Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

Hoping I can get a good Linux install and not bother with win11 for games.

:same: hopefully I can get a desktop that can do all the latest games at minimum but usable spec

I should be on the lookout for deals and stuff I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

I got really concerned that my Linux thing on this Chromebook was permanently borken, but it just needed like 5x as long to start up this go-round.

Weird, huh?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

sb hermit posted:

:same: hopefully I can get a desktop that can do all the latest games at minimum but usable spec

I should be on the lookout for deals and stuff I guess

I don't play much for latest games, but Heretic should run at about a billion fps :lol:
If I wasn't broke pretty much all the time I'd have waited for a good deal, but this works great and I can buy ram and storage over time.
Good luck with your search.

cruft posted:

I got really concerned that my Linux thing on this Chromebook was permanently borken, but it just needed like 5x as long to start up this go-round.

Weird, huh?

I thought mine was awhile ago. finally figured out that it was an issue with windows crashes making the bios switch boot order to a drive with a broken windows one. But boot process taking a minute to remember what to do next is scary.
Especially just the topleft corner being a white box. That thing scares me if it sits there for more than a couple seconds.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

Especially just the topleft corner being a white box. That thing scares me if it sits there for more than a couple seconds.

BYOB Linux discussion thread: white boxes are kinda scary

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I'm a little interested in how many instances I could run simultaneously on the new computer of just terminals executing sl.

it's a dumb idea, but I love dumb ideas. it'd have to be tens of thousands? terminal emulator choice I think would be the biggest factor. KiTTy wouldn't be a great one, although it's a nice terminal, Terminator has too much, really something stripped would work. maybe tmux it from base interface. No silly wm or anything in the way.
I think it'd find a way to bottleneck the cpu before filling ram. I could be way off on that though. oh poo poo, forkbombing myself with adding new tmux windows of sl everytime...
I still very much want to forkbomb a computer/server with like 1tb ram. that'd be and interesting watch of resources. maybe something simple like fluxbox and one of the splitting terminals. cuts the total number down alil from loading extra stuff to ram.

Spaced hard. trying to decide it I pull a drive from laptop to put in desktop or wait couple days and buy a small drive and split the main with win. going to see how well a couple things run before I decide on a final config, but I wanna work out the drive stuff too.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
more falafel please

forums poster

display is absolutely gonna be the limiting factor. if you take away the part where it's actually displaying the terminal in any way:

unless sl does a bunch of useless math for no reason to spike CPU (which it could since it's a troll program to begin with) then I think you'd run out of PIDs on a modern machine before you were using all your cpu just doing the logic of sl, and that includes ncurses or whatever it's doing. so yeah. it's hard to really express how fast CPUs are anymore when they're not waiting on something (memory, disk, GPU, context switch to the kernel or to another process) and on a multicore system you'll be able to use basically all of them

memory shouldn't be a significant issue since it's gonna be dominated by the program itself (can't imagine sl is keeping more than a few KB of state, unless it's as a troll) which is just gonna be in the same pages

honestly the tight loop of the program itself is probably all gonna fit in icache which means you won't have memory pressure either

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

honestly the limiting factor even if you get rid of the display is gonna be the write(2) system calls and their associated context switches

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

It's likely I'll never see a computer hardlock from sl. Haha, it'd be funny though.

Ive been trying to remember this program that you give it a text file and it prints the text file per character on any key press.
It was very cool to fake typing fast, but I think it was made to pretend to be working when not.
I always had it run in a window while people were over and randomly would spam the keys and have lines of something I was working on show up.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I'm a little interested in how many instances I could run simultaneously on the new computer of just terminals executing sl.

it's a dumb idea, but I love dumb ideas. it'd have to be tens of thousands? terminal emulator choice I think would be the biggest factor. KiTTy wouldn't be a great one, although it's a nice terminal, Terminator has too much, really something stripped would work. maybe tmux it from base interface. No silly wm or anything in the way.
I think it'd find a way to bottleneck the cpu before filling ram. I could be way off on that though. oh poo poo, forkbombing myself with adding new tmux windows of sl everytime...
I still very much want to forkbomb a computer/server with like 1tb ram. that'd be and interesting watch of resources. maybe something simple like fluxbox and one of the splitting terminals. cuts the total number down alil from loading extra stuff to ram.

Spaced hard. trying to decide it I pull a drive from laptop to put in desktop or wait couple days and buy a small drive and split the main with win. going to see how well a couple things run before I decide on a final config, but I wanna work out the drive stuff too.

rxvt is very light on resources. I used to run it on the Sun4 because I could have like 8 going at once and not bump into system resource limits.

I think there's a newer suckless one called xvt or vt or something, but rxvt would be easier to get going.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I think this computer doesn't want to run popOS off a usb to let me do a bunch of modification to drives. haha. I gotta get them switched to ntfs then I can use one as my linux drive. it keeps forgetting the hdds exist though. I'm not sure if it's a flash drive thing or a drive thing. I'm pretty sure they can be on the same power ribbon, so I think it's just breaking something trying to do a bunch of file transfers from an installer.
E:side-lol at windows' new security feature of a pin instead of a password. even less variance allowed, improved security... somehow

I still need to pick a tux for the computer. So, testing a few would be nice. I want to test on hard drives before I cut a slice off my ssd. That's why I'm working on getting drives converted to ntfs, without losing some of the data, before just installing.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 26, 2024

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

it keeps forgetting the hdds exist though. I'm not sure if it's a flash drive thing or a drive thing. I'm pretty sure they can be on the same power ribbon, so I think it's just breaking something trying to do a bunch of file transfers from an installer.

Do you mean that the hard drives don’t show up while you’re in pop OS?

If they show up in /proc/partitions then maybe you can configure fstab or something to mount them on boot maybe.

Or do you mean that they show up initially, then disappear?

If it’s the latter, then dmesg should tell you why the kernel yanked it out from under you.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Dealt with a bunch. On a first test of seeing if Druager loads.
Going to have to really do testing tomorrow. but just messing around with a usb already sitting.
Hit deny by accident and stopped myself from signing into steam. haha, sorted.
Yummy partitioning.
clicky install.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

sb hermit posted:

Do you mean that the hard drives don’t show up while you’re in pop OS?

If they show up in /proc/partitions then maybe you can configure fstab or something to mount them on boot maybe.

Or do you mean that they show up initially, then disappear?

If it’s the latter, then dmesg should tell you why the kernel yanked it out from under you.

yea, it was the latter. but only in pop. I think it might have been the difference in a cheap usb vs a pretty nice one. I cleaned the 500 anyways and am installing linux on it right now. I'll format the 1tb later.

never checked /proc/partitions, but I'm guessing it should be the sameish of lsblk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

yea, it was the latter. but only in pop. I think it might have been the difference in a cheap usb vs a pretty nice one. I cleaned the 500 anyways and am installing linux on it right now. I'll format the 1tb later.

never checked /proc/partitions, but I'm guessing it should be the sameish of lsblk?

yeah

if it's the latter then look at dmesg but I think a pretty nice usb should fix all your issues