Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshCutFries

are arch and gentoo not things anymore? i haven't hosed with anything outside of ubuntu in like a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao

gentoo continues to be a meme, but i think most of the serious users moved to nixos

arch is a good base for other distros still and the wiki remains impeccable

vanillaos is a newcomer but looks neat

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

FreshCutFries posted:

are arch and gentoo not things anymore? i haven't hosed with anything outside of ubuntu in like a decade

I dunno bout gentoo since I never used it, but I got a fresh arch a bit ago to rebuild a laptop I've not used in awhile.

I'm about done trying 'gamer' distros because none of them work for poo poo older than a few years.

I'm gonna be really pissed if I end up with a license to play games on my '13 laptop that's not had trouble playing anything since. I really don't wanna have to upgrade. I really hosed myself updating to the newest version of parrot this year. updating never works on anything for me.

emSparkly

I'm open to interpretation!
Archinstall may have no gui but it makes it trivial to set up the distro these days.

I am a patient they.

more falafel please

forums poster

back in my day gentoo stage 3 was the option for if you were hardcore and wanted to spend 4 days installing an OS that didn't work

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

cruft

more falafel please posted:

back in my day gentoo stage 3 was the option for if you were hardcore and wanted to spend 4 days installing an OS that didn't work

Back in my day, slackware was the option for if you were hardcore and wanted to spend 4 days installing an OS that didn't work.

There were no other options, back in my day :(

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I got a recent Arch ISO and sometime and going to reinstall on my extra laptop. Arch I3+fluxbox... If I still can get those, they all were cool so I hope flux is still out there. But, I'm also going to have to do something friendlier for a kid. So, any ideas on a WM or DE that's pretty simple? just need to be able to smack a few things on a bar or panel or desktop. Might be a bit crazy doing an Arch install for a 4 year old, but also it'll give him max resources on an old dual core. Mostly just gonna hook up some small games and streaming sites, but I want to not make him mess with menus too much. Also gonna wack a big rear end cursor on there for him.

Only thing really I ever had issues with on Arch installs though is forgetting things. Space out and forget something partitioning or don't mount something. Last couple I got in one go, before that it was normally 20 mins in and I'd realize what I forgot way earlier and go back. Was helpful when I figured out how to go around the order of things and be able to put stuff in later. Installing like that is a great way to learn some cli skills.

When I build a new computer next year I wanna put an arch partition in and set it default boot. Then just set it up so beautifully out of control for anyone that's not operating my brain during usage. I'd love someone trying to use it and it's just a garbage fire of poo poo that's nothing like windows/mac/android/reason. I had a computer back in 05 I took the mouse off because people kept trying to use it. So I had to do everything with keyboard, would have loved to know about something like i3 back then, but it got everyone to stop asking to use my computer. Such a nice little thing. 40GB storage and get this, 2 CPU cores. Half gig of RAM baby! It's funny how massively useless that seems for poo poo now, but I have a couple of them old mid 2000s desktops that run arch/debian really well.

I lost track of things because I woke up alil drunk this morn. sorry :one:

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
sb hermit

I got into Linux in the late 90s and it was standard practice to compile and install a new kernel that was tuned to your hardware because hardware compatibility was a big issue in early Linux. You also had to tweak your X Windows config if you wanted any resolution higher than, like, 640x480 or so.

Nevertheless, it was really cool for me. A free C and C++ compiler, immunity from Windows viruses and stuff, and a ton of free and useful software. Still needed to dual boot Windows for games, though.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Used windows for some stuff n it crashed. Now I can't boot Linux or windows. Why does windows corrupt drives by crashing? Enough that it fucks up partitions it hasn't access to. That's what I get for not copying Photoshop settings.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
emSparkly

All I know is that the Windows bootloader is a massive bastard hog and will completely gently caress up dual boot setups. I stg I've had it overwrite GRUB and rendered my linux partition unbootable.

I am a patient they.

hark

I'm sleep

emSparkly posted:

All I know is that the Windows bootloader is a massive bastard hog and will completely gently caress up dual boot setups. I stg I've had it overwrite GRUB and rendered my linux partition unbootable.

this has happened to me numerous times and it's infuriating every time.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I think what happened is it massively messed up one drive. 2 of them are fine and mount in a live usb boot of linux. the third shows in lsblk but won't mount and gparted shows it as unknown. I guess I could format it and see if that helps, but it's got my home folder and lots of stuff. Going to order a new drive soon and see if I can get stuff I need moved over. For now I'm running off this flash drive. Works enough to watch youtube and look things up. I think I'm ordering new computer in about 6 months. So, I might end up reinstalling if I can't figure out the home folder thing. If I can't get windows to recover without a full install then I'm gonna be skipping it completely and will just not have it connect to any shared drive when I put it on the new one. But, worst case I think my backup for home folder is less than 6 months old and I saved most projects from being able to mount 2 of the drives.
I have decided though that I need to set up a persistent portable install on an SD card for emergencies. I'd have been a bit of a worse spot if I didn't already have a bunch of flash drives with different systems to use in the mean time.

Yea, the windows bootloader is why everytime I've reinstalled windows I plan to reinstall linux right after.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Here's a possible solution to stop having Windows screw up your bootloaders while keeping an installation around if you need one: virtual machines. They work just as good as the real thing these days.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I love a good VM. Another possible solution is to let windows do it's bootloader thing, but already have GRUB on a different drive
Does windows run alright in VM? I think the only time I've tried it was because I had the stuff to install win95 and wanted that first home computer feeling.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

So, one drive is kinda hosed. That's good enough excuse to replace 1tb 5400 with a 2tb ssd, right? I adjusted the partition on my ssd and reinstalled to it. Really glad that I regularly backup history file and a separate one of just all the times I install things. So, I got a list to go through to remember little things I might forget to install.
I did manage to get the broken drive to mount but it was being weird so I pulled a bunch of stuff out of the home partition and the main shared one. Going to wait til I have a bigger external and rescue as much of the rest as I can.

took me about 3 minutes to learn that I didn't have rofi installed and had to fix that. now I'm just gonna lounge and install stuff while watching movies. A really weird thing is it came with nvim and that didn't work for everything I have set up, so replaced with vim and happy edits again.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

So, one drive is kinda hosed. That's good enough excuse to replace 1tb 5400 with a 2tb ssd, right? I adjusted the partition on my ssd and reinstalled to it. Really glad that I regularly backup history file and a separate one of just all the times I install things. So, I got a list to go through to remember little things I might forget to install.
I did manage to get the broken drive to mount but it was being weird so I pulled a bunch of stuff out of the home partition and the main shared one. Going to wait til I have a bigger external and rescue as much of the rest as I can.

took me about 3 minutes to learn that I didn't have rofi installed and had to fix that. now I'm just gonna lounge and install stuff while watching movies. A really weird thing is it came with nvim and that didn't work for everything I have set up, so replaced with vim and happy edits again.

If it's broken in a way that you could get files off it, maybe you just need to reformat it. Like, the physical drive could be just fine.

It could be headed to failtown, too, though. (It sounds like you're fishing for an excuse to buy an SSD, so there you go :)

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

vim :hfive:

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Cruft, I'm def not looking for an excuse to buy a newer drive(sorta am), but sametime it's been in my laptop since 04 so it's prob dying to some amount. I already thought of smacking it into a mount after replacement and give it the wipe. if it works after that then I'll be well pleased to use it as a backup drive and leave it in a shelf when I don't need it.

Gotta have it. If I can't just 'vim' and have a list of regularly edited stuff it hurts... but so many plugins and I can barely type without vim anymore.

cruft

There's a way to ask the drive how it thinks things are going. Look for something like SMART utilities.

oatmealraisin
I tried installing Dwarf Fortress today, but I had a GPG error for the AUR package I was downloading, so I gave up. Yay my productivity!

Linux wins again B^)

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Was it in pacman? I haven't done much with arch base in awhile, but I used to use yaourt, or whatever it's called, for a lot of stuff..

I had a distro that changed its whole system to update in a summer when I didn't have internet and I hosed off so much time forcing it to switch repositories and acknowledge the new servers. With ya for the fun times.

alexandriao

oatmealraisin posted:

I tried installing Dwarf Fortress today, but I had a GPG error for the AUR package I was downloading, so I gave up. Yay my productivity!

Linux wins again B^)

theres a really easy answer but i always forget it. you need to pull down the new gpg keys and you also need to upgrade more often lmao

oatmealraisin
No no don't help me, lest I fall into dwarven depravity. It's for the best

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

oatmealraisin posted:

Hey, hey kid, have you heard about Proton? Did you know if you install Proton the dwarves will work issue-free and then you have to play with them FOREVER?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

oatmealraisin

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, hey kid, have you heard about Proton? Did you know if you install Proton the dwarves will work issue-free and then you have to play with them FOREVER?

Why did toady remove native Linux, WHYYY!??!

Mederlock

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it

nesamdoom posted:

I'm about done trying 'gamer' distros because none of them work for poo poo older than a few years.

Have you tried PopOS? It's been working pretty good for me, I put it on my Frankensteined Thinkpad with switchable Nvidia graphics and it's treated me pretty good so far

cruft

Have you tried FreeBSD? It won't help with any of your problems but I feel the need to jump on this "have you tried" bandwagon.

emSparkly

Pop OS's weird hacked Gnome gives me a rash

I am a patient they.

big black turnout

cruft posted:

Have you tried FreeBSD? It won't help with any of your problems but I feel the need to jump on this "have you tried" bandwagon.

Look at this noob not even using Haiku

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I had a Haiku VM a long time ago, but never followed up with it.
Kinda want to try putting it on a laptop now. And only post haikus.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

one day I’m gonna install netbsd and then see ya later nerds!!!

baka of lathspell

installin fedora atm. only previous experience is with mint

how do you do fellow linux users

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

emSparkly

If discord gets screen sharing with audio working on Linux I swear I will ditch Windows forever.

Actually, if I ever need to do that can I just use a virtual machine? Virtualization is good now right? I have a relatively beefy machine.

I am a patient they.

alexandriao

emSparkly posted:

If discord gets screen sharing with audio working on Linux I swear I will ditch Windows forever.

Actually, if I ever need to do that can I just use a virtual machine? Virtualization is good now right? I have a relatively beefy machine.

Discord Audio flatpak works for sharing videogames that are full screened with their audio, and Google Chrome can share tabs with audio to Discord if its in another tab. The latter is useful for sharing Plex

BlankSystemDaemon

oatmealraisin posted:

i got bad news about 50.10, op

oatmealraisin

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i got bad news about 50.10, op

<oatmealraisin has been found dead, starved to death>

But honestly this makes me so happy I get my cute dwarves native

50 population limit unlimited cat population time

Mescal

posting from endeavouros! does anybody have a qtile config they'd like to share?

Mescal

emSparkly posted:

frightening. i was just about to say how things never change. I was just about to say it's nice to install a drive with just the os partition. the 2nd M.2 ssd slot was hidden under GPU, awkward. so it's nice, I got windows only on this drive. linux only on this drive.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I think the separate drive method is what I'll go with in the future. then have some big storage drives shared for file housing. Then Windows can never touch my tux install. I do know that having happened to end up with grub installed on multiple drives ended up being a life saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Got a 2tb SSD coming today or tomorrow to replace 1tb HDD and was wondering if there were suggested cloning methods? Also, I can't remember if Linux ever needed me to manually do stuff for SSD, like on windows turning off settings to keep it healthy longer, so anything people can think of?

Worst case I do have some 3rd party partitioning Software on Windows that could clone, but the drive has 5 partition's and I'm very sketchy on Windows handling drives now.