Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Bright Bart posted:

I liked having Linux despite the odd little quirks that bothered me a tiny bit. Such as how no distro I've used or even played around with can have Bluetooth stay turned off after you reboot. Or that eventually all Linux machines crash permanently and you have to reinstall the whole OS.

Now what prevents me from going back is that I have a nice notebook and it has a Windows key. How can I use Linux if the key is there?

It's easy it is there to remind you why you switched lol

Also most distros use it as the menu key so it even works the same :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

paging jeff k to the thread

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

in 2002 or so I got this lil' guy from a computer store so yeah I guess you could say I use Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9kQ24z3cgk

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

the line i didn't get in there says "a pc is a terrible thing to waste"

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

more falafel please posted:

in 2002 or so I got this lil' guy from a computer store so yeah I guess you could say I use Linux

powerful artifact

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Mint w/ Cinnamon was my first distro so it's very nostalgic for me despite only using less than a year ago

It was my second, but it's such a good combo. I've got a usb somewhere with whatever version was current 3-4 years ago when I stopped fixing old laptops for people.

Anyone here into Puppy? I always liked that I could keep a cd around and pop it into stuff and boot right up to a snappy little system.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
CatBlack

hello world

Farecoal posted:

What if BYOB but YOSPOS

Yesss, the yospos theme hurts my eyeballs

barnold posted:

anyone following the LTT linux saga? i fear even the mention of his name is absolutely haram but i've been sort of interested at how much it seems to have engaged the larger Linux-based community

Yes unfortunately. Linus is bitch made and completely sucks at learning computers but that Pop OS steam bug was pretty embarrassing.

Bad Video Games

nesamdoom posted:

It was my second, but it's such a good combo. I've got a usb somewhere with whatever version was current 3-4 years ago when I stopped fixing old laptops for people.

Anyone here into Puppy? I always liked that I could keep a cd around and pop it into stuff and boot right up to a snappy little system.

I haven't used Linux or a desktop in almost 10 years, but one of the early builds of Puppy was one of the first distros I put any real time into. I switched us over to Linux when my wife infected our computer with a bunch of malware and it stayed that way for about 5 years.

Now we both just screw around on our phones and Windows is fine on my Surface since I'm the only user.

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

CatBlack posted:

Yes unfortunately. Linus is bitch made and completely sucks at learning computers but that Pop OS steam bug was pretty embarrassing.

watching Linus' approach to each task in comparison to his friend there is excruciatingly painful. car crash in slow motion.

then again, I also laughed at dudeguy not even bothering to open the font folder to look at the files themselves before attempting to install them, and thereby completely ignoring the name of the font. maybe it's just me but the first thing I would think of would be to open the .otf or .ttf file directly, not just blindly copy a folder into a system directory with root without checking its contents :laffo:

cruft

Hi, I'm currently trying to recover data from a cephfs where the max inode counter was reset to 0 and then somebody wrote a bunch of files to it. It's month 18 of this recovery effort.

AMA.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

more falafel please posted:

nice

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

Hi, I'm currently trying to recover data from a cephfs where the max inode counter was reset to 0 and then somebody wrote a bunch of files to it. It's month 18 of this recovery effort.

AMA.

what’s cephfs and max inode counter

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

AMA.

Is rope very expensive or are you lazy?

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
cruft

Yuu Morisawa posted:

If you've ever felt like you needed a filesystem that lived on 18 machines and 329 disks, cephfs is for you!

An inode is like an index entry for a file. It tells the filesystem where the file lives on the disk (which is frequently lots of different places) and who owns it and a bunch of other stuff. If you reset the max counter to 0, then suddenly your filesystem starts blowing away entries that point to files when you write new files. This makes things cranky.

nesamdoom posted:

Is rope very expensive or are you lazy?

I'm gonna go with both!

biosterous

cruft posted:

AMA.

can you $ cowsay a dragon

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

If you've ever felt like you needed a filesystem that lived on 18 machines and 329 disks, cephfs is for you!

An inode is like an index entry for a file. It tells the filesystem where the file lives on the disk (which is frequently lots of different places) and who owns it and a bunch of other stuff. If you reset the max counter to 0, then suddenly your filesystem starts blowing away entries that point to files when you write new files. This makes things cranky.

I'm gonna go with both!

I had a weird setup with one or two drives from 5 computers mounted by sftp on my main laptop, it someone worked way better than I expected(although I had fucklots of trouble with samba and ftp on windows) 18 machines and hundreds of disks sounds like a gently caress show that I'd probably enjoy if I was doing it just for myself. ClusterSSH btw is a great program for ppl that have stupid home networks of a bunch of machines.

as far as the rope comment, I've def had moments where the poo poo I was looking at hurt so bad I couldn't decide between the side of a building or a nap. life has been way less stressful without fixing other people's computer problems, less money/bar tickets(60 buck in bar tickets for an hour of work is my favourite payday ever)/suppers tho.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

biosterous posted:

can you $ cowsay a dragon

I have a customed cowsay in some of my rc files so when I open a terminal I know which ones loaded. it's one of my fave commands that aren't needed at all. sl is great because it's fun to see a steam engine tell me i hosed up, normally i only type l which is set for the prefered settings for ls... lolcat though, oh boy is it fun using when people watch me work on their stuff... it's always great to just pipe everything into lolcat when people are watching and sometimes they think the system is totally hosed. I can't remember the thing I used to have that would print text from a file character per character for each key press but it was fun to load a text file that way and hammer away at keys and look like i was writing some poo poo crazy fast and most people would just assume I could write code faster than I could type english.

Farecoal

There he go

Yuu Morisawa posted:

cephfs my balls

cruft

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Not much, dog, what's cephfs and max inode counter with you

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Not much, dog, what's cephfs and max inode counter with you

FFS, I haven't lost my breathe laughing in months, but ya loving got me. GG, I'm gonna take shot and go back to bed.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

FFS, I haven't lost my breathe laughing in months, but ya loving got me. GG, I'm gonna take shot and go back to bed.

Further proof that if you keep repeating the same stupid busted-rear end joke enough times, eventually you'll tell it to somebody who's never heard it before!

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/computarfunnys/comic-39.htm

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Trollipop

hippin and hoppin
i been running mint with cinnamon on a live boot sometimes

cruft

Trollipop posted:

i been running mint with cinnamon on a live boot sometimes

I've been running cilantro with cedar bark on a dead boat sometimes

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
linux loving sucks! it runs like loving poo poo! flush it down the toilet and get rid of it! if you run windows, then you are in luck. don't install linux, cuz linux loving sucks!

linus torvalds linus torvalds linus torvalds SUCK MY rear end
windows windows windows windows windows windows RULES THE WORLD
linus torvalds linus torvalds linus torvalds SUCK MY rear end
windows windows windows windows windows windows RULES THE WORLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck-hb-gj5jE

Bad Video Games

It's like it's 2001 again.

more falafel please

forums poster

Micro$uck WinBl0ws

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Further proof that if you keep repeating the same stupid busted-rear end joke enough times, eventually you'll tell it to somebody who's never heard it before!

Or just catch someone at the perfect time for it to hit just right

cruft posted:

I've been running cilantro with cedar bark on a dead boat sometimes

the scent that my brain tried to give me from reading this makes me really wanna sniff some cedar/cilantro.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Ok, so I don't wanna hijack this thread and get whatever the BYOB version of TSA is to come inspect my av's nutsac(I'll never tell you which square it is), but I was thinking and there are a [calculating lot/load] shitload of people that don't know much bout the tux. I have years as I know others here do and I've been to the linux side of reddit where it's mostly ppl that are dicks to everyone kuz they grinded hours of docs, wikis, and manpages to figure out how to make poo poo work. I'm not a fan of that, I kept getting told to check Arch Wiki on install and I actually didn't find a clear path, but I took a couple different things on installing and realised which both had parts wrong and got it to work. Arch is a kinda pain until one has done it enough to not forget steps(one missed can start the whole thing over).

But, to get to my point, I think it'd be nice to have the thread go in a way that can promote usage(from the chillest perspectives on the inet) and so I'm posting/bumping for the purpose of maybe getting some people interested(maybe save 200 buck on next pc or don't pirate) or hoping to not have less techy people avoid the discussion.

That all said, I'd really like to know some other people's first package installs on a system or their first modifications.
One my first things I do is add rofi and set it to LAlt+C because it's crazy nice in the middle of anything to flick my thumb over and my finger down to pop up a (I use rofi combo for this hotkey) list of open/recent stuff or be able to type any app and have it open.?
CAPS is pointless to me so I rebind the CAPSLK key to control and set left control as a mod key. With win/super key on the left of most boards I use all three as mod keys. so ctrl+c launches something, win/super+c launches something, and LAlt+c launches something. It's way easier to do this in Linux than Windows and I had to buy a program just to do what rofi does for free and it doesn't even do it as well, but does actually have some cool alias and text replacement stuff(Breevy, prob the best windows software I've ever paid for).
Kinda went over Zsh/Oh-My-Zsh and that's not really much for a newer person to worry about, but isn't complicated and can be an easy into to git installs.
For anyone worried about gaming, really Linux is better. The games that are natively written will run better on tux. Nvidia was super cunty for a long time and it seems like they didn't want anyone on linux to use their poo poo. They still don't try kuz it doesn't make them money. Installing and setting up poo poo can be a bitch, especially on a laptop kuz then you need like bumblebee and poo poo kuz companies don't make linux firmware. Huge upside, people put time and effort into doing it so that other people can use their poo poo without billionares having to spend money. The basal premise of GNU/Linux... I get it, you wrote a bunch of poo poo that didnt work until Linus made it and Linus + Unix = Linux... Let's not forget that ppl worked hard on making computers unchained to megacorps.

I'm off track. Still, I don't wanna gently caress up the cool vibe in the thread. I just think we as yobbers could help get ppl into something better. I got pms also if anyone would rather directly hit me with questions, but I'm sure the thread has better answers than me.
Frohliche Weihnachten

doritto

Just started using Linux again, I'm on Arch + i3 and it is making me never want to use windows again ever.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

doritto posted:

Just started using Linux again, I'm on Arch + i3 and it is making me never want to use windows again ever.

ooof... yum.... Arch I3 is like absolutely perfect for me. I hate bloat, waste, mouse, and anything keeping me from just doing what I want right away. Do you use anything life flux? I think it helps for the non keyboard poo poo even tho I want everything tiled almost all the time but it seemed easier to use for random stuff. flux and i3 on arch booted to like 54 MB RAM and I loved having that set up on this computer before i switched to using it on a diff one and started using Parrot on here. Arch with 16GB RAM and a quadcore is kinda like racing a toddler.
I had my fan break on my laptop and Windows runs at like 70C base but even the extras on linux that i'm using it's like in the 50s so I've been enjoying how comfy it is to not use a mouse for everything and lol, my old install is way more stable than win7 since their last big 'update' that I think was meant to brick things.

lol, seems like a personal question but what is your partitioning set up?

Bargearse

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
still running Windows on my main desktop because my job involves supporting a lot of stupid Microsoft poo poo, but I’m running EndeavourOS on my laptop, it’s basically Arch with most of the hard work done for you

doritto

nesamdoom posted:

ooof... yum.... Arch I3 is like absolutely perfect for me. I hate bloat, waste, mouse, and anything keeping me from just doing what I want right away. Do you use anything life flux? I think it helps for the non keyboard poo poo even tho I want everything tiled almost all the time but it seemed easier to use for random stuff. flux and i3 on arch booted to like 54 MB RAM and I loved having that set up on this computer before i switched to using it on a diff one and started using Parrot on here. Arch with 16GB RAM and a quadcore is kinda like racing a toddler.
I had my fan break on my laptop and Windows runs at like 70C base but even the extras on linux that i'm using it's like in the 50s so I've been enjoying how comfy it is to not use a mouse for everything and lol, my old install is way more stable than win7 since their last big 'update' that I think was meant to brick things.

lol, seems like a personal question but what is your partitioning set up?

yeah i am really enjoying having full control of p much everything about my computer, setting up keybinds to open my web browser and shell scripts and poo poo, feel like the ultimate hacker man because i also recently got montior arms and set my monitors up vertically instead of sideways. it saves a whole lot of space on my tiny desk but also kinda makes me go matrix mode.
my partitioning setup is p basic. i've got the majority of my main nvme drive for my root, about 24 gigs of swap and a gig for my boot, got some other drives in my fstab but i recently formatted my last ntfs partition to ext4. still got a laptop with windows on it tho

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

doritto posted:

yeah i am really enjoying having full control of p much everything about my computer, setting up keybinds to open my web browser and shell scripts and poo poo, feel like the ultimate hacker man because i also recently got montior arms and set my monitors up vertically instead of sideways. it saves a whole lot of space on my tiny desk but also kinda makes me go matrix mode.
my partitioning setup is p basic. i've got the majority of my main nvme drive for my root, about 24 gigs of swap and a gig for my boot, got some other drives in my fstab but i recently formatted my last ntfs partition to ext4. still got a laptop with windows on it tho

I can't remember if swap is really important anymore with decent amount of ram. I got 16GB in my laptop and I am using 151MB of my swap. I wanna get another monitor for vertical. I've been looking for a cheap low res ultrawide. But everything seems to be focused on gaming and I can't find anything that makes sense just for a really tall vertical that only needs enough res to have a terminal running.

Bargearse posted:

still running Windows on my main desktop because my job involves supporting a lot of stupid Microsoft poo poo, but I’m running EndeavourOS on my laptop, it’s basically Arch with most of the hard work done for you

I like the sound of EndeavourOS. I remember liking Manjaro a lot for how skipping the Arch installation was nice and it was a well put together system from the start.
Grabbing an ISO and gonna load up a vm and see how it feels. I got a couple old computers that have been ignored for the last couple years I need to update and set back up as media servers and I might go with Endeavour instead of Debian if it works nicer. Otherwise since I run them headless I'll prob just Arch them and just get ssh, ftp, and samba set up then give up on loving with them.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

installing Endeavour in Vbox right now. I remember there was supposed to be a friendly Arch installer that never worked for me, but this seems to be generally what that was supposed to be, maybe with a bit more personal flare from the dev. I'm doing offline kuz xfce is nice and this is just a test run to play with the OS.

I really wish I'd have dumped the 3k into building the computer I wanted years back. Big server cpu, dumb loads of ram, masive storage drives, usb pci cards, and cheap gpus with multiple outputs. I wanted a big box that I could set up multiple vms to run and basically set myself a bank of things and just let ppl do whatever.

Addition: I'm not totally sure. I guess it's been awhile since i did a new install and i didn't load up my script to install my basic needs. Not bad overall but it's pretty bare for still using around half a GB ram... Doesn't come with htop is a weird thing I noticed. Not a huge thing, but just seemed odd when I tried htop and was told it wasn't installed. i'm also currently on a laptop with no fan so i got it limited in cpu freq and so i'd prob have been better grabbing a diff one and booting a usb rather than a vbox here. but this is def a very easy way to get a pretty minimal arch install without hassle. I'd prob stick with manjaro just for the preinstalled darkness haha. Do wanna set up a usb and throw this at a physical computer though. get everything set and then set it to headless. I think it'll be better than debian for what I need and save me time on arch installs.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 26, 2021

doritto

nesamdoom posted:

I can't remember if swap is really important anymore with decent amount of ram. I got 16GB in my laptop and I am using 151MB of my swap. I wanna get another monitor for vertical. I've been looking for a cheap low res ultrawide. But everything seems to be focused on gaming and I can't find anything that makes sense just for a really tall vertical that only needs enough res to have a terminal running.

Yeah only reason i added the swap is because I was having an issue where whenever my monitors would sleep they wouldn't wake back up, I could have fixed it with some other tweaks I did but ever since I switched to this setup its been working great. An ultrawide would be so nice, I've got two 27" 1440p monitors which I bought for a pretty decent deal on black friday.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

doritto posted:

Yeah only reason i added the swap is because I was having an issue where whenever my monitors would sleep they wouldn't wake back up, I could have fixed it with some other tweaks I did but ever since I switched to this setup its been working great. An ultrawide would be so nice, I've got two 27" 1440p monitors which I bought for a pretty decent deal on black friday.

I pretty much keep swap just kuz it really isn't much space anyways and if the system wants to use it then cool, otherwise oh well I wasn't a sliver of my drive. It prob gets used more on the other computers but I never worry bout anything on them as long as they keep booting and I can connect through the router.
I don't mind a 19inch 1080 for a second screen that's pretty much always playing some video, used to use a 32inch tv also just to be able to go sit on the couch and watch stuff. honestly it might be cheaper to get a VR setup and use virtual monitors rather than actually buy them/

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Bright Bart posted:

I liked having Linux despite the odd little quirks that bothered me a tiny bit. Such as how no distro I've used or even played around with can have Bluetooth stay turned off after you reboot. Or that eventually all Linux machines crash permanently and you have to reinstall the whole OS.

Now what prevents me from going back is that I have a nice notebook and it has a Windows key. How can I use Linux if the key is there?

Lol, Scrape the useless symbol off.
Also, there's a cool trick I learned awhile ago to
code:
grep sagi .zsh_history
sagi=sudo apt-get install but I forget how to not have the numbers, it's a sed thing maybe to delete the string or an option I forgot how to set in my history file, but I'll pipe that all to an install.sh and roll through it once to clear the stuff I don't care about and then fresh install and run the script then gently caress off while my new install downloads everything I like(I also never format my home folder so all the configs stay in place). the only pain is the configs in system folders but I copy all them before the install so that all my server stuff and random settings can be popped back into place with a small script. Way better than running shitloads of installers in windows everytime I reinstall that. I have my linux reinstall mostly automated so I don't worry much if things go wonky.

Bargearse

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I don’t bother with swap myself, it works out to 32GB wasted. That said Windows wastes almost 32GB just doing nothing, like, they retained 32-bit compatibility by just shoving an entire second OS in there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Anyone else get used to TWMs and vim so much that it is annoying to use a mouse?