Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think the take is Taysom Hill would still be a garbage QB regardless of whether his finger was injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No he was obviously just Tom Brady before being felled by an act of God

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think there is a possibility where Taysom Hill is both not a good QB and played worse than he otherwise would have if he didn't have an exploded finger on his throwing hand.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

BlindSite posted:

I think there is a possibility where Taysom Hill is both not a good QB and played worse than he otherwise would have if he didn't have an exploded finger on his throwing hand.

Don't confuse me for someone cheering for Taysom time, but the depths of his performance were totally due to a busted finger with a splint on his throwing hand.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
lot of questions about choosing to send out a guy with a busted finger to finish out the game.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
As long as he can hold on to the football might as well let him run around.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

lot of questions about choosing to send out a guy with a busted finger to finish out the game.

Looking at Trevor Siemian, I got no questions.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

Looking at Trevor Siemian, I got no questions.

It's a choice of a) A guy who can't throw

vs.

b) A guy who can't throw or run and takes forever to figure out whether or not he's going to attempt to not do one of those things.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

A.o.D. posted:

It's a choice of a) A guy who can't throw

vs.

b) A guy who can't throw or run and takes forever to figure out whether or not he's going to attempt to not do one of those things.
If you just watch Trevor Siemian, you would think he's running at 0.5x speed.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Mega64 posted:

I think the take is Taysom Hill would still be a garbage QB regardless of whether his finger was injured.

Yes

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh...Trevor Siemian's an OK backup. If he's playing your season is probably already done for, but he won't embarrass himself out there.

Why they wanted to play Hill over him...I'll never understand.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

Eh...Trevor Siemian's an OK backup. If he's playing your season is probably already done for, but he won't embarrass himself out there.

Why they wanted to play Hill over him...I'll never understand.
They were 0-4 with Siemian and the offense was a disaster, why wouldn’t they try something different

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wyoak posted:

They were 0-4 with Siemian and the offense was a disaster, why wouldn’t they try something different

I mean the things Hill is good at he was pretty damned good at in that game.

The things he is not particularly good at are unfortunately the most important things, also made worse by injury, and he was impressively not good there.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Teddy Bridgewater was 5-1 as Saints QB while Brees was injured.

And they let him go and they thought “Let’s just roll the dice on Jameis Winston; what could go wrong? Also let’s try to play a guy at QB who should only touch the ball 8-10 times a game during gimmicky trick plays!”

The Saints failing on a massive level to prepare themselves for life after Drew Brees is an indictment of Sean Payton.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gonz posted:

And they let him go and they thought “Let’s just roll the dice on Jameis Winston; what could go wrong? Also let’s try to play a guy at QB who should only touch the ball 8-10 times a game during gimmicky trick plays!”

The Saints failing on a massive level to prepare themselves for life after Drew Brees is an indictment of Sean Payton.

That was 2 years ago when they had a good pass rush, slant boy was healthy along with a wall for an offensive line and a strong run game.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Without Kamara, Siemian had been playing with the league's worst set of skill position players outside of MAYBE the Lions and current day Titans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fsif posted:

Without Kamara, Siemian had been playing with the league's worst set of skill position players outside of MAYBE the Lions and current day Titans.

This is fair, but Siemian is still very slow to make decisions, not especially accurate, and cannot make plays with his feet.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh yeah, I don't doubt Siemian has been bad on his own (he was QB3 for a reason), it's just that it's not a situation any backup quarterback in the league could make hay with.

Might as well give it to Taysom and try and run an offense that remove the need for other skill players at all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gonz posted:

They were 5-2 this season before everyone important died. Teddy cost 20 million dollars and sucks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is Jameis the locked in day 1 starter next year?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is Jameis the locked in day 1 starter next year?

I don’t think it’s a lock, but there’s a pretty good chance he’s the starter next year, unfortunately. I think they’d draft or trade for a guy if someone they liked was available though.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gonz posted:

The saints had a top WR, top RB, top tier O-line, and a pretty decent defense to start the season. But then they all died. QB was always going to be a question, and its hard to win with a QB who does nothing but wait for their turn ala Jordan Love. Also Teddie suuuuuuuuuuuuucked. All he did was hand off to Kamara and throw to Thomas. The same thing Siemien, Hill, or the rapist could do too but much cheaper.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Fortunately the saints didn't do some sort of bizarre contract gimmick where taysom would get paid huge if he got snaps at qb.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Fortunately the saints didn't do some sort of bizarre contract gimmick where taysom would get paid huge if he got snaps at qb.

All of the escalators are performance based so I don’t think there’s much worry about him getting paid.

Outside of the bonuses for passing yard and passing TDs most of the others are tied to him playing 70% or more of offensive snaps and the team winning 11 or more games.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
taysom is the hill sean payton wants to die on

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gonz posted:

what preparation is there for life after one of the most prolific passers of all time? I’d argue going from a gimpy Brees to a decent-looking Jameis is about as well as you can realistically hope for. the injury sucks and makes it look worse than it is, but it’s not like they were scrambling to find someone in August.

having Brees and that defense put them out of contention to draft a credible successor, and it’s not like top 12 QBs are on the market (FA or trade). could they have drafted Dak in the third round to sit behind Brees for a few years? obviously, ~25 teams in the league wish they’d done that, but that’s not really a situation you can prepare for

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
ahhh its nice to have everyone on the same page that the Saints are a bad team this year. early on people were arguing they were still solid and could get a wildcard spot but it feels good to have reality set in. no, the team that lost one of the best passers of all time isn't gonna instantly be ok. i still think payton is a wizard and if he gets anyone remotely mediocre back in they'll be competitive

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean had injuries not got them they could have got into the playoffs. With the extra spot it’s a lot easier to get in them people realize

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Maybe those Saints players should have simply not injured themselves

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

they wouldnt have gotten in even fully healthy and every team is injured to hell and back

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

ahhh its nice to have everyone on the same page that the Saints are a bad team this year. early on people were arguing they were still solid and could get a wildcard spot but it feels good to have reality set in. no, the team that lost one of the best passers of all time isn't gonna instantly be ok. i still think payton is a wizard and if he gets anyone remotely mediocre back in they'll be competitive

They were 5-2 with wins over the Packers, Bucs and Pats. They were absolutely a solid team but they have no depth and a bunch of important players died. They weren’t going to win a super bowl or anything but they weren’t a bad team, just a flawed one.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

they wouldnt have gotten in even fully healthy and every team is injured to hell and back

https://mobile.twitter.com/reinhurdler/status/1465726567494164486

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Good thing we added another game. Good job nflpa

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

disregard, cant read chart

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 4, 2021

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They were 5-2 with wins over the Packers, Bucs and Pats. They were absolutely a solid team but they have no depth and a bunch of important players died. They weren’t going to win a super bowl or anything but they weren’t a bad team, just a flawed one.

yea they had a really fabulous stretch of luck while the defense played out of their minds. now that things have settled down they're exactly what they were always going to be this season, a team that just lost a HoF QB with no clear replacement.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

so the saints are tied for 2nd fewest injuries this season, that's hilarious. i do feel for the titans, they don't have a ton of injuries but they're literally all to their WRs and Henry. someone on the team wished for minimal injuries and julio jones paid the price

?????????????????? They have more injuries than everyone

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Metapod posted:

am I reading it backwards? i thought number of players active is number of different players that have had to start bc of injury.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Metapod posted:

Yeah they're reading the chart completely opposite

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

am I reading it backwards? i thought number of players active is number of different players that have had to start bc of injury.

They have played more unique players (84) than every other team in the history of the sport for the entirety of a season and it's week 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ohhhhh its saying active as in, have played every game. drat that was very unclear to me.