, sorry.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PSA: Do not post on instagram in uniform.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Bubblegum Department has run into major suppy shortages and so we'll have to assign operations to its mission partner,

On the other hand, a department designed around using power armor and military equipment to combat boomers...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Apparently, Twitch banned "Cracker" on its platform as a racial slur

what even is this dumb world anymore

The gist is that Twitch TOS doesn't ban words specifically, but instead bans "hateful content" against protected categories which they define as below.

https://www.twitch.tv/p/en/legal/community-guidelines/ posted:

content or activity that promotes or encourages discrimination, denigration, harassment, or violence based on the following protected characteristics: race, ethnicity, color, caste, national origin, immigration status, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, serious medical condition, and veteran status.

While taking action on "racial slurs" against a group historically absent of harm feels authoritarian, harm isn't part of the definition. Making a distinction in enforcement weighing harm against the perceived target of a word and/or the perceptions of hundreds of thousands of viewers is really difficult because there's no way to practically quantify that harm. Twitch chose to categorically prohibit the behavior instead of trying to quantify harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Twitch is super lax on enforcement of that policy, and doesn't ban for a whole multitude of slurs, including ableist poo poo, or thinly veiled racist slurs that simply aren't "the big ones". In this case, they just caved to white folks being pissed after one streamer caused a stir over it, and now decided to enforce the policy for the poor disenfranchised white race.

It's dumb as all hell, honestly.

True, but if a high profile streamer were to surround one of the ablest words you're thinking of with "dumb" and "bitch", and a bunch of people reported it, I bet you'd see movement in that direction too. I think most people using ableist language or veiled slurs tend to inject some ambiguity

That's the Hasan Piker temp ban; I can't find the Ian Kochinski clip to tell if the derogatory intent was that clear.

Edit: it probably doesn't even have to be a slur; just surrounding any of the protected characteristics words with dumb and bitch is probably risky maneuver if Twitch is your primary revenue stream.

piL fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 28, 2021