Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Misty and Walt should start to steer this show into connection with Dirk Gently somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

angerbeet posted:

I thought it was weird that Misty's visit to the Black Lodge was overlooked by everyone

Although I think I posted that before the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

angerbeet posted:

I thought it was weird that Misty's visit to the Black Lodge was overlooked by everyone

The thread picked up on it when it turned up in the credits, so I think when the actual scene rolled around it wasn't as novel.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

angerbeet posted:

The Black Econo-Lodge.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I guess Laura's "I'll see you again in 25 years" applies to this show too (1996->2021).

Anyway the Red Room is not the Black Lodge. In this essay I will

flea
Oct 8, 2000
Misty's dream sequence is the highlight of the show for me so far, and I'm not among those who had serious issues with S2. When she went into that tank I was expecting horrific visuals because Misty is a horrific person, but instead we got giant dancing Caligula's and I'm so happy to be so wrong.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but apparently this season got cut from 10 to 9 episodes to finish in time for Emmy eligibility or some poo poo along those lines, so I think that is the explanation for why certain plot points felt so sudden this season.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

flea posted:

Misty's dream sequence is the highlight of the show for me so far, and I'm not among those who had serious issues with S2. When she went into that tank I was expecting horrific visuals because Misty is a horrific person, but instead we got giant dancing Caligula's and I'm so happy to be so wrong.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but apparently this season got cut from 10 to 9 episodes to finish in time for Emmy eligibility or some poo poo along those lines, so I think that is the explanation for why certain plot points felt so sudden this season.

They should do that more often. When I came closest to noping out was around 2-3. It was just dragging forever and a lot of it was Taissa sleepwalking, and I am just so ready to be done with that plot*. Then poo poo suddenly started happening.

I’ll take a lot of nonsense quickly over an hour of status quo maintenance.

*As distinct from it as an element. I’m fine with her being a psychic were-tree in her sleep, there’s just been waaaay too much shoe leather expended already on establishing it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

They should do that more often. When I came closest to noping out was around 2-3. It was just dragging forever and a lot of it was Taissa sleepwalking, and I am just so ready to be done with that plot*. Then poo poo suddenly started happening.

I’ll take a lot of nonsense quickly over an hour of status quo maintenance.

*As distinct from it as an element. I’m fine with her being a psychic were-tree in her sleep, there’s just been waaaay too much shoe leather expended already on establishing it.

Yeah this has been my issue as well, wherever this is going there is not way it's interesting enough for this endless boring buildup.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm haven't watched Season 2 yet, what's the general consensus on Simone Kessell's performance? I might be working with her soon on a movie.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bonk posted:

I'm haven't watched Season 2 yet, what's the general consensus on Simone Kessell's performance? I might be working with her soon on a movie.

She was good. For someone who is playing the crazy leader of a cult, she plays it rather subdued, much like the younger version. She doesn't have quite the iconic career that the other leads have, but looking at her wikipedia she's been working steadily (albeit mostly in TV guest star spots) for more than 30 years.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Cool. I watched her actor reel. Subdued cold emotion masking barely-contained crazy rage is basically her entire role in the movie, and it seems like she can pull that off well. :)

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
Congrats to Melanie Lynskey on the Emmy nomination, though I'm surprised Nelisse was snubbed. She had an unhinged mourning of her best friend arc AND the birth episode, among various other traumas to act through, and she was terrific with all of it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

More surprised Juliette Lewis did not get it. They should do a tandem "actors playing the same character" category, feels like there's been quite a few these last past years uh.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think Lynskey is the best of the adult cast, but I also think the younger cast almost entirely outshines the adult counterparts.

I also really don't think she deserves the guest nomination for The Last of Us, especially at the same time as her Yellowjackets nomination given they were basically the same performances.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I like her in the show a lot but never considered it an Emmy worthy performance.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The best performance on the show is Christina Ricci and it's not even close

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I mean she's also easily the most interesting character too, just a transparent ride or die psychobff

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We all need a Misty :unsmith:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Rarity posted:

The best performance on the show is Christina Ricci and it's not even close

It’s Misty followed by teenage Misty.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Adult Misty > all of the teenagers > the rest of the adults

Although I should give adult Tai credit for a few impressive performances when subtly switching between Regular Tai/Dark Tai, because she pulls that off in a very unsettling way that I really enjoy (and am scared of).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

Although I should give adult Tai credit for a few impressive performances when subtly switching between Regular Tai/Dark Tai, because she pulls that off in a very unsettling way that I really enjoy (and am scared of).

I think she does some of the comedy business pretty well. Like when she’s hugging the dog and promising that she’s not going to cut his head off, or when she’s anxiously making single cups of coffee in her bourgeois single-serve machine one at a time as she tries to stay awake.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Teen Shauna > Adult Shauna > Teen Lottie > Teen Misty > Adult Misty > everyone else I guess, probably the Vans on top

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

or when she’s anxiously making single cups of coffee in her bourgeois single-serve machine one at a time as she tries to stay awake.

Ha, I didn't notice that. that's a pretty good gag

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope next season they add another layer of far-future Shauna and Misty and maybe ??? others, that will be part of the mystery

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

EL BROMANCE posted:

Episode 3 we find another shed where Misty has been keeping the leg and putting makeup on it.

lmao

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The real hosed up thing is it's in the adult timeline.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’ve been catching up on this show and just finished S2. Can we reduce the adult timeline to just Misty and Walter please? Maybe Misty can fill up a few more needles at the beginning of S3.

I really hope the cops actually do some more investigating into the poo poo that happened at the cult camp because the drug overdose story makes no sense.

The shows has been digging deeper into trash level, but I’m ok with it so far. Not sure how they’re going to get like 5 seasons out of this though. I have zero clue what they’re going to do with the adult storyline either.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Someone will yell “WE HAVE TO GO BACK” and then we’ll be forced to have a whole season of the adults in the woods.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm locked into the prediction that the adults will go back in the same season as the kids get rescued so the sets will just trade places.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The 3rd season peels back revealing that we've been watching a documentary about the Yellowjackets, following them from before the crash and into their early 40s. There is now a 3rd cast for each character.

In the 4th season some of the production crew that worked on the 3rd season decide they "have to go back" :lost: to try to figure out what REALLY happened and look for clues. This season is all handheld / gopro / found footage.

The 5th season was filmed at the same time as the 4th because they for sure knew they were going to be cancelled early if they didn't. It releases 6 weeks after the 4th season. Jeff is Javi

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope they do some 90s exploitation media stuff with the Yellowjackets post-rescue, like an Unsolved Mysteries segment, a very in-poor-taste SNL sketch, a ripped-from-the-headlines Law and Order, the Yellowjackets on a panel on Oprah, etc.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

I hope they do some 90s exploitation media stuff with the Yellowjackets post-rescue, like an Unsolved Mysteries segment, a very in-poor-taste SNL sketch, a ripped-from-the-headlines Law and Order, the Yellowjackets on a panel on Oprah, etc.

I can just imagine the Robert Stack narration followed by a talking head explaining how it’s most likely that their plane was abducted by a UFO.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chairman Capone posted:

I can just imagine the Robert Stack narration followed by a talking head explaining how it’s most likely that their plane was abducted by a UFO.

Yeah I'm gonna need some fake Coast to Coast AM with lots of wild predictions, one of which is 100% accurate like 2 seasons later.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah I'm gonna need some fake Coast to Coast AM with lots of wild predictions, one of which is 100% accurate like 2 seasons later.

I feel like this would be a really good teaser movie to air between seasons. Get some people to do 10-20 minute prime time news stories about where is the missing plane and soccer team.

Unsolved Mysteries, 60 minutes, a trailer for the trashy fox version of the movie. Put crazy coast2coast segments and callers in between each story.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I know it's not necessarily the purview of SVU, but now I desperately want to see Stabler interrogate Misty. Either time version is fine :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm watching I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore with Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood, I feel like this movie was a prototype for Misty and Waiters great adventures™ in Yellowjackets

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Medullah posted:

I'm watching I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore with Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood, I feel like this movie was a prototype for Misty and Waiters great adventures™ in Yellowjackets

Loved that movie, my wife and I can't eat yogurt without going "it's just some regular yogurt you can sip on" now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RichterIX posted:

Loved that movie, my wife and I can't eat yogurt without going "it's just some regular yogurt you can sip on" now

Yeah it's been on my list for a while but I always forget to watch it, finally remembered last night. Loved it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Alright! this is now a series that I have fully watched. Some thoughts.

• Regarding the "mystery" of the wilderness (I still think there is one, even if it's not the main point of the show), I think there seems to be some sort of paranormal pocket dimension that all of the survivors are somehow straddling. We've seen too many false reality segments at this point for it to just be a token storytelling device. Jackie before her death, Shauna's delusions with Jackie in the shed, Mari's near-death experience in the mall, Shauna's baby, and most crucially, Ben's apartment with his boyfriend. That clearly takes place in an alternate timeline where Ben didn't get on the plane, and eventually his boyfriend appears to him in the cabin and chides him about "hiding out" in that space. This also lines up with present-day Travis trying to get there by briefly hanging himself: you're only supposed to access this liminal space when you're near death (which is why Ben gets chastised for being there)

• I liked the Sad But True cover :shrug: I also agree that the theme song and opening credits absolutely own and they're one of the main things that got me sucked into this show. I also don't mind all the needle drops for the most part. They'[re better than the ones in Handmaid's Tale at least.

• One thing that definitely DOES make me roll my eyes is the writing, especially the present-day plots. They reeeeally strain credulity, even in the made-up wacky Murphyesque world of the show. Kinda reminds me of Orphan Black a little bit, especially later seasons that started to unravel a bit.

• I keep randomly remembering the scene where Taissa buys a new dog for her son in I think S2E1 where he says something like "you got me a new dog?" and she goes "That's right, bud!" and the way she delivers that line just cracks me up every time. I really wish I could find it and link it on YouTube but I'm afraid I'm not that lucky

All in all a decent, entertaining show. I will probably wait until S3 airs in its entirety before watching because, judging by thread reactions, it's much better as a binge than a weekly watch.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I love the thread title—kudos to whomever came up with it :unsmith:

timp fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I am on S1:E7, and I know it is just a TV show, and I know they are just kids, but I am really amazed by what a poor decision it is to leave a sturdy and spacious shelter near the plane wreckage and a source of freshwater to attempt to cross an unknowably vast Rocky Mountain wilderness in search of...:ins: