Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I know I'm just wondering what the next sham issue will be.

Oh I've got this one pegged already. Once the cultural feeling on the right is that babies aren't being murdered anymore it will be race- and class-coded worries about *those* people, you know the ones, welfare moms just cranking out the babies and taking *your* hard earned tax dollars. We need to do something about *those* people having too many babies. They're not good for the future of the nation, you see. Plus it's really better for them, they just don't understand it. *They* aren't smart and compassionate like *us*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Dems want my vote to protect Roe? Where the gently caress have they been for the last 50 years on protecting Roe? Activists have been screaming about exactly this happening longer than I've been alive. Now I'm supposed to believe they'll do anything? Pick any god drat time you want when they had however many seats you think is the magic amount and let their actions prove what they're worth.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The basic problem is poo poo is bad, and it's going to get a lot worse. There's no stopping the snowballs that have started rolling down some mountains. People have to cope with that in their own ways and emotions like this are intensely personal. Don't get pissed and blame the people that nope the gently caress out of this bullshit.

They can't fix it.

The people that could will not.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That Works posted:

I wonder how much of this is playing out all around the country. I expect lots and for it to increase in tempo before the midterms and the next presidential.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/georgia-republicans-purge-black-democrats-county-election-boards-rcna8207

This, gerrymandering, putting loyalists in key positions. Jan 6th was a practice run. They saw what stopped them and now they're fixing that. There won't be another election in this country again, and the supreme court will say it's legal.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When the choice is "live and die in poverty the same way about 1/3 of my high school graduating class has already" or get the GI Bill, well, not really much of a choice. Anyone who wants to criticize me and others like me can pony up the ~$60k tuition that was the only thing that has allowed me to stay employed somewhere outside of meth labs or the local Dollar General in the shithole Pennsultucky area I grew up in. The few people from home that I grew up with that I still want talk to, and are still alive/out of jail, say on the regular things have not gotten better.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The magnetic poles, as in the things compasses respond to and that generate earth's magnetic field, switch every few hundred thousand years (from memory) due to ongoing processes in the planetary core that are not understood yet to the best of my recollection. The weather poles, as in where the cold air is/stays, are 1000% straight hosed and it's due to man-made climate change destabilizing the atmosphere.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sooooo.... loving gigantic security hole in a Java logging library that allows remote arbitrary code execution.

Yeah, that Java. The one that tells you how many billions of devices it runs on.

Pretty sure I want to stick with networking and not do cyber security as a primary job function and this stuff is why.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd imagine it's yet another decorum-brained attempt to wrap themselves around potential Republican talking points by not giving them OTH dischargs or something. Which is completely loving useless with fascists but whatever, succdems gonna succdem.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hm yes, Nancy Pelosi and the DNC are personally ordering the service chiefs to do this. Definitely a sane theory rather than

I'm figuring a lot of direction on this is coming from Biden, with covid being a bit of a political cluster gently caress and him being commander in chief and all. Might be wrong on that point, willing to accept I am. Just don't see too many people with stars and careers wanting to do anything on this without having someone else's orders to fall back on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Current event: New Witcher season is out on Netflix

Friday episodes of The Expanse too.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Am I understanding that the daily case rate is near as dammit one per cent of the total population?

Well hey then, open 're up we'll have this done and over with in 100 days. That's just how numbers work.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's the brainless hatred which fuels the right in this country that irritates me. Caveman-level thought processes, 'Ook'-ing and grunting like a chimpanzee screeching angrily at the other guy but pretending because they used a word or two like 'gas prices' that they have a point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The wife wants a bamboo fence if we ever get a house. Years I've been trying to tell her it won't stay a fence and it won't ever go away we had a patch of that stuff in the neighborhood growing up and it didn't stay a patch. As much of a gigantic pain in the dick as that stuff is if we ever get a place I'll deal with the periodic mini-arguments. Will suck a whole lot less.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Midjack posted:

Maybe the absolute lack of meaningful response after they annex Ukraine will finally convince them that NATO is irrelevant.

Doesn't sound like a very useful propaganda message to me. Don't think Pootie Poot will be down with that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Magugu posted:

James Webb Space telescope launches 30 min or so from this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nT7JGZMbtM

Well that's a positive. I've become such a pessimist lately I expected it to just blow up on the launch pad or something.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soul Dentist posted:

What's everybody's favorite Christmas movie?

Die Hard
:colbert:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Heard an NPR piece about Don't Look Up where the writers fell in to the same trap as The Onion. Quote from memory is, "We had to make everything 20% crazier because reality kept out doing us"

Still liked it even if there were some really, really sharp lines damning the reality we live in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Reimbursing testing fees through your insurance for testing of a global pandemic is so god drat American it hurts.

No insurance? Get hosed. Can't afford to dump money in a test and hold the cost until insurance decides they need to give away money? Get hosed. Insurance company spins up eternal bullshit of paper work, "losing" what you send them, and forcing you to drat near take them to court so you never get that money from them? Get hosed.

What else are we going to do, just hand out the tests like some kind of functional government not beholden to corporate lobbyists over your continued existence? Get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's also a poo poo ton of people who would look at "another shutdown" and ask you what the hell you're talking about with "another". They never got one in the first place. They got some banging pots and pans, an article or two on some websites about being "critical personnel" then told "get the gently caress back to work no you don't get pay reflecting your critical status there's groceries that need to be scanned try not to die it's inconvenient."