Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/1...ientists-report

Omicron is spreading twice as fast as Delta is in South Africa. So hopefully if it’s actually a less deadly or severe variant this might be arguably a good thing.

The other variants carried degrees of reinfection risk and omicron is apparently significantly more capable of reinfecting hosts who had a previous covid infection. Widely spreading omicron is not going to confer widespread immunity. It's going to blast through "already had it so I'm good" chuds and "usually mask and distance but just so tired!" libs alike. It remains to be seen whether vaccines will save us. Maybe I'm wrong and you should ignore my unrepentant doomerism or perhaps I've just missed your point, but the idea that the even more infectious, even more antibody evading variant is going to be a "good thing" doesn't make sense unless you are assuming corona is a disease that you can get over and become immune to (it hasn't been so far). I'd assume the opposite: that a whole lot of lung soup death is knocking on our door right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What has been established so far about Omicron?

https://mobile.twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1466501186450649089

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I note with some dismay that the diagrams used to prove this point say "window" instead of "fenster"

But yes these foreign language geology terms are fun. I love that when it turns to glacial geomorphology, all the words turn French

moulin, arete, cirque, roche moutonnee (sheepy-lookin rock lol)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Stultus Maximus posted:

How about Gaelic? Kame, esker, drumlin

True! Seems like it's French for glaciated mountains* and Scottish gaelic for ice sheet landscapes**.

Probably Norse* and words from arctic dwelling indigenous people**, too, depending on proximity between mountains and ocean.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Cugel the Clever posted:

So the ______ sent a memo to the media and the commentariat to play down Omicron to boost... air travel and gas purchases??

This seems too evil for the oil companies or not evil enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
This is loving crazy. My last year of college I lived in Lafayette and took the bus down S. Boulder road every day, a bunch of houses I used to pass every day have burned down. The fire is threatening my old neighborhood