Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

Got a 2tb SSD coming today or tomorrow to replace 1tb HDD and was wondering if there were suggested cloning methods? Also, I can't remember if Linux ever needed me to manually do stuff for SSD, like on windows turning off settings to keep it healthy longer, so anything people can think of?

Worst case I do have some 3rd party partitioning Software on Windows that could clone, but the drive has 5 partition's and I'm very sketchy on Windows handling drives now.

Is it just the Linux FS on the 1tb or do you have Windows too? If it's just Linux, rsync ought to do it, plus a bit of twiddling your uefi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Is it just the Linux FS on the 1tb or do you have Windows too? If it's just Linux, rsync ought to do it, plus a bit of twiddling your uefi.

Main is NTFS with a popos partition and my home folder from before a reinstall. There's a swap I'm not using. Really I could be fine without the Linux ones and set them back up later with reinstalls.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
sb hermit

I have had many computers with SSDs that have used just Linux and they’ve done just fine. Haven’t had to install Windows for anything.

Only thing I would suggest is to make sure trim is enabled as a filesystem option if you have an ssd.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

sb hermit posted:

I have had many computers with SSDs that have used just Linux and they’ve done just fine. Haven’t had to install Windows for anything.

Only thing I would suggest is to make sure trim is enabled as a filesystem option if you have an ssd.

I think there's a windows thing that like having a swap partition overrules. I've gotten years from, my only ssd, not messing with it for linux and having to tell windows to not write several gigs of pointless poo poo everyday.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
baka of lathspell

everyday i love logging onto my linux computer, whose with me byob

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Even my local ATM would benefit from Linux. Sure would be nice going to get cash without it stuck on 'starting windows'

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

baka fwocka fwame posted:

everyday i love logging onto my linux computer, whose with me byob

Lol, I noticed secondarily log in. I don't every have to other than reboot but I never reboot really so I've have Linux on/logged in for months at a time. I get other people not wanting to leave an os running for months, but it's kinda dope Linux can.

baka of lathspell

nesamdoom posted:

Even my local ATM would benefit from Linux. Sure would be nice going to get cash without it stuck on 'starting windows'

its funny the subway monitors here were running linux and i noticed it cuz it had crashed

But i love linux unironically

nesamdoom posted:

Lol, I noticed secondarily log in. I don't every have to other than reboot but I never reboot really so I've have Linux on/logged in for months at a time. I get other people not wanting to leave an os running for months, but it's kinda dope Linux can.

yea im actually doing this too but its funny to say logging in

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

sb hermit

But i love linux unironically

:same:

Mescal

same. post your qtile config

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I was thinking about the way I had things set up, years ago, just now and waking someone up to loud music and pretending I misclicked didn't really pan out while I could make everything play stuff from my computer with ssh/ftp connections. It was still hilarious to say that I just sent the stuff to the wrong computer and feign ignorance while they didn't know enough to prove I was being an rear end in a top hat.

Bout time to start teaching the kid some tux usage though. He knows letters, but not spelling. maybe knowing 'music' aliased to cmus or 'youtube' aliased to freetube would teach him to type letters in order for what he wants.

Mescal posted:

same. post your qtile config

no clue what qtile is. would guess it's a twm? i3 is the only one I've really used and I love it, but if you can rec then I'll pop a test off.

baka of lathspell

nesamdoom you are felt. my biggest issue tho is x86 bad on my nobara runtime's battery life

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

nesamdoom you are felt. my biggest issue tho is x86 bad on my nobara runtime's battery life

yea, I haven't had my laptop out the house in years now. battery isn't much concern anymore. I've not heard of nobara, gonna give it a vm test and might give it a shot at an install. I love me some Parrot, but it's just for getting poo poo done now and I can't really gently caress off on that system.

alexandriao

So apparently that may be entirely fixable. I was reading about Asahi Linux (linux for apple computers) and basically apple isnt doing anything special, it's all in software, and the options for Apple level battery life exist in the linux kernel already but nobody turns them on lol

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alexandriao posted:

So apparently that may be entirely fixable. I was reading about Asahi Linux (linux for apple computers) and basically apple isnt doing anything special, it's all in software, and the options for Apple level battery life exist in the linux kernel already but nobody turns them on lol

:lol: tricking an apple unix to linux. That's a cool tip for shifting things to better battery.

baka of lathspell

yee i might look into it. ngl at the moment would have no idea how or effort involved but ive heard about it if not the specifics lol

battery life is only useful to me in a pinch otherwise it isnt a huge deal

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

alexandriao

nesamdoom posted:

:lol: tricking an apple unix to linux. That's a cool tip for shifting things to better battery.

Huh? No it's basically stock Linux, and they're working on making sure you can install say, an offshoot of Fedora, and have everything work ootb. Most of that is fixing bugs but they fo recompile the kernel to flip on some pre-existing switches for energy dependent scheduling. They also developed a pipewire filter to get the speakers sounding nice and a system daemon for making sure the speakers aren't driven too hard. And they've added drivers/interfaces for stuff like the touchbar and drivers for the camera firmware chip

But like, theres no tricking its a clean wipe and install :)

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 15, 2024

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alexandriao posted:

Huh? No it's basically stock Linux, and they're working on making sure you can install say, an offshoot of Fedora, and have everything work ootb. Most of that is fixing bugs but they fo recompile the kernel to flip on some pre-existing switches for energy dependent scheduling. They also developed a pipewire filter to get the speakers sounding nice and a system daemon for making sure the speakers aren't driven too hard. And they've added drivers/interfaces for stuff like the touchbar and drivers for the camera firmware chip

That sounds cool. I was just making a joke at a Unix system device being Linux'd. I'll have to look it up sometime though.

baka of lathspell

alexandriao posted:

ty for this i have no idea on any of this personally i just use this poo poo

E: i have cw'ed and installed so many times that i might bleed from my eyes if i do it again tho lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Does amd cpu/gpus play well on linux? I'm guessing cpus do because that's a more common. Just still working on a new computer and figure current stuff will have more compatibility than my old rear end laptop for drivers.
in a toss up with building(which I've not done completely) and a system with intel/nvidia or one with both amd.
worst case I can delete windows of the laptop and run that on the new one just for gaming and linux runs everything else great on here.

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

Does amd cpu/gpus play well on linux? I'm guessing cpus do because that's a more common. Just still working on a new computer and figure current stuff will have more compatibility than my old rear end laptop for drivers.
in a toss up with building(which I've not done completely) and a system with intel/nvidia or one with both amd.
worst case I can delete windows of the laptop and run that on the new one just for gaming and linux runs everything else great on here.

I sure hope so! I think the Steam Deck runs on AMD.

emSparkly

I'm open to interpretation!

nesamdoom posted:

AMD graphics have a good deal more support than Nvidia.

I am a patient they.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

emSparkly posted:

AMD graphics have a good deal more support than Nvidia.

That's what I was remembering from years ago. I did some more checking and yea, AMD still seems to be doing more for Linux systems.

Luckily someone wrote a very nice little thing for my mouse on linux and I have been so happy to actually be able to adjust the settings and lights. Github searches often save the day for me.

baka of lathspell

speaking as someone running nvidia on linux thats prolly why half the poo poo i want to work never works including nvidea streaming :psyduck:

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

big black turnout

yeah nvidia blows on Linux

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I think I'm gonna go with the AMD prebuilt or maybe run numbers on building one.
I did all the stuff ine 2017-2018 to work issues out of having bumblebee and primus/optirun work properly. there were only like a thousand things to fix here and there, but finding help working out the issues for a ten year old laptop isn't that easy anymore. I did, at least have it run csgo with the same settings at like 10 fps more, for awhile until an update to the game that favoured the windows build.
I'm gonna cut pretty much everything from windows on this laptop and leave it as barebones as possible for just a couple things. long term I'll try to sort through POP not using my gpu, but windows won't matter more than a couple things I don't like to wine. Everything else will shift over to a shared wine folder between Parrot and whatever I end up settling for gaming. Mostly going to be for the kid and even intel can run a lot of what he wants to play.POPos seems to just want to run stuff with intel even when set to run nvidia. both displays are controlled by the cpu so there's some weird hangup in convincing it to render with nvidia. Might just end up getting rid of a bunch and boot this to windows when the kid wants to play stuff and let him play whatever he wants that's not drm'd to not run on win7. use the new one to actually play games and probably ignore the windows install mostly. might actually use the day i set up the new one to do a clean windows install from the 2014 disc I have. I'm guessing it'll piss some things off, but that's funny. I have a 'murder' alias to skip the warning for rf. it is my fave part of getting linux to work on old computers.

incase anyone notices the date, I have my zsh theme set up as a thing that works, so y/m/d works for me to click through memory to see what I was doing/thinking. and I put a stupid joke into the prompt because there was plenty of room.

I still haven't gotten the hang of GIMP. I know there was a thread about it somewhere, but it works for quick things. Never can quite get stuff how I want, but that's user error(I can't get stuff much closer with PS). Photoshop runs awesome on linux though.

I liked this system i saw in a video once that had a big rear end case with two mobos and it ran two seperate computers. that's a crazy idea that I like. If I had that I'd have way too much fun with a couple monitors and use ssh to control the second computer or dual screen one and run the other headless. there's too much fun to have with how linux can connect. it'd be interesting to build one as a headless server, add media to it, set all local servers to run on it and pipe to it(I did this with a chat server and an irc client to have steam chat run in a terminal so that if I wasn't running steam I'd still have chat going(before their chat app for phone) and it was a cool way to catch convo/invites from friends while I was doing stuff), and generally delegate background stuff to the other computer. might be a bit weird, but I suppose ethernet cable from one to the other mobo and setting up an in case intranet would work.

welllllllllll, i've been thinking a bit while drinking more. last(supposed) pint of the night is running pretty low. Anyone got any fun bits of stuff to share? like connecting to your computer from phone over the internet and using intranet to connect to a different computer and play super loud music in the bedroom to wake up the partner when you're almost home?

big black turnout

nesamdoom posted:

POPos seems to just want to run stuff with intel even when set to run nvidia

fwiw, this is a big part of why I think people should steer clear of "easy" Linux distributions. In my experience, they make a very narrow slice of use cases easy and any deviation from that is very difficult to actually impossible

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

big black turnout posted:

fwiw, this is a big part of why I think people should steer clear of "easy" Linux distributions. In my experience, they make a very narrow slice of use cases easy and any deviation from that is very difficult to actually impossible

I think that's the thing. Like it refuses to install 390 driver. Prob works for newer builds. I might dig around for an older usb from something and try to install drivers myself
I'm guessing 'gaming' distros would be fine on the new one, which I'm gonna have to go away from parrot for anyways.
Might just say gently caress it and arch it and play some rounds of package fighting and I think I'd probably get my laptop to run. I love arch for being able to do what it's told, even if it takes multiple tries to tell it.

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

welllllllllll, i've been thinking a bit while drinking more. last(supposed) pint of the night is running pretty low. Anyone got any fun bits of stuff to share? like connecting to your computer from phone over the internet and using intranet to connect to a different computer and play super loud music in the bedroom to wake up the partner when you're almost home?

that would be cool… I need to spend some more time getting a custom VM running on azure or aws to run some personal stuff

last I checked, you could get a tiny VM running for $24/yr (yes, that is not a typo) as long as you don’t mind using ipv6

cruft

Hi, I ate a Linux today for lunch.

It was kinda tart.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Was it a limun?

Ohtori Akio
interviewing lately. you know what that means...brushing up on linux

sb hermit

Ohtori Akio posted:

:nice:

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Ohtori Akio posted:

Installs or application?

Ohtori Akio

nesamdoom posted:

Installs or application?

they're sre type jobs. so care, feeding, and supervising group play

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Not sure what sre means, but I get making stuff play well. Good luck with interviewing

Edit:autocorrect changed sre to she so I fixed

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 16, 2024

Ohtori Akio
'site reliability engineer' uhhhhhh person who can code, knows what a cache is, and doesnt cry when the product is down. usually

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ohtori Akio posted:

'site reliability engineer' uhhhhhh person who can code, knows what a cache is, and doesnt cry when the product is down. usually

Ah, the person who gets a call at 3am to go fix poo poo that someone else caused. I've been on that role before. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often to you.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Ohtori Akio

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, the person who gets a call at 3am to go fix poo poo that someone else caused. I've been on that role before. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often to you.

i am happy to get the call as long as the relevant team also gets the call......that is when i show my Virtue and secure my bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Just ordered a computer with a 5600 and a 6700 for CPU and GPU. Am gonna need to get the VGA Adapter or a new monitor. Maybe both. Enough ram for Linux to barely care about and the stuff is new enough it should be supported better.
Hoping I can get a good Linux install and not bother with win11 for games.
Going to need a new drive, so that'll be on hold until I cash back up, don't wanna steal an SSD from my laptop.
The good extra news is I won't need to use windows on laptop now so I can let it sit in its happy place when my kid isn't using it and I can spend more time trying to work out kinks to get drivers to work on it.