Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've only finished the first book in the Wayfarer series by Becky Chambers so no spoilers for future books pls.

The main characters of the book work on a wormhole-drilling rig that drills wormholes through subspace to facilitate interstellar travel.

In the book, the character describes the difference between a "blind punch" and an "anchored punch."

In a blind punch, the drill sets up a "cage" around one planned terminus of the wormhole. The cage keeps the wormhole open and stable. They drill through subspace and erect a cage when they pop out the other side.

They use blind punches to establish a wormhole tunnels to worlds that have no wormhole links.

When they want to make a direct connection between two planets that are already linked by successive jumps, they use an "anchored punch." For an anchored punch, they erect a cage at one planned terminus, then fly the long way through the successive jumps to the other side, erect a cage there, then drill from one to the other.

Okay, so here's my question: why don't they erect the cage on their end, have a third party set up the other cage at the target site, then drill directly from one to the other???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hot date tonight! posted:

Okay trap sprung I guess, I can't believe I've read these books. They do what you're suggesting in later books. I think they use the blind punches only for destinations where they can't get the equipment in place beforehand, either because the society at the destination doesn't have the technical ability to build it, or because there's no society there at all.

There are also ships that can punch and act like tow trucks for remote locations. Hope that helps OP.

Ok so why didn't they do it in the first book?