Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

fknlo posted:

I’ll catch one up in Longmont in anything but the most limited kind of strike. They built my facility type away from the main city with nuclear strikes taken into consideration. Or so I’ve been told. I’d imagine we’re fairly high on a list in any sort of tactical consideration.

Funny enough on the Colorado chat, I hate living here. It’s gorgeous but it costs so much to live here if you aren’t in the literal middle of nowhere. My body can’t keep up with the outdoor activities so it really kills my desire to be here.

I kind of hate it too, and I regret moving out of SD so much. I like the outdoors stuff, but having to drive two hours and still risk waiting for parking at trailheads ruins it for me.
I live in Greeley, and it's awful, but lol it's not like I can afford to move anywhere nice now.
Also the 6 months if burning sucks poo poo. Gotta love new fire restrictions being placed in November too!

As someone with no IRL friends locally those studies are kind of a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

That Works posted:

Rural New England aint bad imo. Not long to get to big cities, good rail from there to go from DC to Boston and anywhere inbetween. You can be in some pretty deep woods within 30m - 1h of driving depending on where you are. Lots of flexibility and the chud numbers while higher in the woods are still nothing like FL, OK, TX, LA (everywhere else I've lived).

I've been trying to figure out how to move to Vermont or NH, but I'm not seeing a way to make it happen at the moment.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I really don't know where to start with trying to immigrate. I know the wife and I could probably get into an Asian country to teach English, but I don't think those are permanent usually.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
For whatever its worth, supposedly some pump inspectors won't certify pumps if they have stickers/graffiti on them. Not sure if thats true, or if it matters in your decision making.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Honest question re: COVID. If you are up to date on shots, with a booster, and have recently had COVID, what does your risk look like? Can you get it again within a few weeks or does anybody really know yet?
My kids district is looking at getting rid of mask mandates after the break and my 8 year old already brought it home once, so I wouldn't be surprised if the kids were potentially a conduit again.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I thought it was less about status and more about swindling rubes?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I don't think most people could afford N95s in the US.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm scared that the answer is :capitalism:, because America, but what does, like, a ten-pack of N95s cost over there these days?

/edit:
What does a pack/2-pack of antigen tests cost?

I get all my masks through work, so I just order them (for free) as needed, so I had to check, not sure if it's the same in brick and mortar retail, but on amazon, kn95 masks start at about $1usd a mask for Chinese no-name ones, while 3M branded ones are a couple bucks a pop.
I'm pretty sure the state I live in will provide at home tests for free, but if you are buying them they are roughly $20 USD for a 2 pack, not sure what the supply looks like though, I know in Sept./Oct. it was basically impossible to find tests.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I was doing this in hospitals last year for N95s. :/

I definitely helped some of my accounts set up sterilization/reuse protocols for N95s.
It's funny now though, I don't do N95s at work, because most of my accounts require me to change into a fresh mask (they provide) and they are always surgical masks.

N95s almost seem pointless in the US at least. The folks most at risk of spreading COVID already decided they don't need to wear masks, and the folks that do wear masks are also more likely to take other precautions, including quarantine and social distancing.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
NPR: American Kevin Dawes sues Syria over alleged prison torture.
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/29/1066718893/kevin-dawes-sues-syria

Feel bad for the dude and I hope the crazy bastard gets the help he needs.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Who cares if grandma dies? Gotta get that Big Mac, homie.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The fire is wild. There were three fires burning near Boulder today, one north two south.
I was driving home from work, 40 miles east of the fires and the horizon was obscured by the smoke.

The area affected is kind of south-east/south of Boulder. Downed power line caused the fire and they were getting winds around 115 mph in the area.
Last I checked there were 600 house destroyed, and 30,000 people were being evacuated.
The damage done so far is wild, the potential damage is unfathomable.

Edit:
Stolen from the Denver thread.
https://twitter.com/hylandwx/status/1476715233796403205?s=20

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This wind has a few more days to push through, too. Snow expected on the mountains down here the next 2 days. I think we've had an inch cumulatively this season here, mountains keep absorbing it all.

Thankfully we are supposed to get a few inches tomorrow. We haven't had any significant moisture since August I think. Like maybe a half inch of rain early in December...