Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
hello postin' pals

does anyone else here use linux

if so, feel free to post about it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

I've had it on most my computers for about 8 years. Very different distros. I love Arch, but run ParrotSec on my main laptop(gaming, tech support, and general needs). Got Debian servers set up on old desktops for network devices and basically love having control of everything from anywhere in the house through ssh. It's nice getting tired and pushing a command to start a movie in the bedroom and hit the bathroom on the way to miss the titles then crash and watch it.

What ya'll rocking shellwise? I'm fully sold on Zsh and Oh-My-Zsh.

very cool

I'm just using bash atm but I think I'll try Oh-My-Zsh out

your friend sk posted:

i'm excited for the day when games all run on linux :(

Hopefully the Steam Deck will help achieve that somewhat

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
Wow lots of posts

Mummy Napkin posted:

i've been on Manjaro for a few years now and i don't really have muuch computing to do so it works well for my needs.

i randomly found an opensuse hat at a salvation army in ohio somewhere when i was visiting. i like the lizard

I use Arch (w/ KDE) btw

also I too like the lizard

Farecoal posted:

2022 will be the year of Linux on the desktop :ins:

cruft posted:

What even is a Loonix

Wikipedia posted:

Linux (/ˈlinʊks/ (About this soundlisten) LEEN-uuks or /ˈlɪnʊks/ LIN-uuks[11]) is a family of open-source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel,[12] an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds.[13][14][15] Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
https://bashrcgenerator.com

I discovered this site and added some colors to my bash prompt

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Farecoal posted:

What if BYOB but YOSPOS

:thunk:

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

NumptyScrub posted:

My OS is a POS (my gaming machine runs Windows :v: )

I hope for a world without a need for Winblows

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

alnilam posted:

Dors anyone else here like Linux Mint, i have run the cinnamon version for years, I changed when Ubuntu got a little too mac-like for me; it's possible it got better since but i haven't bothered to check cause I'm happy enough with mint

Mint w/ Cinnamon was my first distro so it's very nostalgic for me despite only using less than a year ago

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

more falafel please posted:

in 2002 or so I got this lil' guy from a computer store so yeah I guess you could say I use Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9kQ24z3cgk

nice

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

Hi, I'm currently trying to recover data from a cephfs where the max inode counter was reset to 0 and then somebody wrote a bunch of files to it. It's month 18 of this recovery effort.

AMA.

what’s cephfs and max inode counter

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I forgot to post my screenshots in here lmao

I’ll do that when I get home

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Here's what my desktop looks like at the moment

ZENBU

I should post my neofetch in the morning

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
2022 will be the year of Linux on the desktop

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

Here's mine:

I guess I got a little deep into Plan 9.

lmao

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

I haven't used my bedroom laptop for movies in a few years because the last couple places I've lived I just had my desk setup in the bedroom out of convenience and didn't need a second one. I booted it and something is hosed in the boot and I really don't feel like fixing it so I'm gonna reinstall something. probably arch since that's what I was running before and with vlc and a bare system it does it's job playing movies and lets me control it from externals.

Anyways, I don't wanna mess with my main system since I already need to do a fresh install on it sometime but keep putting it off, but I wanna try out Evilwm and figured I'd ask if anyone has used it before. Arch is nice for testing out diff combos of stuff so i think i'll use that on the older lappy that i normally would run i3 on(i'll still put i3, xfce, and flux on it just because they are great to have and take so little space).

and if noone has experience with it then I guess I'll drop a link and anyone into minimal setups might be interested in this https://www.maketecheasier.com/evilwm-a-devilishly-simple-window-manager-for-linux/
I think the only downside would be launching everything from terminal, which can be easy with & but I'd never give up on rofi being my goto for starting anything, so it wouldn't matter. a drop down terminal also would be a nice way to go for launching since it would leave the screen clear of anything not being ran. I generally avoid tabbing a terminal or using tmux other than on remote hosts so i can switch devices and keep working on the session.

cruft posted:

If you're in the market for minimalist window managers, may i suggest 9wm, maintained by yours truly!

Guaranteed to piss off anybody else who tries t use your computer.

Thanks for the info frens

I love learning about new WMs/DEs I've never heard of

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
doas pacman -S bitches

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
oof haven't posted in a while

I installed 5.18

yay

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

How is Plasma? -I haven't ever tried it but I've seen it look nice.
Any benefit to Yakuake over Guake? -Not sure if it's just a small preference thing or if there are bonus features.

Plasma is one of only 2 DEs I enjoy using (the other being Cinnamon).

I guess it’s due to the default configuration being similar to the Windows shell and the fact that I still use Winblows regularly (because Wine can’t run everything perfectly) so it’s easy for me to switch between the two interfaces.

Also I actually prefer Guake over Yakuake (it’s more user friendly and has better themes) and the only reason I’m not using it atm is due to a Plasma update that causes the terminal to not properly fill-in the width of the screen entirely every time it pops down (this doesn’t happen in Cinnamon, I’ve tested it)

Until this stops happening I’ll just use Yakuake

Yuu Morisawa fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 31, 2022

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Chewbecca posted:

Idk what any of the words itt mean, so can you go ahead and replace them with entirely different words for me tia

what if computer but not windows or mac

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
yeah kde connect is quite useful

I use it to unlock my PC without having to type my password over and over

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I’m sure I mentioned it before but I use KDE Plasma

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

I'm the current maintainer of 9wm.

I don't use it, though.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/9wm

:eyepop:

I think I'll check it out

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

It's a real pain in the rear end, and won't make sense. Kinda like the first time you ran vi or ed.

I recommend watching a YouTube video first.

I tried searching for a video but couldn't find any lmao

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
also I started using Syncthing last month and I've installed it on everything, including my Android phone

very cool and useful program for syncing files, would recommend to everyone

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

What terminal emulators and shells y'all running?

I've got a few for different stuff. I use Guake/BASH with Su so that I don't run boss mode poo poo on accident. I have Terminator/Zsh(with oh-my-zsh) for my main because I love my customized greys/whites/reds on a black background for typing(took alil work to make vim work pretty with it).

I use Guake/Yakuake and bash

I’ve been considering trying zsh lately

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I switched to NsCDE (FVWM-based CDE clone) on one of my machines recently and I think it's pretty cool

https://github.com/NsCDE/NsCDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ON8FF7aiM

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
https://github.com/NsCDE/NsCDE/releases/tag/2.3

gently caress yeah

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

My work laptop arrived. It has Windows. :cripes:

gross

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
wooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
Haven’t posted in a while due to chronic illness :c

Has anyone here tried *BSD?

I tried to use FreeBSD but X11 wouldn’t start on one PC and I couldn’t get the Wifi card working on another one so I just gave up.