Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mummy Napkin
i've been on Manjaro for a few years now and i don't really have muuch computing to do so it works well for my needs.

i randomly found an opensuse hat at a salvation army in ohio somewhere when i was visiting. i like the lizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mummy Napkin

nesamdoom posted:

Which DE or WM you like for Manjaro? It's how I learned to love i3, but I'd set old laptops up for other people with XFCE so they had an easier transition away from windows. I really always liked how Manjaro felt on some laptop with like 1GB RAM.

My lappy with Arch was booting using 43MB and then I'd launch i3 and get a couple things going and be using so little of the 16GB that I just was amazed at how my windows install on the same thing booted up using over 5. And it bugged me that it would boot slower from the SSD than any Linux distro I've tried would boot from a 5400HDD. Pretty sure my old desktop that came with XP boots current Debian faster off IDE than windows will boot for me.

currently just using the stock Manjaro KDE edition. i messed around with i3-gaps when i first started messing around with minimal debian and arch installs. i got an ssd for my old thinkpad that i use as my regular rear end computer and didn't feel like configuring everything again.

i'm not a computer wiz or anything and kind of got into linux as a fluke because i'm just naturally a contrarian turdhead who didn't want to install windows.

when i get the time and motivation, i think i'm going to go with a minimal arch install again and try dwm or i3 again and actually *learn* computer wizardry

Mummy Napkin
*ahem* sorry we need to rename the title to BYOB GNU/Linux discussion thread

Mummy Napkin

biosterous posted:

what is the third-best version of linux

Fedora

Mummy Napkin
BYOBSD

Mummy Napkin

nesamdoom posted:

I haven't used my bedroom laptop for movies in a few years because the last couple places I've lived I just had my desk setup in the bedroom out of convenience and didn't need a second one. I booted it and something is hosed in the boot and I really don't feel like fixing it so I'm gonna reinstall something. probably arch since that's what I was running before and with vlc and a bare system it does it's job playing movies and lets me control it from externals.

Anyways, I don't wanna mess with my main system since I already need to do a fresh install on it sometime but keep putting it off, but I wanna try out Evilwm and figured I'd ask if anyone has used it before. Arch is nice for testing out diff combos of stuff so i think i'll use that on the older lappy that i normally would run i3 on(i'll still put i3, xfce, and flux on it just because they are great to have and take so little space).

and if noone has experience with it then I guess I'll drop a link and anyone into minimal setups might be interested in this https://www.maketecheasier.com/evilwm-a-devilishly-simple-window-manager-for-linux/
I think the only downside would be launching everything from terminal, which can be easy with & but I'd never give up on rofi being my goto for starting anything, so it wouldn't matter. a drop down terminal also would be a nice way to go for launching since it would leave the screen clear of anything not being ran. I generally avoid tabbing a terminal or using tmux other than on remote hosts so i can switch devices and keep working on the session.

I haven't heard of evilwm. Seems pretty simple and neat.

If anyone needs a lightweight solution to make launching things on a minimal install easier, try out dmenu from the suckless folks.

It has many uses, but the most convenient is being able to pull up a search bar with a keybind and typing in what you want to launch and lettin her rip.

Mummy Napkin
loving apt-get install freedoom

Mummy Napkin
poking my head back in here to say: i still really like linux. it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mummy Napkin
halo mcc multiplayer now working on the deck/linux. linux gaming just keeps getting better and better.