Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark

I'm sleep

alexandriao posted:

In the last ten years my linux experience has gone from "Oh, I'm missing wifi drivers in Ubuntu, better use Arch Linux", to, "I can play all the same games my Windows friends do with minimal tweaks, and everything the OS needs to do works out of the box", it's honestly just astonishing how much progress there's been and I'm looking forward with hopeful eyes to the next ten years :)

I was thinking about this the other day. I remember when I wasn't even proficient enough to use Linux at all, and now I largely wouldn't even need to be because of how many user friendly distros there are and how far they've all come. it's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark

I'm sleep

nesamdoom posted:

Haha, I knocked the usb out during install. I'm so bad at this these days. Also, forgot to grab some of my configs so should be nice relearning how to set up some of the stuff. Hoping Nvidia doesn't give me a huge headache with firejail again.

I had debian running on my laptop and had 2 external monitors also, and when I tried to install Nvidia drivers to utilize the laptops 3070ti, it broke my ability to use both displays. it would detect them and I could switch between, but it never let me use both simultaneously. couldn't ever get it figured out.

hark

I'm sleep

nesamdoom posted:

I never could get hdmi or dpi to go out. Upside was the VGA was on intel so I still can watch movies on second. But I'm already getting annoyed at stuff. Did the install and bios will only see a different drive for boot.
Haha. I should have left it alone.

good luck and/or r.i.p. to your installation

hark

I'm sleep

nesamdoom posted:

I just found out about castero and I'm so happy. I might set my stereo back up the way it was. Old laptop plugged to wire split to main and receiver running cmus in tmux so I could connect from anything to play music. And I had a thing to SSH in from browser. Anyways, I can listen to podcasts on my computer now without having to get up when an episode ends and only in a slightly more ridiculous way than just using the phone or tablet to play them in an app.

ooh this sounds interesting. I'm gonna look into it when I get home from the salt mines today.

hark

I'm sleep
I always use vscodium just so I don't give MS any of that sweet sweet telemetry juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark

I'm sleep

emSparkly posted:

All I know is that the Windows bootloader is a massive bastard hog and will completely gently caress up dual boot setups. I stg I've had it overwrite GRUB and rendered my linux partition unbootable.

this has happened to me numerous times and it's infuriating every time.