Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

seriously if you take out Abortion the right is going to need a new crazy thing

Hate to tell you friend. The rights shenanigans was never about abortion, or guns, or drugs, or terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

If your kid is taking power tools to your gun storage, you maybe just should get rid of the guns

Like, if this is part of your "this is a scenario i might dwal with" maybe decide which one is more important to you

"Welp sorry little Timmy, I signed on for fatherhood I didn't sign up to lose muh freedoms, I'll give you a day to pack your things"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

I went through the whole story as an example of incrementalism because its almost never a "here's a minimum no nonsense single policy" when it comes to firearm laws and as soon as one requirement is made / given then you're likely to keep getting more until it does become unaffordable (feature not bug imo).

To be fair the slippery slope fallacy, is a fallacy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Arven posted:

I've been getting phonebanked by planned parenthood and democrats for the last week to try to fundraise off of whats going on right now. I'm just completely baffled why they think I'd give them money when they have explicitly failed and lost the battle. They proved they didn't have the will or means to actually fight for it when it mattered. I felt bad saying that to the volunteers they have calling me because so far they always just apologize and hang up, but goddamn.

Forreal, like you guys won't even protect your own ability to even be elected to public office and you want me to believe you're gonna codify roe v wade if only you had a few more senators. lol?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because nothing succeeds like just giving up. Its how we beat fascism the first time, after all.

I mean it'd be on brand for senate dems?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

the last president is directly responsible for abortion not being available in about 1/3 of the country and people are still saying elections don't matter because ???? what exactly? The mentality that everything hasn't been fixed so nothing matters is such a lazy and entitled approach to life that it's no wonder that it's taken such deep root in a dying forum for middle aged sadsacks.

Well now senate dems have a call to action about abortion and the opportunity to show the incredulous what they're willing to attempt to get abortion codified. I doubt yelling "Give us money and vote us into power 2022" is going to prove anything to them and I personally wouldn't be surprised if even a weird D super majority comes about that you wouldn't have random centrist d's navel gazing about decorum and states rights and tyranny of the majority

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also it's worth mentioning that the Democrats are not a monolith. What message does it send if Raphael Warnock is voted out in Georgia next year?

Good thing you mentioned this, as a resident of Atlanta who voted and got him in last year(you're welcome). Democrats currently have less than a few months, assuming that if it passes someone will challenge it in court preventing it from going through so it needs to get settled in the court, to protect Warnock by passing the John Lewis voting rights act. Without which the following seats will probably flip red and never go blue again....

Governor.
State legislature in a red district
Senate
House in a red district

Basically the only positions in this state with any sort of actual power besides mayor of Atlanta.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

I feel like you've said this a dozen times and I have yet to see this crowd of cyber bullies calling you a doomer

To be fair I feel like I've seen people get called doomers in the current events thread every time this topic crops up.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 4, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

This. I don't understand why this is so difficult to get. You're not going to fix the Democratic Party from the top down. You need to either scrap it and start over (good luck, the system is designed to prevent that), or you fix it from the bottom up over a long period of time. It loving sucks, but it sucks less than just stepping to the side so the loving Nazis gain and maintain power.

I mean that's all assuming that amount of time exists at this point to allow the democrats to stop being feckless, reverse republicans loving up poo poo, and improve the collective welfare, before poo poo is just irreparable. I as a 30 year old computer toucher can hangout for another 38 years until statistically death takes me. Theoretical kids, nephews, and nieces may not have that luxury, and the generation after that probably has no hope.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 4, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean if it's true it means dude golden parachutes into a cesspit, so how is that bad news? Like dude looked at the last forever history of Trump and Trump owned properties and thought to himself "yea, the checks will definitely always clear"....idiot.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ganglysumbia posted:

likely lead to a low scale insurgency in the occupied region.

I can't imagine the Ukraine hasn't factored in "Everyone is gonna let us hang if Putin decides to invade" as part of a contingency plan and hasn't already hidden caches of weapons, prepped plans to blow up bridges and railroads in place, and have spec ops guys go to ground among the local population.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lol @ the standard "he was a good man and a good politician" eulogies.

Did no one think to do the smug "So you don't think World Wars 1 and 2 where cool and good? What are you some sort of pinko nazi sympathizer?"

I guess it was a different time

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

A junior admin typoed a command and accidentally'd the entire region. Basically he was supposed to delete a few redundant machines, but ended up deleting a whole lot more

RM -rf strikes again!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Look around at boring/lame elected positions in your area and run, especially if you're in a small town, and especially if it's the kind of place where republicans run unopposed. At least make them fight for it, and if you think you're not qualified for the job, so what, neither is the right-wing shithead running. He's just using it to spread bullshit and look toward moving up in the next election.

Sorry friend, Until or unless Democrats get voting rights reform passed, Biden signs it, and the supreme court doesn't toss it Georgia is a lost cause at this point unless you wanna run for a mayor/position in basically a 99% democrat area such as City of Atlanta.

Republicans have basically made it law in this state that the only fair elections in this state are overseen exclusively by republicans and the only rules that are fair are what ever they say it is, and if a Democrat wins, well obviously there's malfeasance so we have to run it back.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

It'll be fun when the Supreme Court ends up kicking this action because "guns are in the constitution, but abortion isn't"

Your honor, the constitution clearly states Arms and we are not suggesting that collectors give up their body part collections.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

None of them thought "hey instead of debasing ourselves, why don't we all just lift the carpet and haul it off the ice and split everything even?"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

God. loving. Dammit.

Can someone explain Elon Musks popularity?

He's not an engineer.

He's not a philanthropist as far as I can tell.

He's not a scientist.

He's not "self made".

I don't think he's ever actually setup a business besides being a large investor.

Like is "being a rich guy who throws money at potentially profitable business" really that worthy of praise?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I hope the doctors are allowed to keep the bribes.

what bribes? All I see are contributions in appreciation for adequate delivery of service.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

But y'all are probably right that vaccination isn't a pure preventative like it used to be. The one thing skeptical people have been saying is now likely true - it makes more sense for big venues to do testing/mask mandates versus vaccine-only door checking.

At this point as far as I know only New York has a source of truth for vaccinations anyway. Everywhere else is on a pinky swear and easily spoofed paper token system.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I can't imagine forged vaccination cards make up any more than the tiniest fraction of a percent though. That's a lot of effort to go through for people who find wearing a cloth mask for 20 minutes in Walmart to be an impossible burden.

I mean...

quote:

The league and players' union found that Brown was among three players who misrepresented their vaccination statuses. A former personal chef of Brown's said earlier this month that the wide receiver had obtained a fake COVID-19 vaccination card over the summer.......The league's investigation found that Brown brought a fake vaccination card with him to training camp, but shortly after he arrived someone told him having one could get him in trouble, so he made the decision to get vaccinated, sources told Graziano.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32772245/tampa-bay-buccaneers-wr-antonio-brown-suspended-3-games-covid-19-violation

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean it's cool and all, my dad will certainly appreciate being able to charge his vehicles places that aren't his house or work, but I'm fairly certain there are magnitudes more broke people driving beaters who can't switch than there are people who'd go electric if only they could have ev pumps in more places.

Edit: wanna make a dent offer a car buy back program where along with putting in new stations everywhere, the government will buy your lovely beater and give you an EV , valid one per household.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 16, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

They mentioned it:

There a reason not to give these dudes other than honorable or bad conduct discharges? Is that what you would generally get for telling the military to gently caress off?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

2022 and 2024 are going to be a loving bloodbath. Millions of Democratic voters are just going to stay the gently caress home.

I mean really dude could have stopped that quote at "Biden administration is unwilling to use literally any political capital to help"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This calls for the return of the greatest car design in history. The suzuki mighty boy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

They're to stick on gas pumps and they're apparently A Thing like "Let's Go Brandon". And I gotta say I'm tempted. The doomposter in me is mad enough about that gas price graph tweet from the Democrats twitter that I would chuckle if I saw one out in the wild.

I saw one of these in the wild two? weeks ago and I thought it was some poorly thought out vote rallying thing for biden.

"I was like, bruh, I'm still filling my tank for about 23$ the price didn't go down all that much."

As it turns out both me and the republican idiot are idiots.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I thought to myself that's an expensive way to track but for some reason stalker tech doesn't get the requisite 50$ apple mark up

This is cheaper than anything I could throw together DIY.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lightpole posted:

It doesn't even need to know its position, just its position relative to other Apple devices. Something to sense position, something to talk to Apple network, and power. Porbably costs less than $2 to make. If you had access to their network that's easy, otherwise you would have to find some way to talk to it but can easily do that off the shelf under $10.

I mean that's how much apple could do it for at the end of the day, but DIY you're looking at an arduino board, a GPS module, a gsm module and something to power it. The board and modules alone are gonna run you 30-40$.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Not that I support brutal crack downs by any kind of government, but if I was elected as a leftist in a wave for my own protection I would probably do a lot of internal cleaning of the intelligence apparatus and then basically hide in a bunker until my new intelligence apparatus can get a handle on most of the violent idiots in the country. Especially if I was in latin america, I would be asking for tips from castro on how not to get deaded by the CIA.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BUG JUG posted:

I have some bad news for you about Comrade Fidel...

*checks wikipedia* Well poo poo, I guess his secrets go to the grave.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hypersonic delivery vehicles and poo poo like Russia's ~Doomsday Torpedo~ are, first and foremost, an opening gambit in forcing the US/NATO to develop similar technologies and *counters* to them.

You'd have assumed Russia's economy learned its lesson years ago about getting into a game of one upsmanship with Raytheon et al. Especially since we have the political will to cut the MIC a blank check and 50% of the population not caring if 99% of the population starves so long as we maintain the ability to destroy the east asian muslim chinese red menace

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

They really gonna try and kick poo poo off at Christmas?

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1474406185440739329

Forge casus belli event against Ukraine not particularly believable Russia. Atleast have Ukraine blow up a bridge in Russia or something

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Defenestration never goes out of style

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

The writers have been in reruns lately, it's really a shameful lack of effort all-around.

The first thing that public school should have beaten out of people is the 1st Amendment applies to federal and state government and doesn't prevent your fellow citizens from calling you a jackass.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fucks sake, that handwriting is worse than mine.

At what point do you just hire someone with good handwriting?

At what point do we leave hand written notes where they belong, in museums and other places you keep relics of bygone eras?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Totally get it, but calligraphy as a craft will always be useful. Not saying everyone needs to know cursive anymore, but it definitely has a place.

Microsoft word would produce better results than Cawthorn though.

I think calligraphy needs to remain the purview of "jobs that exist because of fancy rich people partys" and graphic design artists so that I can have fancy fonts for photoshop.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Lethality Jane posted:

"CrossFit is anti-American propaganda and must be purged from the United States Military"

Tough but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

Caro went through a lot of horrific stuff but as far as goon project's go gotta give it to him that was by far the most successful

I mean the standard for success at this point is 1) it happening and 2) no one died or was defrauded

edit:

Cugel the Clever posted:

Always worth reminding those who haven't followed the whole saga that Caro did some Very Bad poo poo in Libya, driven by severe mental health issues.

What'd he do? From what I remember reading through on the forums the most horrible thing I vaguely remember was I believe someone had a gun shot wound or something and there where no medics around and he took it on himself to try to do untrained doctoring on a dude.

edit: not denying he couldn't have done really bad poo poo over there, just not remembering anything in particular.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 30, 2021