Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I haven't used desktop Linux in years. All that UEFI and trusted computing bullshit and Windows 10 constantly replacing the OS selection menu are solved issues these days? Or did it get worse? And what's the go to for people with not too much time to tinker with drivers and configs? Manjaro? Mint?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

nesamdoom posted:

I bailed that safe boot off everything I've gotten with it

I'm not sure if that's an option for most computers out there. I'll look into it.

Dr. Honked posted:

i touched a linux today

Jesus... make sure you wash your hands thoroughly.

Saoshyant

Ohtori Akio posted:

op i'm a big fan of linux but, sadly, love gaming even more. so linux is just for work right now

Friend, the Proton project has changed everything. Nearly everything you'd play on Windows now runs on Linux. Valve even released a Linux handheld console (the Steam Deck) to great success.

Saoshyant

Ghouls are Ghastly posted:

hello Linux thread I have this steam OS thing going on for my steam deck and apparently it's great for emulator games from the past but now I'm wondering what games or programs I could try to make work or if there even is a limit at all given there is a guy who made diablo 2 run on that and also there was this guy who played doom on a pregnancy test and

It's a whole computer with a full OS in there. You can connect a keyboard+mouse and use it as a small "laptop".

There is no specific limit to older games that can run on the thing either. Find one you want to give a go and check online if it's compatible. The Wine/Proton layer that deals with Windows software compatibility is pretty good these days.

Saoshyant

knuthgrush posted:

I'm on the slippery slope, friends!

Oh no! Is there a cure? :ohdear:

Never met RMS in person, but did exchange some emails back in 2006 when I was worried FSF wasn't doing poo poo squat to promote free formats (video/audio/etc). His reply to me was "well, why don't you do something?"

And I did and joined Xiph for a few years and helped around with whatever I could. Then the FSF launched a PlayOgg campaign but the guy directing it refused to work with me for some reason? Short sighted people as usual.

Anyway, as you can see from AV1 and Opus having taken over the world (aaaaaany day now), my work there was done and thus I had to go back to my planet.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 12, 2023

Saoshyant

Good ol' Vorbis has been outdated for like a decade and replaced by the amazing Opus. It's used in a bunch of VoIP software, games, and Youtube.

FLAC, in spite of its popularity and stability, continues not to be supported by the likes of Apple, which is extremely frustrating in an era when storage is finally cheap.

Saoshyant

cruft posted:

Well, barbecue my ham hocks! I'm gonna have to look into that! I kinda doubt my daughter's car will support it though.

If it's Android-based, it might. Google has been a big proponent of free formats, thankfully. They created the WebM standard, first with VP8 and Vorbis, then VP9 and Opus, and are presently migrating all video to to the next-gen AV1 (while keeping Opus).

your friend sk posted:

win11 installed a bunch of bloatware that i can't uninstall so i might be back to linux soon

"It's not your computer," is their motto. Prove them wrong.

Saoshyant

knuthgrush posted:

Speaking of, anybody have a steam deck? I've been considering one.

Me. Best game thing I've bought in like two or three years. If you have a big Steam library and a back problem and don't want to play PC games sitting anymore, then you are me, and the Deck was made for you.

Plus, it's a cute small Linux PC you can dock to any screen if you need an extra one for some reason (e.g traveling).

Saoshyant

knuthgrush posted:

How's the fan noise and battery life? Is it something I'd want on an airplane?

Fan is noticeable occasionally, depending on the game. Battery life is 3 hours or so of playing. And sure, would be a cool thing to pass the time on an airplane, but I'd recommend getting a proper case and not much hand luggage 'cause it ain't small like a Nintendo DS.

Saoshyant

Size comparison:

It's surprisingly light in spite of its size. I can hold it with one hand while replying on the phone to something then get back to gaming, for instance.

Saoshyant

Yeah, Valve's work (and money) is really appreciated. They have done a lot for one of the big, final obstacles in Linux Desktop... gaming.

Multiple screens, laptop suspending, and font rendering still need to be worked on seriously, though.

Saoshyant

cruft posted:

My work laptop arrived. It has Windows. :cripes:

Install Linux, problem solved!

Saoshyant

Hackerman??

:mods:

Saoshyant

oatmealraisin posted:

everyone is using cursive fonts now

They are what :psyduck:

Saoshyant

emSparkly posted:

I always wanted to try Linux From Scratch but the only computer I have that I could try a hobby project like that on is this old Pentium 4 box and it would probably take forever. Should I do it anyway?

Of course, sounds like it would be a good learning experience if that's what you are looking for.

Saoshyant

Here's a possible solution to stop having Windows screw up your bootloaders while keeping an installation around if you need one: virtual machines. They work just as good as the real thing these days.

Saoshyant

oatmealraisin posted:

No no don't help me, lest I fall into dwarven depravity. It's for the best

Hey, hey kid, have you heard about Proton? Did you know if you install Proton the dwarves will work issue-free and then you have to play with them FOREVER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

Ohtori Akio posted:

'site reliability engineer' uhhhhhh person who can code, knows what a cache is, and doesnt cry when the product is down. usually

Ah, the person who gets a call at 3am to go fix poo poo that someone else caused. I've been on that role before. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often to you.