Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doritto

Just started using Linux again, I'm on Arch + i3 and it is making me never want to use windows again ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doritto

nesamdoom posted:

ooof... yum.... Arch I3 is like absolutely perfect for me. I hate bloat, waste, mouse, and anything keeping me from just doing what I want right away. Do you use anything life flux? I think it helps for the non keyboard poo poo even tho I want everything tiled almost all the time but it seemed easier to use for random stuff. flux and i3 on arch booted to like 54 MB RAM and I loved having that set up on this computer before i switched to using it on a diff one and started using Parrot on here. Arch with 16GB RAM and a quadcore is kinda like racing a toddler.
I had my fan break on my laptop and Windows runs at like 70C base but even the extras on linux that i'm using it's like in the 50s so I've been enjoying how comfy it is to not use a mouse for everything and lol, my old install is way more stable than win7 since their last big 'update' that I think was meant to brick things.

lol, seems like a personal question but what is your partitioning set up?

yeah i am really enjoying having full control of p much everything about my computer, setting up keybinds to open my web browser and shell scripts and poo poo, feel like the ultimate hacker man because i also recently got montior arms and set my monitors up vertically instead of sideways. it saves a whole lot of space on my tiny desk but also kinda makes me go matrix mode.
my partitioning setup is p basic. i've got the majority of my main nvme drive for my root, about 24 gigs of swap and a gig for my boot, got some other drives in my fstab but i recently formatted my last ntfs partition to ext4. still got a laptop with windows on it tho

doritto

nesamdoom posted:

I can't remember if swap is really important anymore with decent amount of ram. I got 16GB in my laptop and I am using 151MB of my swap. I wanna get another monitor for vertical. I've been looking for a cheap low res ultrawide. But everything seems to be focused on gaming and I can't find anything that makes sense just for a really tall vertical that only needs enough res to have a terminal running.

Yeah only reason i added the swap is because I was having an issue where whenever my monitors would sleep they wouldn't wake back up, I could have fixed it with some other tweaks I did but ever since I switched to this setup its been working great. An ultrawide would be so nice, I've got two 27" 1440p monitors which I bought for a pretty decent deal on black friday.