Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This show feels like its already on the edge of total incoherence, and I can't imagine what trying to milk more seasons out of it will be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

What about it feels incoherent to you? I think they have a lot of separate plot threads that aren't always well balanced but hopefully they can tie some of them together in a way that makes sense.

Re: Misty, I can't really decide if she murdered Travis. Finding the pattern in the crime scene photos feels too convenient. But I could totally believe she sent the SEND 50K text (or had someone like stallion99 set it up for her) just to see what would happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Misty believes that people will only like her if they're dependent on her, so she 100% is behind the blackmail escalation because it's a situation that makes her indisnesible to the group.

But Travis was killed by his younger brother IMO, who's the dude who's having the affair with Shauna.

Also I'm getting the sense that they're setting up a reveal that Shauna's kid is still alive, and being raised in the woods by some of the survivors who never made it back (probably the best friend who the show is trying to pretend is dead). So a future season will end up with the four survivors, plus a few hangers on, ending up back in the woods again.

Those are my insane theories anyway.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

coronatae posted:

What about it feels incoherent to you? I think they have a lot of separate plot threads that aren't always well balanced but hopefully they can tie some of them together in a way that makes sense.

Re: Misty, I can't really decide if she murdered Travis. Finding the pattern in the crime scene photos feels too convenient. But I could totally believe she sent the SEND 50K text (or had someone like stallion99 set it up for her) just to see what would happen.

Incoherence isn't the right word. There are just a lot of things going on and I can't imagine resolving them in any way that won't be totally bonkers and maybe unsatisfying.

I's in through this season no matter what, but it feels like it's falling into the Lost trap of establishing a bunch of supernatural stuff that can't be paid off in any meaningful way. That said, the show probably wont run for over 100 episodes like Lost did, so if they don't stick the landing on the paranormal stuff it wont be as annoying.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Open Source Idiom posted:

But Travis was killed by his younger brother IMO, who's the dude who's having the affair with Shauna.

Javi is absolutely sketch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

coronatae posted:

Laura Lee is 100% going to try flying that plane and crash it and die. Episode 8 is titled "Flight of the Bumblebee"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone explain to me how putting a Walkman with nothing plugged into it into a bucket turns it into a bitchin sound system?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone explain to me how putting a Walkman with nothing plugged into it into a bucket turns it into a bitchin sound system?

A lot of walkmen (mans?) had a little external speaker, and if you put a small speaker in a metal concavity like a bucket or a bowl, it gets surprisingly loud. You're basically reflecting all of the sound waves in a concentrated, single direction so it works a lot better than you'd think with just a little effort. It's not gonna sound like that, of course, but the music was being edited in from a studio recording so of course it's not.

You can actually do this with your phone as an experiment if you want. I know this because I listen to podcasts when I cook and stuff, and when my headphones broke once I got creative. I eventually found out that once I got the touch, my lovely little phone could play podcasts loud and crisp enough that I could hear them across the room even when I was using a stand mixer or taking a shower or something.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

veni veni veni posted:

By suspending disbelief for 12 seconds and just enjoying the show?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can buy or 3d print simple amplifier horns that will make your phone speaker pretty loud.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

a new study bible! posted:

it feels like it's falling into the Lost trap of establishing a bunch of supernatural stuff that can't be paid off in any meaningful way. That said, the show probably wont run for over 100 episodes like Lost did, so if they don't stick the landing on the paranormal stuff it wont be as annoying.

The supernatural stuff all can be explaind though? Lottie ran out of crazy pills and Misty fed the coach period blood tea and it all coincided with a puff of wind to give a bunch of scares and vulnerable girls an excuse to found a new religion around the ol' dead smuggler.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

By suspending disbelief for 12 seconds and just enjoying the show?

Also this, but I’m not gonna let it slide that it’s literally a thing that happens when you put something that makes sound into a bucket. You should be able to suspend disbelief and also sometimes goons just don’t know a thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am aware of the bucket thing.

Jesus Christ it was just a jokey post about how riciously good the sound was on the thing that probably doesn’t even have a speaker calm down.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe this part of Ontario is known for unusual acoustics.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cinema Sins has ruined the ability to be understood when you make jokes like that. Once you realize there are huge chunks of the world that think the Statue of Liberty at the end of Planet of the Apes is a continuity error, you just stop thinking people are acting in good faith.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think it's probably best for anyone to realize the similarities with Lost start and end with a plane crash in a remote area and that's it. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

4 episodes in and I'm enjoying this way more than that terrible show.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The supernatural stuff all can be explaind though? Lottie ran out of crazy pills and Misty fed the coach period blood tea and it all coincided with a puff of wind to give a bunch of scares and vulnerable girls an excuse to found a new religion around the ol' dead smuggler.

I think establishing a bunch of ostensibly paranormal stuff only to pull back the curtain and reveal that they’re all the machinations of Evil Genius Misty might be goofier than just having the ghost of a fur trapper possess a bunch of teenagers.

But I’ve always thought of the show as Riverdale tier, so I’m looking forward to the insanity. I’ll be interested in seeing how the threads resolve.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

I think establishing a bunch of ostensibly paranormal stuff only to pull back the curtain and reveal that they’re all the machinations of Evil Genius Misty might be goofier than just having the ghost of a fur trapper possess a bunch of teenagers.

But I’ve always thought of the show as Riverdale tier, so I’m looking forward to the insanity. I’ll be interested in seeing how the threads resolve.

What has happened that was ostensibly paranormal? Everything has been at the level of "spooky but completely explainable by normal means".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One thing that went unexplained, unless I missed it, is how the cops knew about Travis' corpse like a second after Misty and Nat arrived. That's probably not supernatural though.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’d say that by far the most likely culprit for the murder and postcards is Natalie. She won’t be the girl eaten in the prologue, but she will appear to die but actually have survived somehow without the rest of the girls’ knowledge and is getting revenge. She’s one of the main characters and was conspicuous in her absence in the present day from the start, and since we’re now primed to assume she’s dead, it will be a twist if she isn’t.

E: this is a loving great show, btw. Misty in both time periods is amazing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’d say that by far the most likely culprit for the murder and postcards is Natalie. She won’t be the girl eaten in the prologue, but she will appear to die but actually have survived somehow without the rest of the girls’ knowledge and is getting revenge. She’s one of the main characters and was conspicuous in her absence in the present day from the start, and since we’re now primed to assume she’s dead, it will be a twist if she isn’t.

E: this is a loving great show, btw. Misty in both time periods is amazing.

...?

Natalie, one of the four main characters in the modern day as portrayed by Juliette Lewis?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

...?

Natalie, one of the four main characters in the modern day as portrayed by Juliette Lewis?

:lol: A spectacular display of bad tv watching!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

...?

I got the names mixed up. I meant Jackie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O okay. Word. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, the show is currently leaving Jackie's fate very much ????? and I assume that's gonna be a major mystery going forward. There were a couple mentions in the last episode, but they very carefully didn't say any specifics, just lots of rephrases about "what happened to Jackie".

Sorry if I insulted you or something, but I was really, really profoundly confused.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Misty and Shauna are both great

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I, too, am a conniving poodle-haired little loving freak

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

I, too, am a conniving poodle-haired little loving freak

Fukken gang tag material right there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah they're definitely setting Jackie up for something. This episode they went out of their way to show how she's not handling things well, and not contributing. I can see the twist being that she stayed behind (voluntarily or not), became "attuned with nature" and came back for revenge. The "Tree lady" is her hiding in a tree observing.

Ahhh I love weekly shows, it'll be fun to look back at our stupid ideas.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'll put my marker on the woman in the trees being Shauna's first daughter, born in the woods, and raised exactly like Shauna joked she would.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

People are really out here asking "why are Tai and Van sneaking around instead of being out in the open?" bro it's...it's 1996 bro :negative:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don’t make long-term predictions cause I prefer to not draw hard conclusions from limited data (a.k.a. I’m a coward), but I wonder if the necklace thing might not be a red herring. It’d be low-hanging fruit to set us up with the idea that it’s Jackie’s necklace on the person who is killed at the beginning, and we’re playing this whole shells and pea game, but really the show was playing straight and Jackie bites it in the first 4 minutes of the show. It has a bluntness I like.

Or Lottie’s a fuckin’ wizard or something idk.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think Generic Christian Girl will snap at some point.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm into this show while the going's good but no way they make multiple seasons of this without either:
1. Stretching the plot thinner than castaways' supplies
or
2. Going completely off the rails

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm into this show while the going's good but no way they make multiple seasons of this without either:
or

"We have to go back to the island the woods!"

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Kuiperdolin posted:

or

Yeah they are absolutely going to get another season and Glee it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I don't want to read the thread for fear of spoilers but is the show worth getting in to, now a few episodes are out?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, it's quite good. Who knows if it stays that way, but for now it's a heckuva ride.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's fun. I'm not convinced it's there yet, but I'm enjoying it all the same.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Show owns bones.

So far the main “criticisms” seem to be :

1) But what is the mystery?!?? What is going to happen on this mystery show about a mystery!?!?

2) O god, I hope this doesn’t turn into another Lost. I just want to love again, don’t hurt me.

I’m firmly in the latter category, but the show hasn’t actually done anything to warrant it, so it feels kind of like recovering from bullying.

Would recommend so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Lost is good.