Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

There’s a spectrum.

It’s one thing if a fifteen‐year‐old drives car fast and kills somebody. Their brain is still developing and they may not entirely grasp the relationship between risky activities and consequences.

Intentionally shooting people is something else entirely. If they haven’t figured out that that’s bad by the age of fifteen, they never will.

It's not about not knowing right from wrong. It's about impulse control, decision making, and the ability to actually realize consequences (which is not the same as being able to state them). A 15 year old is not an adult and does not think like an adult or make rational decisions like an adult.

I'm not willing to write an actual literal child off as a hopeless case and "garbage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Poor people can't afford guns and ammo in the first place; the idea of a universal accessible right to firearms has never been true.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm sure you made their loving day telling them to give up and that they don't matter.

Maybe they'll be inspired to quit and find something productive to do with their time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because nothing succeeds like just giving up. Its how we beat fascism the first time, after all.

The Democrats have given up trying to even get themselves re-elected, why should anyone loving phone bank for them to do anything? Find a group that actually fights, maybe one that can force some action out of the Democrats. Supporting the actual party apparatus is like giving up, but also setting your money on fire at the same time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, the current split in the Senate is 48D/50R/2O. Manchin and Sinema belong to the Opportunists, a new political party that will be with us in perpetuity until everything burns. It won't be them forever, but rest assured people will follow their example.

New? Joe Lieberman's name ring any bells? There are a lot of good Democrats. I gave money and voted so that one of them (Cori Bush) is now in Congress. But there are, and always have been, enough lovely Democrats who will stop everything up because they don't give a poo poo about anything but their portfolio and/or face on the news. And there will be until everything burns because to get power you need money so the Democratic Party as an institution is controlled by these sort of people.

Best Friends posted:

There's always a list of reasons why democrats can't do the things they "really want" to do when they're in power. Strangely, republicans stuffer few of those same constraints when they have their turns in power.

Remember when dems were all saying "gee whiz the parlimentarian, a position that you've probably never heard of before and has no actual power, is preventing us from doing what we really want? Aw shucks." That was a classic.

The "manchin and sinema are unmovable" excuse relies on the assumption that those two are taking an unshakable, moral stand and can't be bought off, which is a pretty tough one to believe imo. "We need sinema's vote, but doggone, her earnest, genuine principles keep getting in the way. We're stuck!"

To be fair, the Republicans took as long to pass their one constant wish , tax cuts for the rich, as the Democrats just took to pass an infrastructure bill. And they never were able to repeal the ACA. They have these problems, too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Right wing militias being given official status? No lurch towards fascism here!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

The timeline appears to be:

"Hey... why are you searching for ammunition with your phone during school hours?"
*looks at drawings* HOLY poo poo GET THEIR PARENTS IN HERE
"Hey Mr/Mrs Fuckup, look at what we found here"
[unknown parental response]
Parents leave
Kid goes into bathroom and comes out shooting
Dad: hey my unlocked gun is missing

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/status/1466821141062893571

Edit: HOLY gently caress

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1466819872160165894

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1466821363935682564

facialimpediment posted:

I think there's a big difference between warlike doodling that you mention above, versus the kind of content this kid was putting out in a personal journal:

https://twitter.com/BrianAbelTV/status/1466824251902734344

The kind of poo poo that when twisted properly might make a good GiP shirt (as the world is indeed a gently caress), but is about 17 different flavors of klaxon when coming from a highschooler. Although it would be peak USA if some kid got expelled for doodling about 410,757,864,530 DEAD COPS

A timeline revision is that the bullet-googling was a day before the shooting, then the "holy poo poo your kid needs counseling" "lol no he doesn't" *blam blam blam* "hey where's my gun" "don't do it son" day took place.

Yeah, definitely the sort of thing that indicates a rational adult brain making rational adult decisions here.
Real good call from all the people ITT baying for his blood.

Maybe all you guys who were cheering on his impending lockup in maximum security prison should shut the gently caress up about child behavior and crime until you learn a goddamn thing or two about actual children?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheWeedNumber posted:

A lot more where they came from I’m sure.

As a Missouri native... yes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's honestly really uplifting news!

Also,

I know Germans have a lot of dumb words for things that don't really need their own words, but how do y'all not have a word for Hohlraum?

A lot of times when a generic foreign word is used for a science thing, scientists just keep it untranslated to refer to that specific application in order to distinguish it from the generic idea.
e.g. klippe, fenster, horst, graben

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Horst and graben are geology terms. Not sure about the other two.

They are, also. Tectonic geomorphology.

The klippe, fenster, (and nappe) are hard to explain without also explaining thrust faulting and defining allochthon and autochthon, but here's a picture:

Horst and graben are related to extensional faulting, where the crust spreads apart:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

US Berder Patrol posted:

I note with some dismay that the diagrams used to prove this point say "window" instead of "fenster"

But yes these foreign language geology terms are fun. I love that when it turns to glacial geomorphology, all the words turn French

moulin, arete, cirque, roche moutonnee (sheepy-lookin rock lol)

How about Gaelic? Kame, esker, drumlin

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Too late anyway imo, I think the last chance was either the Dems to do something with this anti-trump wave or for another Trump term to shake them out of doing almost nothing. I’m hoping the upcoming disaster in 2022 and 2024 shakes them out of complacency and being de-facto enablers for the far right but I’m worried that ship already sailed without things getting unavoidably worse.

I strongly regret voting for Biden at this point. He’s done nothing whatsoever domestically and just let the GOP strategy play out perfectly

The upcoming disasters in 2022 and 2024 will be unavoidable because the establishment Dems refuse to even try protect voter rights and whether or not it shakes them out of complacency is irrelevant because the GOP has secured one party rule for the foreseeable future through voter suppression, gerrymandering, and control of the judiciary.
It's over and it's a shame nobody will at least smack Manchin and his enablers in the face with a shovel.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean that's all assuming that amount of time exists at this point to allow the democrats to stop being feckless, reverse republicans loving up poo poo, and improve the collective welfare, before poo poo is just irreparable. I as a 30 year old computer toucher can hangout for another 38 years until death takes me. Theoretical kids, nephews, and nieces may not have that luxury, and the generation after that probably has no hope.

You're more optimistic than I am. I'm starting to think that somewhere between 2020 and 2030 is where future historians will draw the line for "the collapse of American liberal democracy."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1467254877340545028?s=20

I am sure Chris will end up somewhere by end of year or before the midterms.

Honestly, I was just shocked at the number of journalists and others being like "oh yeah, gotta be there for the family" and I'm like you're not some regional manager at the cracker factory, your job is to have ethics

That's pretty harsh. I assumed they'd just terminate his employment with them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...campaign=FBPost

The High Cost of Men's Loneliness

Do we actually need "Man Parks" to spark socialization?

Really good article.

quote:

"First of all, there was my buddy Mark. We went to high school together, and I still talk to him all the time, and we hang out all the . . . Wait, how often do we actually hang out? Maybe four or five times a year? And then there was my other best friend from high school, Rory, and . . . I genuinely could not remember the last time I’d seen him. Had it already been a year? Entirely possible.

"There were all those other good friends who feel as if they’re still in my lives (sic) because we keep tabs on one another on social media, but as I ran down the list of those, I’d consider real, true, lifelong friends, I realized that it had been years since I’d seen many of them, even decades for a few (Baker, 2017)."

I notice the article doesn't say anything about how the requirement to move around frequently for employment in a modern economy contributes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

my wife and i are making plans to leave. it is not going to get better, and we (the people in this forum and those of similar sensibilities) are going to lose the coming civil war

My wife isn't taking me seriously but I'm taking German lessons.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Oh hey, I just heard NPR play a clip of limp-dick Dole from 1976:

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/10/28/archives/dole-denies-talking-of-democrat-wars-says-he-never-used-phrase-that.html

quote:

Senator Robert J. Dole, the Republican Vice‐Presidential candidate, insisted today that he had never referred to the four wars in which the United States has been involved in this century as “Democrat wars.”

Asked if he had not meant to back off yesterday from what appeared to be an accusation that the Democrats were responsible for the last four wars, he said:

“No, I'm going back to my premise. I didn't want the media to be confused. I said in the debate, if they want to dredge up the past we can dredge up some of the past.”

Pressed as to whether he was still going to refer to “Democrat wars,” he replied sharply:

“Never did, I never did.”

The quotation read:

“It is an appropriate topic, I guess, but it's not a very good issue any more than the war in Vietnam would be or World 11 or World I or the war in Korea—all Democrat wars, all in this century. I figured up the other day, if we added up the killed and wounded in Democrat wars in this century, it would be about 1.6 million Americans, enough to fill the city of Detroit.”

Mr. Speakes was asked to inquire why the candidate would have denied using the phrase.

A few moments later, Mr. Speakes returned and said:

“He said you have to look in context at the whole thing. He did not recall this specific quote.”

He also quoted Mr. Dole as having repeated that “If it's fair to blame Ford for Watergate, then it's fair to blame the Democrats for the wars.”

Asked if Senator Dole had not been arguing that it was not fair to blame the President for Watergate, Mr. Speakes replied:

“That's right.”

Then asked if it was therefore unfair to blame the Democrats for the wars, Mr. Speakes said:

“Oh, that's what he's been trying to say all along.”

Lol @ the standard "he was a good man and a good politician" eulogies.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1468288013264371720

It's funny, but I'm not laughing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Why are they even putting that on the air?

Because Democracy Dies in :decorum:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yes, the cloud is very good, and i do love it

Love the cloud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhZ3i-HXS0

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

This, gerrymandering, putting loyalists in key positions. Jan 6th was a practice run. They saw what stopped them and now they're fixing that. There won't be another election in this country again, and the supreme court will say it's legal.

There are still elections in Russia. Ours will become about that valid but they will still happen because it will "prove" that we're still a democracy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Definitely a promise which will pass Congress and survive court challenges.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MRC48B posted:

Warning systems are a liberal plot.

https://twitter.com/s_webber/status/1469486823068028932

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Icon Of Sin posted:

I have this feeling a lot :smith:

I take comfort in never being particularly good at officering but getting paid the same as the hard chargers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

None of them thought "hey instead of debasing ourselves, why don't we all just lift the carpet and haul it off the ice and split everything even?"

There's one in every office.
It's a reasonable assumption that 90% of teachers who were offered this "opportunity" told the principal or other administrator to shove it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yes, but gas prices.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CBJSprague24 posted:

Have we discussed the fact that some of :smugdon:'s most loyal terriers were being ignored by Mark Meadows on January 6th yet?

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1470566880775528448

The fact that Kilmeade, Ingraham, and Hannity even said "Whoa, that's too much", yet continue to peddle their tinfoil hat bullshit makes me hate FOX even more.

Those fuckers don't have a problem with a fascist coup or anything else about the insurrectionists' goals. What they had a problem with was doing it in such an obvious and stupid way. They were worried about the backlash interfering with their actual fascist takeover plans.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

I'd imagine it's yet another decorum-brained attempt to wrap themselves around potential Republican talking points by not giving them OTH dischargs or something. Which is completely loving useless with fascists but whatever, succdems gonna succdem.

Hm yes, Nancy Pelosi and the DNC are personally ordering the service chiefs to do this. Definitely a sane theory rather than

mlmp08 posted:

A soldier forged multiple signatures of officers to get out of work and PT, lied when asked about it, hid in a closet for half a day, and then invited his mom to travel from out of state to see him at the unit without telling her he was pending chapter. I was informed it was too hardcore to give him a general vs honorable discharge, because he was basically lazy and obstinate, but he did not attack anyone or steal anything.

So, really, honorable discharges for people whose sole misconduct is saying “no,” to a vaccine makes sense. Different story if they’re out their deliberately talking poo poo like that dumb Marine LTC.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah, omicron is not loving around. I was listening to NPR earlier today and one of the guest epidemiologists they had on earlier suggested that the US could see 200,000 cases a day by the end of January, and one million cases a day isn't inconceivable.

Which wouldn't be a big deal if the antivax morons weren't so numerous.

e:

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also Pfizer just announced that their vaccine in two dose didn't provide enough of an immunity reaction in their under 5 year old trials. They're hoping adding a third one will do the trick, but until then it's going to be a long wait.

gently caress.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 17, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Surprise! Build Back Better is probably completely dead now thanks to everyone’s favorite Joe Manchin!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/19/politics/joe-manchin-build-back-better/index.html

He gets paid whether he's in the majority or minority, and if he loses his seat he can go on to make a pile as a coal lobbyist. There is literally no downside for him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Untagged posted:

In a reverse use case, there's a market for people now using them on older cars as essentially a cheap lojack alternative.

Well yeah, why pay a subscription for lojack or onstar when you can track your stolen car and have the cops tell you that they DGAF for only a one time payment.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Grrrreeeaaaatttt just got an email from my kids school that a kid in my sons Kindergarten class tested positive for Covid.

Just one?
We got an email that 5 teachers and 6 students did, lol.
Good thing my daughter is fully vaccinated.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fknlo posted:

How can you be that loving stupid?

https://twitter.com/jrdolemite/status/1473084457733148674

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's kind of amazing that useless rich people have found an avenue for conspicuous consumption that is even more wasteful and pointless than Italian supercars.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well I guess now I'll go back to just buying store brand cereal because I'm cheap instead of because I'm principled.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Fox just keeps foxin'

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1473039073535213570

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/JamesSurowiecki/status/1473176267268796416

seems legit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kesper North posted:

They're already constructing the narrative that Ukraine/NATO are planning to use chem or bio warfare against them, which could simultaneously excuse their own deployment or just pivot straight to "any NBC use was obviously NATO provocateurs".

https://tass.com/world/1379319

Well this is grim.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midjack posted:

Maybe the absolute lack of meaningful response after they annex Ukraine will finally convince them that NATO is irrelevant.

What should NATO do about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1474187727625097220