Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

This reminds me of the time I read a post on the amateur radio version of stack exchange, where someone was like "boy I'd really like to know what frequency the army used in morse code training in the 1940s", so I did a bunch of research, found some recordings, pitch-matched the frequency to within 1 cent, and posted a reply... then got rejected because I didn't have enough reputation points. So I posted it as an answer, and some admin chewed my rear end because I didn't post a reply. I said "I tried but I don't have enough reputation" and then they chewed my rear end with instructions on how to answer a bunch of other poo poo I had no interest in, in order to build enough reputation to post the FOUR-FREAKING-DIGIT FREQUENCY in the right place.

So I just deleted the answer.

MAN I AM SALTY ABOUT THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW!

I have created a few Gentoo packages when I was doing sysadmin work at a research lab (back in the early 2000s when recompiling everything made sense) and I already knew that I didn't want to bother with joining the community to submit them. So I gave them to a co-worker that e-mailed them to someone to "own" the packages although they mentioned my name in the documentation. Which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Anyways, hugo looks like fun so I'll probably try it out. I also want to try svelte, which was highly recommended to me by some UI people, because it's much less heavyweight than the modern web frameworks like react and angular.

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

I'm not drunk enough for this poo poo.

:cheersbird:

if I'm working on my personal computers, I'm not typing sudo without a drink in my hand

sb hermit

Snuff Melange posted:

It's hard for me to imagine my fellow BYOB posters using any kind of serious distro, so upon finding this thread for the first time I choose to believe you're all on Hannah Montana Linux.

I mean, ubuntu is not considered a serious distro in yospos so…

sb hermit

raspberry pi linux for x86 is actually pretty decent

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

Do you ever want a roguelike os?
https://qntm.org/suicide

I think one time I wrote about one or two megabytes to the start of a disk that was a member of a raid and had to immediately mark said disk as defective and pull it out of service. That's what I get for not double-checking my commands. And my annoying habit of blanking out every temporary use USB stick.

sb hermit

Also, in maybe more relevant history, there used to be a way to use a text adventure style interface to do kernel build configuration.

https://lwn.net/2001/0621/a/kernel-adventure.php3

Also, there used to be a game called "psdoom" which was doom, but all the monsters were assigned process IDs. You could renice a process to be slower by shooting the monster. Killing the monster would kill the process:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050414134315/http://www.crazy-hacks.org/wiki/PsDooM

sb hermit

with all these computers and their multiple cores, it may just go unnoticed by a lot of people unless they're running applications that are unable to take advantage of multiple cores in the first place

they may find it a bit slower and the computer a bit quieter

sb hermit

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Haven’t posted in a while due to chronic illness :c

Has anyone here tried *BSD?

I tried to use FreeBSD but X11 wouldn’t start on one PC and I couldn’t get the Wifi card working on another one so I just gave up.

I should, but I haven’t.

May put NetBSD on a couple of exotic or archaic (or both!) devices

sb hermit

alexandriao posted:

I had a look at the official windows themes supported by Chicago95 yesterday and it made me long for a absolutely terrible and garish BYOB theme

very 90s, I approve

sb hermit

dune ii was a dos game, though

It’s a very good game! One of the first modern RTS games with an incredible soundtrack and solid gameplay.

sb hermit

I got into Linux in the late 90s and it was standard practice to compile and install a new kernel that was tuned to your hardware because hardware compatibility was a big issue in early Linux. You also had to tweak your X Windows config if you wanted any resolution higher than, like, 640x480 or so.

Nevertheless, it was really cool for me. A free C and C++ compiler, immunity from Windows viruses and stuff, and a ton of free and useful software. Still needed to dual boot Windows for games, though.

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

So, one drive is kinda hosed. That's good enough excuse to replace 1tb 5400 with a 2tb ssd, right? I adjusted the partition on my ssd and reinstalled to it. Really glad that I regularly backup history file and a separate one of just all the times I install things. So, I got a list to go through to remember little things I might forget to install.
I did manage to get the broken drive to mount but it was being weird so I pulled a bunch of stuff out of the home partition and the main shared one. Going to wait til I have a bigger external and rescue as much of the rest as I can.

took me about 3 minutes to learn that I didn't have rofi installed and had to fix that. now I'm just gonna lounge and install stuff while watching movies. A really weird thing is it came with nvim and that didn't work for everything I have set up, so replaced with vim and happy edits again.

vim :hfive:

sb hermit

cruft posted:

Have you tried FreeBSD? It won't help with any of your problems but I feel the need to jump on this "have you tried" bandwagon.

one day I’m gonna install netbsd and then see ya later nerds!!!

sb hermit

I have had many computers with SSDs that have used just Linux and they’ve done just fine. Haven’t had to install Windows for anything.

Only thing I would suggest is to make sure trim is enabled as a filesystem option if you have an ssd.

sb hermit

baka fwocka fwame posted:

But i love linux unironically

:same:

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

Does amd cpu/gpus play well on linux? I'm guessing cpus do because that's a more common. Just still working on a new computer and figure current stuff will have more compatibility than my old rear end laptop for drivers.
in a toss up with building(which I've not done completely) and a system with intel/nvidia or one with both amd.
worst case I can delete windows of the laptop and run that on the new one just for gaming and linux runs everything else great on here.

I sure hope so! I think the Steam Deck runs on AMD.

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

welllllllllll, i've been thinking a bit while drinking more. last(supposed) pint of the night is running pretty low. Anyone got any fun bits of stuff to share? like connecting to your computer from phone over the internet and using intranet to connect to a different computer and play super loud music in the bedroom to wake up the partner when you're almost home?

that would be cool… I need to spend some more time getting a custom VM running on azure or aws to run some personal stuff

last I checked, you could get a tiny VM running for $24/yr (yes, that is not a typo) as long as you don’t mind using ipv6

sb hermit

Ohtori Akio posted:

interviewing lately. you know what that means...brushing up on linux

:nice:

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

Hoping I can get a good Linux install and not bother with win11 for games.

:same: hopefully I can get a desktop that can do all the latest games at minimum but usable spec

I should be on the lookout for deals and stuff I guess

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

it keeps forgetting the hdds exist though. I'm not sure if it's a flash drive thing or a drive thing. I'm pretty sure they can be on the same power ribbon, so I think it's just breaking something trying to do a bunch of file transfers from an installer.

Do you mean that the hard drives don’t show up while you’re in pop OS?

If they show up in /proc/partitions then maybe you can configure fstab or something to mount them on boot maybe.

Or do you mean that they show up initially, then disappear?

If it’s the latter, then dmesg should tell you why the kernel yanked it out from under you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

nesamdoom posted:

yea, it was the latter. but only in pop. I think it might have been the difference in a cheap usb vs a pretty nice one. I cleaned the 500 anyways and am installing linux on it right now. I'll format the 1tb later.

never checked /proc/partitions, but I'm guessing it should be the sameish of lsblk?

yeah

if it's the latter then look at dmesg but I think a pretty nice usb should fix all your issues