Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

hello postin' pals

does anyone else here use linux

if so, feel free to post about it here

I've had it on most my computers for about 8 years. Very different distros. I love Arch, but run ParrotSec on my main laptop(gaming, tech support, and general needs). Got Debian servers set up on old desktops for network devices and basically love having control of everything from anywhere in the house through ssh. It's nice getting tired and pushing a command to start a movie in the bedroom and hit the bathroom on the way to miss the titles then crash and watch it.

What ya'll rocking shellwise? I'm fully sold on Zsh and Oh-My-Zsh.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

I'm just using bash atm but I think I'll try Oh-My-Zsh out

It's pretty useful with shortcuts and better completion. And it makes it easy to organize stuff for me so I have a collection of rc files for things based on base system and if I'm setting it up for other people or not. My main rc goes back about six years, it's stuffed to the gills with functions and aliases, that's why I have a seperate for if the system is debian or arch base and then I have a fully me one that's only on my systems(it's got shortcuts to ssh/ftp into a bunch of my own stuff) and then the one for other people is mostly just for doing custom shortcuts for them and the main makes it so if I gotta do any work on it in the future I don't have to gently caress around remembering long lines of poo poo that I've already written a function to sort out.

Ha, I spend a lot of time in terminals, big fan of i3 for most things so I don't need a mouse. Terminus on my phone makes ssh into things helpful, like the laptop hooked to my stereo has all my music and I can just pull my phone out and ssh in to a tmux session that has cmus running all the time and play stuff that way.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

NumptyScrub posted:

Big fan of oh my zsh as well lol, the git related info is awesome when you do a lot of repository work :buddy:

Def going through and looking at the various plugins that you can activate is a good first move for people. It's got a lot of cool integrations.

Mummy Napkin posted:

i've been on Manjaro for a few years now and i don't really have muuch computing to do so it works well for my needs.

Which DE or WM you like for Manjaro? It's how I learned to love i3, but I'd set old laptops up for other people with XFCE so they had an easier transition away from windows. I really always liked how Manjaro felt on some laptop with like 1GB RAM.

My lappy with Arch was booting using 43MB and then I'd launch i3 and get a couple things going and be using so little of the 16GB that I just was amazed at how my windows install on the same thing booted up using over 5. And it bugged me that it would boot slower from the SSD than any Linux distro I've tried would boot from a 5400HDD. Pretty sure my old desktop that came with XP boots current Debian faster off IDE than windows will boot for me.

barnold posted:

anroid is linux therefore im ballin :cheersdoge:

I'm a bit sad there isn't a bigger availability to run some straight tux on phone. I'd love to take some old phones and set up ParrotSec and set them around the place to run Wifite and gather. Thought about getting a Pi Zero and putting a weatherproof case on it with a solar charger and set it somewhere just to run a honeypot off a fake wifi that's open, spoof a bunch of main sights and let people dump passwords into it. No reason other than to email them and tell them to stay off open wifi.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

NumptyScrub posted:

Is there nothing on https://forum.xda-developers.com/ that takes your fancy for those devices? I seem to recall at least one person trying to shoehorn Ubuntu onto an older phone a few years back, and some of the custom ROMs may be going in a direction you like the sound of

I have tried some ROMs and a couple i liked but I also hosed my galaxy with them. it'd be nice if a manufacturer would actually work with a distro, but there's no money in it for them. same as game devs that won't make a decent linux version and hope valve/wine/playlinux can get the game to run so they still get paid. Pisses me off that because Microsoft/Sony/Whothefuckever won't pay for an exclusive devs don't give a gently caress. gently caress, I'm enough pissed I spend 100 on a mouse or headset and some random dude is the only way I can even adjust sensitivity because a multi billion dollar company can't pay a dude a few hundred to write the loving code to make it work.

That's really why I like Linux. It's not cunty greedy cunts. People write code because they are amazing and can get poo poo to work, then they give it to other people instead of trying to make money from it. No hate to ppl writing code for a living, but big companies that don't support custormers are dicks.

after all that, I wanna ask. Anyone that uses a tiling window manager and a 60% keyboard? I wanna know a bit about what keyboards other mostly terminal users are rocking and I've gotten pretty set in my mind to switch to a 60 but not sure yet. to be clear, I will use with a laptop with a full board but just wanna have layers so I can avoid my mouse as much as I can whether i'm on a twm setup or not.

Accurate enough I'd buy you a beer if I was saying anything like this in a bar and got called a nerd.

Mummy Napkin posted:

currently just using the stock Manjaro KDE edition. i messed around with i3-gaps when i first started messing around with minimal debian and arch installs. i got an ssd for my old thinkpad that i use as my regular rear end computer and didn't feel like configuring everything again.

i'm not a computer wiz or anything and kind of got into linux as a fluke because i'm just naturally a contrarian turdhead who didn't want to install windows.

when i get the time and motivation, i think i'm going to go with a minimal arch install again and try dwm or i3 again and actually *learn* computer wizardry

I kinda got into it to not have to pirate(which I now do pretty much anything I cant, I'd post something of myself to pirate it if I could) and fix a couple laptops for my nieces kuz they were cheapy and windows really does kinda suck. so then I got into other distros form the ubuntu I set up(still a great opener distro). the upside to arch or even manjaro is that you can mod your xconfig and DE/WM is based from there. I launch arch and do what I need and if needed i'll xstart to pop up GUI. i've not tried doing dwm. I think i3 and maybe its openbox I used with it... been years. pypanel is my fave thing with i3 though, was the best way i ever had to set panel up but it's been years since I ran that set up after moving and not needing a seperate set of things for bedroom and living room.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

barnold posted:

anyone following the LTT linux saga? i fear even the mention of his name is absolutely haram but i've been sort of interested at how much it seems to have engaged the larger Linux-based community

Linus seemed cool as gently caress about really pushing tech/software to limits. but really nvidia can give him 60k worth of gpus to test some stupid idea but they wont pay someone that much to build a driver set. It's not on him that the industry is hosed. He has done his part to bring people over, but big industry will always suppor the dark(windows) side.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Mint w/ Cinnamon was my first distro so it's very nostalgic for me despite only using less than a year ago

It was my second, but it's such a good combo. I've got a usb somewhere with whatever version was current 3-4 years ago when I stopped fixing old laptops for people.

Anyone here into Puppy? I always liked that I could keep a cd around and pop it into stuff and boot right up to a snappy little system.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Hi, I'm currently trying to recover data from a cephfs where the max inode counter was reset to 0 and then somebody wrote a bunch of files to it. It's month 18 of this recovery effort.

AMA.

Is rope very expensive or are you lazy?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

If you've ever felt like you needed a filesystem that lived on 18 machines and 329 disks, cephfs is for you!

An inode is like an index entry for a file. It tells the filesystem where the file lives on the disk (which is frequently lots of different places) and who owns it and a bunch of other stuff. If you reset the max counter to 0, then suddenly your filesystem starts blowing away entries that point to files when you write new files. This makes things cranky.

I'm gonna go with both!

I had a weird setup with one or two drives from 5 computers mounted by sftp on my main laptop, it someone worked way better than I expected(although I had fucklots of trouble with samba and ftp on windows) 18 machines and hundreds of disks sounds like a gently caress show that I'd probably enjoy if I was doing it just for myself. ClusterSSH btw is a great program for ppl that have stupid home networks of a bunch of machines.

as far as the rope comment, I've def had moments where the poo poo I was looking at hurt so bad I couldn't decide between the side of a building or a nap. life has been way less stressful without fixing other people's computer problems, less money/bar tickets(60 buck in bar tickets for an hour of work is my favourite payday ever)/suppers tho.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

biosterous posted:

can you $ cowsay a dragon

I have a customed cowsay in some of my rc files so when I open a terminal I know which ones loaded. it's one of my fave commands that aren't needed at all. sl is great because it's fun to see a steam engine tell me i hosed up, normally i only type l which is set for the prefered settings for ls... lolcat though, oh boy is it fun using when people watch me work on their stuff... it's always great to just pipe everything into lolcat when people are watching and sometimes they think the system is totally hosed. I can't remember the thing I used to have that would print text from a file character per character for each key press but it was fun to load a text file that way and hammer away at keys and look like i was writing some poo poo crazy fast and most people would just assume I could write code faster than I could type english.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Not much, dog, what's cephfs and max inode counter with you

FFS, I haven't lost my breathe laughing in months, but ya loving got me. GG, I'm gonna take shot and go back to bed.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Further proof that if you keep repeating the same stupid busted-rear end joke enough times, eventually you'll tell it to somebody who's never heard it before!

Or just catch someone at the perfect time for it to hit just right

cruft posted:

I've been running cilantro with cedar bark on a dead boat sometimes

the scent that my brain tried to give me from reading this makes me really wanna sniff some cedar/cilantro.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Ok, so I don't wanna hijack this thread and get whatever the BYOB version of TSA is to come inspect my av's nutsac(I'll never tell you which square it is), but I was thinking and there are a [calculating lot/load] shitload of people that don't know much bout the tux. I have years as I know others here do and I've been to the linux side of reddit where it's mostly ppl that are dicks to everyone kuz they grinded hours of docs, wikis, and manpages to figure out how to make poo poo work. I'm not a fan of that, I kept getting told to check Arch Wiki on install and I actually didn't find a clear path, but I took a couple different things on installing and realised which both had parts wrong and got it to work. Arch is a kinda pain until one has done it enough to not forget steps(one missed can start the whole thing over).

But, to get to my point, I think it'd be nice to have the thread go in a way that can promote usage(from the chillest perspectives on the inet) and so I'm posting/bumping for the purpose of maybe getting some people interested(maybe save 200 buck on next pc or don't pirate) or hoping to not have less techy people avoid the discussion.

That all said, I'd really like to know some other people's first package installs on a system or their first modifications.
One my first things I do is add rofi and set it to LAlt+C because it's crazy nice in the middle of anything to flick my thumb over and my finger down to pop up a (I use rofi combo for this hotkey) list of open/recent stuff or be able to type any app and have it open.?
CAPS is pointless to me so I rebind the CAPSLK key to control and set left control as a mod key. With win/super key on the left of most boards I use all three as mod keys. so ctrl+c launches something, win/super+c launches something, and LAlt+c launches something. It's way easier to do this in Linux than Windows and I had to buy a program just to do what rofi does for free and it doesn't even do it as well, but does actually have some cool alias and text replacement stuff(Breevy, prob the best windows software I've ever paid for).
Kinda went over Zsh/Oh-My-Zsh and that's not really much for a newer person to worry about, but isn't complicated and can be an easy into to git installs.
For anyone worried about gaming, really Linux is better. The games that are natively written will run better on tux. Nvidia was super cunty for a long time and it seems like they didn't want anyone on linux to use their poo poo. They still don't try kuz it doesn't make them money. Installing and setting up poo poo can be a bitch, especially on a laptop kuz then you need like bumblebee and poo poo kuz companies don't make linux firmware. Huge upside, people put time and effort into doing it so that other people can use their poo poo without billionares having to spend money. The basal premise of GNU/Linux... I get it, you wrote a bunch of poo poo that didnt work until Linus made it and Linus + Unix = Linux... Let's not forget that ppl worked hard on making computers unchained to megacorps.

I'm off track. Still, I don't wanna gently caress up the cool vibe in the thread. I just think we as yobbers could help get ppl into something better. I got pms also if anyone would rather directly hit me with questions, but I'm sure the thread has better answers than me.
Frohliche Weihnachten

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

doritto posted:

Just started using Linux again, I'm on Arch + i3 and it is making me never want to use windows again ever.

ooof... yum.... Arch I3 is like absolutely perfect for me. I hate bloat, waste, mouse, and anything keeping me from just doing what I want right away. Do you use anything life flux? I think it helps for the non keyboard poo poo even tho I want everything tiled almost all the time but it seemed easier to use for random stuff. flux and i3 on arch booted to like 54 MB RAM and I loved having that set up on this computer before i switched to using it on a diff one and started using Parrot on here. Arch with 16GB RAM and a quadcore is kinda like racing a toddler.
I had my fan break on my laptop and Windows runs at like 70C base but even the extras on linux that i'm using it's like in the 50s so I've been enjoying how comfy it is to not use a mouse for everything and lol, my old install is way more stable than win7 since their last big 'update' that I think was meant to brick things.

lol, seems like a personal question but what is your partitioning set up?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

doritto posted:

yeah i am really enjoying having full control of p much everything about my computer, setting up keybinds to open my web browser and shell scripts and poo poo, feel like the ultimate hacker man because i also recently got montior arms and set my monitors up vertically instead of sideways. it saves a whole lot of space on my tiny desk but also kinda makes me go matrix mode.
my partitioning setup is p basic. i've got the majority of my main nvme drive for my root, about 24 gigs of swap and a gig for my boot, got some other drives in my fstab but i recently formatted my last ntfs partition to ext4. still got a laptop with windows on it tho

I can't remember if swap is really important anymore with decent amount of ram. I got 16GB in my laptop and I am using 151MB of my swap. I wanna get another monitor for vertical. I've been looking for a cheap low res ultrawide. But everything seems to be focused on gaming and I can't find anything that makes sense just for a really tall vertical that only needs enough res to have a terminal running.

Bargearse posted:

still running Windows on my main desktop because my job involves supporting a lot of stupid Microsoft poo poo, but I’m running EndeavourOS on my laptop, it’s basically Arch with most of the hard work done for you

I like the sound of EndeavourOS. I remember liking Manjaro a lot for how skipping the Arch installation was nice and it was a well put together system from the start.
Grabbing an ISO and gonna load up a vm and see how it feels. I got a couple old computers that have been ignored for the last couple years I need to update and set back up as media servers and I might go with Endeavour instead of Debian if it works nicer. Otherwise since I run them headless I'll prob just Arch them and just get ssh, ftp, and samba set up then give up on loving with them.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

installing Endeavour in Vbox right now. I remember there was supposed to be a friendly Arch installer that never worked for me, but this seems to be generally what that was supposed to be, maybe with a bit more personal flare from the dev. I'm doing offline kuz xfce is nice and this is just a test run to play with the OS.

I really wish I'd have dumped the 3k into building the computer I wanted years back. Big server cpu, dumb loads of ram, masive storage drives, usb pci cards, and cheap gpus with multiple outputs. I wanted a big box that I could set up multiple vms to run and basically set myself a bank of things and just let ppl do whatever.

Addition: I'm not totally sure. I guess it's been awhile since i did a new install and i didn't load up my script to install my basic needs. Not bad overall but it's pretty bare for still using around half a GB ram... Doesn't come with htop is a weird thing I noticed. Not a huge thing, but just seemed odd when I tried htop and was told it wasn't installed. i'm also currently on a laptop with no fan so i got it limited in cpu freq and so i'd prob have been better grabbing a diff one and booting a usb rather than a vbox here. but this is def a very easy way to get a pretty minimal arch install without hassle. I'd prob stick with manjaro just for the preinstalled darkness haha. Do wanna set up a usb and throw this at a physical computer though. get everything set and then set it to headless. I think it'll be better than debian for what I need and save me time on arch installs.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 26, 2021

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

doritto posted:

Yeah only reason i added the swap is because I was having an issue where whenever my monitors would sleep they wouldn't wake back up, I could have fixed it with some other tweaks I did but ever since I switched to this setup its been working great. An ultrawide would be so nice, I've got two 27" 1440p monitors which I bought for a pretty decent deal on black friday.

I pretty much keep swap just kuz it really isn't much space anyways and if the system wants to use it then cool, otherwise oh well I wasn't a sliver of my drive. It prob gets used more on the other computers but I never worry bout anything on them as long as they keep booting and I can connect through the router.
I don't mind a 19inch 1080 for a second screen that's pretty much always playing some video, used to use a 32inch tv also just to be able to go sit on the couch and watch stuff. honestly it might be cheaper to get a VR setup and use virtual monitors rather than actually buy them/

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Bright Bart posted:

I liked having Linux despite the odd little quirks that bothered me a tiny bit. Such as how no distro I've used or even played around with can have Bluetooth stay turned off after you reboot. Or that eventually all Linux machines crash permanently and you have to reinstall the whole OS.

Now what prevents me from going back is that I have a nice notebook and it has a Windows key. How can I use Linux if the key is there?

Lol, Scrape the useless symbol off.
Also, there's a cool trick I learned awhile ago to
code:
grep sagi .zsh_history
sagi=sudo apt-get install but I forget how to not have the numbers, it's a sed thing maybe to delete the string or an option I forgot how to set in my history file, but I'll pipe that all to an install.sh and roll through it once to clear the stuff I don't care about and then fresh install and run the script then gently caress off while my new install downloads everything I like(I also never format my home folder so all the configs stay in place). the only pain is the configs in system folders but I copy all them before the install so that all my server stuff and random settings can be popped back into place with a small script. Way better than running shitloads of installers in windows everytime I reinstall that. I have my linux reinstall mostly automated so I don't worry much if things go wonky.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Anyone else get used to TWMs and vim so much that it is annoying to use a mouse?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

more falafel please posted:

i use windows at work because game development, but I use vi emulation in like every editor I can and everyone gets very confused

I used to use Atom on Windows and when I wanted to use gui editor on Linux, but it was mostly for the Power Mode plugin that shook the screen and had particle effects when typing(it was fun feeling like I was smashing the text into stone) but then I started using VSCode and it's vim and some other plugins really got me happy with how well I could get stuff done.

alnilam posted:

I do a lot of actual remote shell posix type stuff these days for work and it makes me smugly happy that i started using linux as a teen :smugmrgw:

This includes using vim. I personally don't give a poo poo about the vim emacs rivalry but all i know is vim is there on everything I've ever SSHd into and emacs is not so i am just not particularly interested in learning emacs, even if it might be better (no opinion), it's just objectively not useful to me.

I never really got the point of caring what editor people use. I've played with emacs, but didn't get into it so I stuck with vim. I'd much rather people use whatever they want, but stop leaving trailing whitespaces because something in my brain goes insane about them. I actually read things in vim a lot because the plugins make it easy to jump between files and hjkl is a nice way to move around, but I have a whitespace thing that turns them to red blocks and when I'm reading a file I'll go through and delete them as I read then save it so if I need to look something up again I won't be annoyed.

And it's funny how something like SSHing to something makes some people think you are a wizard. It was nice to connect to the bedroom computer and crank volume up then play a song if I thought my gf needed to wake the gently caress up(Korn has a perfect song for this). But even stuff like setting up a port at people's houses so i could figure out what they did wrong on their computer and fix it without having to actually see my friends was nice.

For some scrots... These are back from the first Arch install I had turn out right and me having not yet gotten everything set up exactly how I wanted yet.

Hadn't started using irssi for irc yet

Had to get configs sorted on VM before doing physical install

And yep, Sasha Grey is a great background for medium opacity.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

barnold posted:

Sasha Grey :stwoon:

Years on Twitter before permasuspend and my one greatest accomplishment was this.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Here's mine:

I guess I got a little deep into Plan 9.

legit how bare I love a desktop. I lose my poo poo about icons at all kuz I love me some transparency. But even on windows I run this thing and have drop down bars for shortcuts/launchers so that my desktop is clear. I laugh when ppl show off a setup or their wallpaper and it's a muddy fuckyshow to even see kuz they have a shortcut for everything they have installed... Linux Rofi/Windows Breevy and nothing on the desktop.

more falafel please posted:

brb gonna make a BYOB HURD discussion thread to eventually replace this thread

Lol, that's the kernel that didn't work befor Linus sorted poo poo right? GNU did the main work but couldn't kernel the poo poo and Stahlman got so pissy that tux is linux kuz linus+unix when FSF did so much? FSF are pretty dope, but dude should be less butthurt about it being called linux since it wasn't usable without linus. also i maybe told him to shut up and called him a nerd on twitter, it wasn't a verified account but his name and a bit of followers(gnu guy).

did HURD ever get sorted? I know they eventually had so many things all together that it was possible to have non GNU system.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I haven't used my bedroom laptop for movies in a few years because the last couple places I've lived I just had my desk setup in the bedroom out of convenience and didn't need a second one. I booted it and something is hosed in the boot and I really don't feel like fixing it so I'm gonna reinstall something. probably arch since that's what I was running before and with vlc and a bare system it does it's job playing movies and lets me control it from externals.

Anyways, I don't wanna mess with my main system since I already need to do a fresh install on it sometime but keep putting it off, but I wanna try out Evilwm and figured I'd ask if anyone has used it before. Arch is nice for testing out diff combos of stuff so i think i'll use that on the older lappy that i normally would run i3 on(i'll still put i3, xfce, and flux on it just because they are great to have and take so little space).

and if noone has experience with it then I guess I'll drop a link and anyone into minimal setups might be interested in this https://www.maketecheasier.com/evilwm-a-devilishly-simple-window-manager-for-linux/
I think the only downside would be launching everything from terminal, which can be easy with & but I'd never give up on rofi being my goto for starting anything, so it wouldn't matter. a drop down terminal also would be a nice way to go for launching since it would leave the screen clear of anything not being ran. I generally avoid tabbing a terminal or using tmux other than on remote hosts so i can switch devices and keep working on the session.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

If you're in the market for minimalist window managers, may i suggest 9wm, maintained by yours truly!

Guaranteed to piss off anybody else who tries t use your computer.

Might chuck that on a vbox and play with. prob not best for headless boxes with no perepherals. iffy on a laptop with only touchpad, but i'll deff try. if i can flick the cursor around then it'll be fine. I really feel like it sounds familiar and maybe I've seen it before, I spent a lot of time testing stuff. low ram use would be great on some the old pcs i use as servers with like a gig of memory. Niche as gently caress, but it would save me some on a computer running with everything. I just put it on my main to play with, i love how easy linux packages are to install normally. I might have an arch install already in a vm to chuck it on. and i love ppl not being able to use my pc, my windows ME didn't have a mouse and i had controls set on keyboard and everyone hosed right off before i could explain how to use the mouse(I wish i'd known bout linux then and I could have looked like a loving wizard).

Mummy Napkin posted:

I haven't heard of evilwm. Seems pretty simple and neat.

If anyone needs a lightweight solution to make launching things on a minimal install easier, try out dmenu from the suckless folks.

It has many uses, but the most convenient is being able to pull up a search bar with a keybind and typing in what you want to launch and lettin her rip.

I've not tried dmenu, but it sounds a lot like rofi. Center popup with(varied results based on things but i use combi) list of running things and then i can type whatever is on the system.
also just figured out i have dmenu, so i must have used it in the past few years, just can't think of what for. wait, dmenu shows up as a bar right? yea, now i remember. I used it a bunch on stuff before rofi to quick launch, I mostly switched because rofi pops center and Its easier to read. def a good thing to have tho and would work. now i'm trying to remember which computer/install i used it with a lot.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't used desktop Linux in years. All that UEFI and trusted computing bullshit and Windows 10 constantly replacing the OS selection menu are solved issues these days? Or did it get worse? And what's the go to for people with not too much time to tinker with drivers and configs? Manjaro? Mint?

I bailed that safe boot off everything I've gotten with it. All it does is prevent booting to USB and that's been a pain when people wanted me to fix their stuff and I can't be arsed with the computer thinking it controls me.

Mint and Manjaro are still good choices, really there's so many good ways to go. Set legacy boot, install whatever sounds good and give it a go. Personal preference is ParrotSecOS which has a home version that's not packed with the security tools, but runs well and already has most of what you'd need for regular use.

alexandriao posted:

it's also available on toasters!!!

I can't wait to get a smart toilet and put linux on it so if I flush wrong an ASCII train rolls by on the screen.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not sure if that's an option for most computers out there. I'll look into it.

Last I knew it took setting up in windows to boot to bios to change. it was a pain. I haven't done it in years because I am still running my computer from 2014. its supposed to be secure, but really is just annoying. Windows has a way though since they shouldn't lock you out from being able to go to bios. good luck.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

baka fwocka fwame posted:

im linuxing now get used to it

:bsdsnype:

I'm used to it now. thank you for the notification.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alnilam posted:

I'm afraid to boot up my even more ancient Win7 partition but I badly need to sync my google drive stuff. Anyone here have a fav workaround for google drive on linux?

I actually use my website as a cloud storage. I have set it up for a few other people to to backup photos and stuff from phone. Due to rules about not using the site for storage purposes I also use a bit of the stuff. But other than the cloud storage I have ftp configed a few ways. That feeds into some scripts. Like i have a basic install script that i'll download on a fresh install and run and it'll install programs i want and download/place other files where they need to go on the system. It's nice to wget one file and run it then the whole system is configured to feel like all my others.

I still use Win7, it's not terrible and I've had time to adjust it. But Windows 100% threw breaking code into the updates and for some reason it works less than the clean 2014 disk I have. But I kinda blame MSI for a bit of my dependency, why sell a computer over $2k and not let people have drivers for poo poo. Linux users that work poo poo out and share their work are the reason I don't think everyone in the world is a dick.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Alias murder='rm -rf'

I like this alias, makes me consider my choice before committing.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alnilam posted:

More like murdir

I'll add this alias as it seems more appropriate.

knuthgrush posted:

I like to alias sudo to "loving" but my coworkers are more kindly and alias it to "prettyplease"

I used to have gently caress aliased to repeat the last command with sudo at the front. I can't imagine most of my aliases would be work friendly or helpful to others.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

This thread is very much responcible for my not logging into guild wars 2 for dailies in months. I only have windows install for some games i don't bother to put effort into setting to run on linux. But, i haven't had random crashes or system freezing errors or anything just deciding not to work since I last booted windows. kinda funny how people think linux takes so much work but 90%(i guess) of online tech support for computers is trying to figure out why windows hosed up for no reason. I need to go through the gimp thread and learn to use that better since i'm so PS dependant now. I still can't believe adobe managed to buy macromedia and then killed the best parts of it and over time pretty much let the rest become pointless. maybe i should wine up my 05 copy of dreamweaver since i always liked that. but to my point, it's nice how stable linux is compared to windows when everyone seems to have the idea that linux is so much work. guess i'll keep using my linux laptop to fix everyone's windows computer.

cruft posted:

At home, I recently replaced my three USB external backup drives with a real USB 3.0 DAS unit. The disk speed is INCREDIBLE now.

But it was really loud. I tried a couple things to quiet it down but nothing really seemed to work, until I found this One Weird Trick: remove the case and rest it on a crumpled-up diaper.

AMA

scented or unscented?
actually, what's DAS? and congrats to upgrading your external storage, I wanna sometime do that when I can afford 2-3 20TB drives. I'll set up a 5TB partition to send stuff to instead of deleting it after that.
Addition: it'll be good too kuz i can take all my old computers running mostly server set ups and stop using them as network storage. not that it's difficult having them all run, mostly pretty easy, but i'd rather only maintain one and that'd prob be easiest from the stero laptop or my main work/gaming one. then I suppose the rest could just be powered on every so often for redundant backups or pushing unimportant tasks to.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 24, 2022

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alexandriao posted:

If you use Steam, I've been using the Ubuntu 22.04 pre-release (It has the PS5 controller kernel drivers!) and Proton has been loving perfect! It's played everything I've thrown at it, including:

- Elite Dangerous
- Halo MCC
- MSG V
- Sable
- Doom (2016)
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Cloudpunk
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
- Psychonauts (Windows version works better than Linux Native version -- Had to switch to Proton 5.13-6 but it was just selecting a different menu item)
- Journey

and loads more. I do do a courtesy check on protondb because sometimes folks will say stuff like "oh there's some stuttering unless you use this early version of proton" or "use WINED3D=blah for better performance", but it has been so painless

It looks like guild wars 2 has a reasonably good rating on it, and some folks have said online works by the look of it!

Steam did finally do a good thing with the Proton thing. it was great since Valve never hated on linux and it was great to see steam support it. I'll look at the stuff for running it on linux tho, it'd be nice since I haven't played much since i need a new fan or my laptop goes to 90s in temp when running a game and that's not chill. booting windows just to launch to check market and collect daily was more work than i needed. but linux always has ran things nicer for me. the biggest hangup i've had was with parrotsec and things being firejailed, but i figured workarounds and figured how to launch things with optifine settings that worked. parrotsec is pretty well set to not let things interact with each other so it takes some work to convince everything to be friendly. but on the other side i don't worry about any amount of comprimise. and it's so funny to listen to ppl talk about banning mac adress for games when they don't realise how easy typing randmac is.
I haven't gotten a ps5 controller but the ps4 worked so well for the few things i use controller on, mostly driving/racing sims, that i've never been bothered much. even my ps3 controllers are great to play. i've had so much less problem with linux and controllers than i've had with windows. i'm not even trying to poo poo on windows, but they kinda do it to themselves really. fl studio has a steam version which is on of the only things i've used windows for also. i should just put in some effort and make ps run on here and then i'd prob not need windows.
I've spent a bunch of money on(pretty good really) software for windows to just add normal functions from linux or packages. alt-space popping up a box to type anything i want was like just a few bucks to get a decent thing on windows, and i do like breevy but rofi is free and so much better. i think my efforts to make windows act like linux have mostly been a waste when i could have been just letting linux do everything better with a small bit of tweaking.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Ok yea, so it's a separate rigged thing to house drives, like a Nas but not needed to have separate. Not a bad thing. Cleaner than just slapping usb splitter onto external drives. I've thought of setting up a 2.0 on one my servers just to add storage and really ,2.0 is fast nuff for local streaming... But if I could mount something like yours under my desk it'd save me a lot of effort. Do you get option to run raid or normal on the controller?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

USB 2.0 is absolutely fast enough for streaming movies. a 4k movie can run 45-55Mbps. USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps. So you could realistically serve up five simultaneous 4k videos without breaking a sweat.

My USB 3.0 DAS does not provide any sort of hardware RAID (I hate hate HATE HATE HATE hardware RAID), but there are many available solutions that do.

I mostly was just asking about raid kuz I don't need that and it would really be a pain to have it as a normal setup. i have been using a 2003-4 desktop with ide drives on intranet for a movie server without prob. I generally don't go over 480-720 on movies normally kuz only my main rig has even 1080 and 4k is way more res than I need. hardlined to the router and sshfs mounted I can play what i want from the server box and so yea even if i switched up and put the storage device to the newer laptop i use for music on me entertainment stand and just set that as my full media server, since it has hdmi also i could run to the tv, and I think it'd work great. It's either that way or I drill alil into the underbits of the desk(glass or i'd mount to the bottom of the top). as easy as linux makes it to mount other devices it'd work either way for my use. I love the idea of having so much storage as your thing does. I'm way into data hoarding. I added a drive to my laptop and then took the dvd drive out to put in another and still think i need to replace them with sshd drives for the two hard drives and maybe upgrade the ssd to a 2tb newer model.but, then again decent direct external would work for most of what i have on here anyways. it's funny that really read speeds and transfer don't matter much as far as playing games off external. plust i could add another 16gb ram and i don't even need all of mine on linux so i could set up that as a ramdrive for the stuff i use most.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Tried Manjaro last night and it is definitely what I've been looking for. Arch Linux with an installer? And it comes with flatpak préinstallés? And it doesn't enable snaps by default? And it works out of the box with this nutty tiger lake sound chip? I am here for this!

He'll yea, I love Manjaro for easy installs and no worries for a good arch install without fuss. It's one the few things I'll keep new releases on incase I ever need to throw it on something.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

knuthgrush posted:

I read this as "tried marijuana last night" and I have two things to say:

1. Manjaro is terrific
2. I need to go back to the too high to post in BYOB thread.

I should install marijuana sometime and see if I can load that thread.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I've always had a small army of low volume flash cards and a couple large ones for transfers I couldn't make over a network. But I find myself now wondering if I can set a USB to boot to grub and partition multiple ISOs to it. Give myself a multi-installer to keep updating(obviously allocating extra space to each partition for future expansion of the ISOs). I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with this kinda thing and specifically if I can set it up to boot to like grub and select from the ISOs on there to install?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

What you want is possible, but the way you described it isn't.

ISO files are actually CD-ROM images. Somebody discovered a hack so that you could have a bootable CD-ROM image that could also be dumped onto a flash drive and boot there too. But nobody's written a multi-boot loader for a CD-ROM.

You can multi-boot off a flash drive, though, which is more or less a hard drive. You would need some sort of boot loader like grub, and then multiple partitions containing whatever live-boot thingy you want. This is possible, and I have done it before.

However, almost every distribution that presents you an ISO is going to need extensive and intense work to have it work outside of its ISO kludge. Generally this would involve unpacking the ISO into an EXT2 filesystem, and modifying some of the early boot scripts to look in a different place for things. I got this working with Ubuntu and... something else, I forget, maybe Arch. It took me days.

It's just a whole lot easier to carry multiple flash drives.

I was mostly thinking of it since I dunno where most my flash drives are. Unpacking/installing to usb being a possible solution isn't terrible tho. I just don't wanna rewrite a couple usbs everytime I need to use them.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Is Debian server still good on old 32 bits? It's been like 4 or 5 years since the last time I set up media servers from old desktops.

It's also been about 3 since I fully installed ParrotSec instead of updating it. Which has made problems with their package system changes, but work arounds have sorted most of it. So I might make a day of reinstalling systems on a few laptops and desktops later this week.

Also, I'll look it up, but I swear there was a kid-friendly build of something years back and I might take the extra laptop I used to have in my bedroom and set it up for my kid. Sadly it's not touchscreen or he'd pick it up quick, but I might be able to find one someone is trying to throw away and fix it up for him rather than offer to fix it for them if they get me some booze.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

oof haven't posted in a while

I installed 5.18

yay

How is Plasma? -I haven't ever tried it but I've seen it look nice.
Any benefit to Yakuake over Guake? -Not sure if it's just a small preference thing or if there are bonus features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Just thought of this. If your fan(s) ever die you can use the app cpupower to limit cores so while running you don't end up with them stressing to push hard with no cooling. octocore at 1 GHz with no cooling is still decent. it wont fix needing a new fan but it'll keep ya from melting down while still using the system. temps can be used to adjust based on need.