Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emSparkly

I'm open to interpretation!
I always wanted to try Linux From Scratch but the only computer I have that I could try a hobby project like that on is this old Pentium 4 box and it would probably take forever. Should I do it anyway?

I am a patient they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly

Archinstall may have no gui but it makes it trivial to set up the distro these days.

I am a patient they.

emSparkly

All I know is that the Windows bootloader is a massive bastard hog and will completely gently caress up dual boot setups. I stg I've had it overwrite GRUB and rendered my linux partition unbootable.

I am a patient they.

emSparkly

Pop OS's weird hacked Gnome gives me a rash

I am a patient they.

emSparkly

If discord gets screen sharing with audio working on Linux I swear I will ditch Windows forever.

Actually, if I ever need to do that can I just use a virtual machine? Virtualization is good now right? I have a relatively beefy machine.

I am a patient they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly

nesamdoom posted:

Does amd cpu/gpus play well on linux? I'm guessing cpus do because that's a more common. Just still working on a new computer and figure current stuff will have more compatibility than my old rear end laptop for drivers.
in a toss up with building(which I've not done completely) and a system with intel/nvidia or one with both amd.
worst case I can delete windows of the laptop and run that on the new one just for gaming and linux runs everything else great on here.

AMD graphics have a good deal more support than Nvidia.

I am a patient they.