Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Post the link to the new thread in the old thread before closing it y'all dingi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tune in if you want to see Mutti saying goodbye.

...also if you like Germans marching with torches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAT-C86Cv9Y

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well you need something to light all those coal facilities that dingbat helped create, because she was a chicken little about nuclear power.

I don't think you quite comprehend the almost universal NIMBY-energy in this dumb country after Fukushima

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That's honestly really uplifting news!

Also,

quote:

Inertial confinement fusion involves creating something like a tiny star. It starts with a capsule of fuel, consisting of deuterium and tritium – heavier isotopes of hydrogen. This fuel capsule is placed in a hollow gold chamber about the size of a pencil eraser called a hohlraum.

Then, 192 high-powered laser beams are blasted at the hohlraum, where they are converted into X-rays. These X-rays implode the fuel capsule, heating and compressing it to conditions comparable to those in the center of a star – temperatures in excess of 100 million degrees Celsius (180 million Fahrenheit) and pressures greater than 100 billion Earth atmospheres – turning the fuel capsule into a tiny blob of plasma.

I know Germans have a lot of dumb words for things that don't really need their own words, but how do y'all not have a word for Hohlraum?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

A lot of times when a generic foreign word is used for a science thing, scientists just keep it untranslated to refer to that specific application in order to distinguish it from the generic idea.
e.g. klippe, fenster, horst, graben

Now I need the english scientific context for those words

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

They are, also. Tectonic geomorphology.

The klippe, fenster, (and nappe) are hard to explain without also explaining thrust faulting and defining allochthon and autochthon, but here's a picture:

Horst and graben are related to extensional faulting, where the crust spreads apart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkELENdZukI

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Current event: poo poo's on fire, yo

https://twitter.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1468458890052333568

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That settlement deal was some of the shadiest bullshit I had heard about in a long time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Current event: New Witcher season is out on Netflix

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, this certainly comes as a complete surprise

:cripes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Apparently, Twitch banned "Cracker" on its platform as a racial slur

what even is this dumb world anymore

In non-stupid current events: Follow the progress of the James Webb telescope on one of the many live streams as it heads to its destination while slowly deploying its origami poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YK6TeAaiU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

piL posted:

The gist is that Twitch TOS doesn't ban words specifically, but instead bans "hateful content" against protected categories which they define as below.

While taking action on "racial slurs" against a group historically absent of harm feels authoritarian, harm isn't part of the definition. Making a distinction in enforcement weighing harm against the perceived target of a word and/or the perceptions of hundreds of thousands of viewers is really difficult because there's no way to practically quantify that harm. Twitch chose to categorically prohibit the behavior instead of trying to quantify harm.

Twitch is super lax on enforcement of that policy, and doesn't ban for a whole multitude of slurs, including ableist poo poo, or thinly veiled racist slurs that simply aren't "the big ones". In this case, they just caved to white folks being pissed after one streamer caused a stir over it, and now decided to enforce the policy for the poor disenfranchised white race.

It's dumb as all hell, honestly.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Current event: I've stopped watching "Don't look up" after 55 minutes, because I was hoping it at least had a happy end and then got spoiled, and now I feel like I'm the stereotypical triggered snowflake, and it's triggering me unironically

I'm also a seventh-generation cracker and I still love all of y'all

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I genuinely can't wrap my head around the fact that the US somehow still doesn't recommend wearing N95 masks

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

bengy81 posted:

I don't think most people could afford N95s in the US.

I'm scared that the answer is :capitalism:, because America, but what does, like, a ten-pack of N95s cost over there these days?

/edit:
What does a pack/2-pack of antigen tests cost?

piL posted:

True, but if a high profile streamer were to surround one of the ablest words you're thinking of with "dumb" and "bitch", and a bunch of people reported it, I bet you'd see movement in that direction too. I think most people using ableist language or veiled slurs tend to inject some ambiguity

That's the Hasan Piker temp ban; I can't find the Ian Kochinski clip to tell if the derogatory intent was that clear.

Edit: it probably doesn't even have to be a slur; just surrounding any of the protected characteristics words with dumb and bitch is probably risky maneuver if Twitch is your primary revenue stream.

You've kinda lost me here a bit, I think.
I'm not arguing that some streaming company isn't enforcing their TOS to the letter (because lol if any social media / new media company tries to pretend their moderation isn't completely arbitrary depending on current public perception), I'm saying that Twitch caving to white people screaming "THIS IS ANTI WHITE RACISM" is dumb as hell.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

bengy81 posted:

I get all my masks through work, so I just order them (for free) as needed, so I had to check, not sure if it's the same in brick and mortar retail, but on amazon, kn95 masks start at about $1usd a mask for Chinese no-name ones, while 3M branded ones are a couple bucks a pop.
I'm pretty sure the state I live in will provide at home tests for free, but if you are buying them they are roughly $20 USD for a 2 pack, not sure what the supply looks like though, I know in Sept./Oct. it was basically impossible to find tests.

I'm kinda relieved that mask prices seem "somewhat reasonable", but I'm absolutely floored by the cost of antigen tests, and suddenly understand the governmental rapid-test-kit giveaway thing making the news.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

[quote="That Works" post="520301551"]
Is that Caro or some other person?

I haven't read the article, but I would assume there aren't a lot of non-caro individuals named Kevin Dawes that would sue the entirety of Syria for ~reasons~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

When I learned that Mike Burry was shorting Tesla stock earlier this year, I was waiting the entire time to find out what he knew that everyone else didn't.

When I just saw this headline of Tesla recalling what is pretty much a full year's production in vehicles for safety issues, I immediately thought "WHAT DID YOU DO, MIKE?"

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-recalls-over-475000-electric-vehicles-2021-12-30/

Then I found out he had closed his short position in November already, and the whole thing became less amusing in my head.