Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Arc Hammer posted:

The Grear Schism drove multiple Covenant species to near extinction in less than a month. Billions to trillions dead as the Covenant splintered.

yeah as far as I know the largest single battle in the entire war was the initial space battle around High Charity in the opening of the Schism (the Gravemind level in Halo 2)... which happened largely off screen, with only a few comments or maybe some neat vistas

then the Flood showed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Yeah, the two biggest blows against the Covenant were arguably the two they inflicted on themselves; unleashing the Flood and pitting the Sangheili and Jiralhanae against each other. Humanity just happened to have the CHIEF and enough manpower left to capitalize

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Prior to the big retcon the UNSC fleet at the end of Halo 3 consisted of one half of a frigate, which always makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqxc8ewnC4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSnkA6VYmUw

It's a bit plot summary-y for my taste and HiddenXeperia is definitely a super fan but it is pretty neat that Alex Garland wrote a script for a Halo film. I didn't realize he was the guy who wrote 28 Days Later and with that in mind Halo actually seems like a pretty good fit for his horror stylings.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Prior to the big retcon the UNSC fleet at the end of Halo 3 consisted of one half of a frigate, which always makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqxc8ewnC4

What was the retcon?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I think it was that they had a lot more ships in the outer systems or something. Including at least one super carrier of sorts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah the retcon was they had a bunch of shipyards and fleets they didn't feel like moving to Earth to not lose and they were about to finish building Infinity, the greatest thing in the history of forever until it got owned in the intro of Halo Infinite

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Inner Colonies were mostly left unscathed in the retcon aside from Reach and Earth. There's over 200 of them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That's astoundingly dumb.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Does any of the post 3 stuff ever both to explain why the Forerunner decided to store the Flood on the weapons designed to destroy them and which must not be compromised in a Flood outbreak?
As a Marathon-obssessed teen, I always imagined the Flood was a W'rkncacnter and that Halo was the universe created at the end of Infinity. The W'rkncacnter survived as the Flood, and Durandal was the Forerunner and the AI in High Charity. Welp.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think it's so they can try to research a way to not turbo-murder the galaxy next time but I'm sure there's a dumber reason

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
343 Guilty Spark says as much in the first game that Flood samples were kept on the Halo Arrays for study... and that it might not have been such a good idea.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Huh.

Are there any good write-ups on their early plans and stuff? I still can't help but feel they originally did imply to do more with the mysterious AI in High Charity and with the Flood - and Marathon - in general. Like I dunno, the Gravemind gets such a weird personality shift between the second and third games. Not to mention all these years later and I still have no clue what the gently caress the High Prophet of Truth was about. Like Halo 2 seems to imply he knows it's all a sham and has some kind of ulterior motive. But Halo 3 makes it pretty clear he's drank the kool-aid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The simplest answer is that there was a ton of arguments in the writer's room for Halo 3 and it's a mishmash of the original ending of Halo 2 and a lot of sloppy writing plastered on top.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I mean marathon is once you actually sit down and get through all the terminals and discard the loose plot threads a good sci fi story.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I mean marathon is once you actually sit down and get through all the terminals and discard the loose plot threads a good sci fi story.

it's a bunch of very neat ideas assembled in the general shape of a story. the looseness of the plot threads are both the big problem and the appeal. it has way too many switchbacks and shocking revelations and "actually everything you thought was true was a lie" revelations to really make much sense as a straightforward narrative, but they create a great atmosphere of confusing, overwhelming mystery and paranoia. if you like all the questions, you can dig for secrets and find even more questions. if you don't, it still works as a story where elephants are fighting and you're just trying to avoid getting trampled.

but if you boil it down to the core narrative, it's just kinda dumb. every story setback ends up undone by deus ex machina (literally so, on more than one occasion), so much so that the last game just says gently caress it and makes the protagonist the one who's rewriting the story until it ends right.

i love those games but they're much more fun as a mystery than once you finally assemble the plot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mandalore did a couple of videos covering the Marathon games that are a pretty good look into the plot and the games themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9rMu1XYB98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQaNQ_uePFk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vurgeAkIxY

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
mandalore's takes are really, really colored by only playing aleph one. aleph one has a widescreen new and relatively unobtrusive UI, but the original game's relatively narrow FOV, cramped UI, and reliance on the map (which blocks your view) gave it a claustrophobic feeling that the later games don't have, which made the narrow windy mazes feel more natural and appropriate. he flashes the original UI briefly - it's the version where only about 60% of the screen is the actual view - but he's clearly not using it to play.

on the other hand, the music in the first game was hosed by problems with quicktime's midi player, so lots of players had no music or a weird bad version of it because it was using the wrong instrument set. it's a large part of why the later games had ambient sound instead of actual music. aleph one just has rendered mp3s (ironically also using the wrong instruments but nicer ones than the originals), so that's not an issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_ynsjwd48

I've been following this project for a while so I'm excited to see the final video.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the new Halo Infinite season brought in the Mirage 2 armour, aka an updated version of the Spartan 3 SPI armour. This is something that has never made sense to me and makes even less sense with the updated Mirage 2 armour. Why is it so poo poo? Every piece of info about SPI makes it sound like hot garbage that even a Marine wouldn't wear and everything is made to cut costs as much as possible. In a world before Spartan 4s this makes a bit of sense because S3s are still super deadly but from Halo 4 onward Spartan 4s are so common and Mjolnir is so widespread and still improved upon the Gen1 suits that you wonder why they'd even bring back the SPI equipment if it sucks so bad. The Spartan 4s even have their own budget suits of Mjolnir with the Rakshasa gear from Halo Infinite.

It's just weird to me that you'd make Spartan 3s who are nearly as good and sometimes even better than Spartan 2s and then completely skimp out on their equipment so badly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The UNSC gives it to all the Spartans they hate

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They've got a guy everyone calls "bluster chief" and all he's allowed is the poo poo armour and the sentinel beam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If he got the arcane sentinel beam from Infinite he's the deadliest man in the setting

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

No, he only gets the Halo 2 version of everything.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

the only vehicle he can use is the prophet space wheelchair

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So the new Halo Infinite season brought in the Mirage 2 armour, aka an updated version of the Spartan 3 SPI armour. This is something that has never made sense to me and makes even less sense with the updated Mirage 2 armour. Why is it so poo poo? Every piece of info about SPI makes it sound like hot garbage that even a Marine wouldn't wear and everything is made to cut costs as much as possible. In a world before Spartan 4s this makes a bit of sense because S3s are still super deadly but from Halo 4 onward Spartan 4s are so common and Mjolnir is so widespread and still improved upon the Gen1 suits that you wonder why they'd even bring back the SPI equipment if it sucks so bad. The Spartan 4s even have their own budget suits of Mjolnir with the Rakshasa gear from Halo Infinite.

It's just weird to me that you'd make Spartan 3s who are nearly as good and sometimes even better than Spartan 2s and then completely skimp out on their equipment so badly.

counterpoint: the entirety of military requisitions throughout history

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Arc Hammer posted:

i mean, S-3s are meant to be expendable; there is a certain level of logic in "don't spend too much on their equipment, it's only getting used once"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Argus Zant posted:

i mean, S-3s are meant to be expendable; there is a certain level of logic in "don't spend too much on their equipment, it's only getting used once"

But then you go and make S4s who are arguably even more expendable given how safely anybody can undergo augmentation and suddenly Mjolnir is so commonplace that companies are making black market suits.

Ackerson must have just been a cheapskate.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The grift is real, even in the far future.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make arguably the better supersoldier than Halsey's Spartan 2s and then completely cripple them with cheap equipment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone got confused and gave them Mjolinr brand kevlar vests

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfiTJ2JNDco

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hope the second season is better than the first.

Not that the first season was bad. It was just there.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems very much like a very different vibe from the original Halo games. I guess Halo 3 and Reach had a similar sort of desperation for humanity vibe, but it wasn't that dire. Halo's story was a lot more fun, the characters were more upbeat, there were some downright silly moments even if it wasn't all comedy. What's the show gonna be like when some grunts show up and start squealing?

I know that the show wants to be more melodramatic, but like if you want war as serious business where everybody is sad and depressed, adapt Gears of War.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that the show wants to be more melodramatic, but like if you want war as serious business where everybody is sad and depressed, adapt Gears of War.

... you haven't played Gears of War, have you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9zFByoyZ8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEgoaLZzXM

Who's ready for the third take on Reach falling?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEgoaLZzXM

Who's ready for the third take on Reach falling?

maybe they can save it this time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gamma Company S-IIIs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/LtCameron88/status/1764459113633694133?t=20Ry4EBKcXCUq-HZfxeuaw&s=19

When you want to listen to some sick Halo tunes and then Marty pulls poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
if I had a dollar for every time a musician whose tunes I liked turned out to be a dumb shithead, I'd have several dollars by now