Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

in 2002 or so I got this lil' guy from a computer store so yeah I guess you could say I use Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9kQ24z3cgk

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

the line i didn't get in there says "a pc is a terrible thing to waste"

more falafel please

forums poster

Micro$uck WinBl0ws

more falafel please

forums poster

nesamdoom posted:

Anyone else get used to TWMs and vim so much that it is annoying to use a mouse?

i use windows at work because game development, but I use vi emulation in like every editor I can and everyone gets very confused

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

I do a lot of actual remote shell posix type stuff these days for work and it makes me smugly happy that i started using linux as a teen :smugmrgw:

This includes using vim. I personally don't give a poo poo about the vim emacs rivalry but all i know is vim is there on everything I've ever SSHd into and emacs is not so i am just not particularly interested in learning emacs, even if it might be better (no opinion), it's just objectively not useful to me.

a vi-compatible editor that can be invoked with 'vi' is literally in the posix spec. the best thing I can say about emacs is that the programming environment allows you to make it a vi

more falafel please

forums poster

honestly I don't care about editor wars my brain is just irreparably broken for anything but vi-style editing anymore

more falafel please

forums poster

brb gonna make a BYOB HURD discussion thread to eventually replace this thread

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

I just spent two hours with a co-worker tracing down a problem that amounted to a one-line change to a configuration file.

We changed
code:
no-daemon
to
code:
keep-in-foreground
. Just in case any of you happen to be debugging dnsmasq responding slowly.

what's the difference between those flags? i would expect them to mean the same thing

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

Right?

no-daemon means "only handle one request at a time, serially, even if it takes 2+ seconds per request". keep-in-foreground means "don't daemonize".

i mean, I guess there's a difference between "daemon" meaning "fork and close stdout/in/err, then exit the parent" and "daemon" meaning "fork/thread/etc on incoming requests and process them on worker threads/processes" (which is what many daemons do) but I really thought the former was the actual definition of "daemon"

anyway that's frustrating

more falafel please

forums poster

i forgot that this library function exists because I think my edition of Stevens' APUE shows doing it manually. and I don't work on platforms that have fork() generally speaking

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

What's your favorite man page?

ln(1), given my ratio of `ln` to `man ln`

also because ln(1) = 0

more falafel please

forums poster

Chewbecca posted:

In my head Linux is pronounced line-ucks, idc if this is wrong because its right in my heart

I will not be taking questions at this time

linus is finnish but from an swedish ethnic area so his name has like 3 different pronunciations depending on what language, but he has clarified that linux is pronounced "linn-ucks"

fun fact, linus's other major piece of software is called "git" because, according to him, he names all his software after himself

more falafel please

forums poster

knuthgrush posted:

My current moment of feeling like I live in the future is running kodi on my Linux mint desktop with kore on my android phone (also technically Linux). I can pull up videos with newpipe from YouTube or a couple other sites and stream them to kodi by way of Kore.

I know normal folks with their chromecasts and their Apple things have been able to do this for hundreds of years but I just think it's neat.

I ran an xbmc/kodi box for 15 years or so to watch Perfectly Legitimately Acquired TV And Or Movies but a year ago or so I moved everything to Plex, hosted on a seedbox in the netherlands that I can watch from the Roku Plex app on the TV, but I can also watch it from pretty much any device anywhere which is nice. it's nice being in a hotel or on the train on your phone and having all your Legally Digitized And Definitely Not Pirated media right there

more falafel please

forums poster

knuthgrush posted:

Funny enough, I don't have any Totally Legal, Etc. content. I really don't watch a lot of movies or TV and I don't have the storage for all of that. Plus the automation and setup to Acquire Legal Content (Seriously!) was so convoluted it's easier to pay the streaming cartel. Mostly it was laziness because I touch computers for a living so there's that. I use kodi for the Free IPTV list of public channels I found on github and as a way to do the YouTube from the couch thing. The benefit is no ads vs the YouTube program on my roku on the bigly TV.

yeah i've had a system of ropes and pullies to automate my content for a while now. there are some tools that make it pretty easy, and the usenet thread in sh/sc is very helpful

more falafel please

forums poster

big black turnout posted:

I kinda want to try guix but I don't know if it's still up fsf's rear end and I tried nix but I don't think I'm trans enough to understand it

I think the whole point of guix is that it's up fsf's rear end

more falafel please

forums poster

I met rms once, he was gross

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

I've met rms several times. He's gross.

But he also told a really moving story, and I respect what he's accomplished.

he spoke at our ACM chapter in college. one student asked about ways to make a living with free software (we were all coached to not say open source). his response was that free software was more important than making a living, so you should try to couchsurf, and ignore things like "having a family" or "having health insurance"

more falafel please

forums poster

ogg vorbis is a CINCO product from tim & eric awesome show great job and you cannot convince me otherwise

more falafel please

forums poster

knuthgrush posted:

Is it about the size of a switch?

it's significantly larger. think a game gear but maybe a little bigger

more falafel please

forums poster

nesamdoom posted:

Do you ever want a roguelike os?
https://qntm.org/suicide

the very low stakes version of this is installing sl
https://man.cx/sl(6)

oh dang bbcode doesn't like parens in a url one bit

more falafel please

forums poster

back in my day gentoo stage 3 was the option for if you were hardcore and wanted to spend 4 days installing an OS that didn't work

more falafel please

forums poster

display is absolutely gonna be the limiting factor. if you take away the part where it's actually displaying the terminal in any way:

unless sl does a bunch of useless math for no reason to spike CPU (which it could since it's a troll program to begin with) then I think you'd run out of PIDs on a modern machine before you were using all your cpu just doing the logic of sl, and that includes ncurses or whatever it's doing. so yeah. it's hard to really express how fast CPUs are anymore when they're not waiting on something (memory, disk, GPU, context switch to the kernel or to another process) and on a multicore system you'll be able to use basically all of them

memory shouldn't be a significant issue since it's gonna be dominated by the program itself (can't imagine sl is keeping more than a few KB of state, unless it's as a troll) which is just gonna be in the same pages

honestly the tight loop of the program itself is probably all gonna fit in icache which means you won't have memory pressure either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

honestly the limiting factor even if you get rid of the display is gonna be the write(2) system calls and their associated context switches