Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gazaar posted:

I'm here to watch blacksmith get its poo poo destroyed :)

It's cool, he'll still get in the final tournament somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I loved hammer and axe bots back in the day but they make so little sense these days, they're just difficult to control and get a good hit with, especially when you compare them to a big drum spinner that you just need to point in the general direction of the thing you want dead.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I loved hammer and axe bots back in the day but they make so little sense these days, they're just difficult to control and get a good hit with, especially when you compare them to a big drum spinner that you just need to point in the general direction of the thing you want dead.

I really liked shatter for this. The mechanum wheels let it keep the hammer towards the opponent at all times, and the hammer brought down so much power.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Good news on blacksmith, it's not a hammer anymore. Now it can do damage and if it's as durable as it used to be it might actually be a terror.

https://battlebots.com/robot/blacksmith-2021/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want Minotaur to go all the way this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbAcwYix7I

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

NightGyr posted:

I really liked shatter for this. The mechanum wheels let it keep the hammer towards the opponent at all times, and the hammer brought down so much power.

Shatter is just cool as hell, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Minotaur has been lurking on the edge for so long.

I also want to believe this is the year Witch Doctor gets their hardware poo poo together

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

RBA Starblade posted:

:agreed:

PostNouveau posted:

Minotaur has been lurking on the edge for so long.

I also want to believe this is the year Witch Doctor gets their hardware poo poo together

Also :agreed: I'm rooting for Minotaur most, but Witch Doctor is one of the many other bots I would be happy to see win the whole thing. They have certainly earned it.

The sound of Minotaur's drum spooling up is frightening. That, Uppercut's weapon at peak performance, and Tombstone's....well, all of it.

But Minotaur's pilot and mobility are also second-to-none. I love seeing the pilot in a pitched battle, crouched down sideways at like a 45 degree angle, not because he can't see but because he just needs to kill everything with his mind bullets. Go win a championship, you crazy Brazillian.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well if anyone wants a bit of a warmup. The year end finals for the Norwalk Havoc league is on the 18th. So you can see which 3lb egg beater holds up the best! Although is a marathon if you were to try to watch it all live. Their events usually easily end up 12+ hours long... and the same 2-3 guys announce the whole thing... :lol:

Which will stream for free on their YouTube channel here -> https://www.youtube.com/c/NorwalkHavoc

They did do a few recap videos that are almost like an actual TV show format for some of their fights over the summer which are pretty cool. Especially if you just want to watch some of the 12 & 30lb action!

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Looks like a great line up, although I am sad to see Death Roll didn't make it back; the champ still has unfinished business there :black101:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I love me some glass cannon bots. I'll be pulling for Uppercut to destroy everything in its path including itself.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

"The Internet Investigator" on Youtube posted a video about The Dark Side of Robot Wars, discussing some incidents and dispelling some longstanding myths, including a skewering of Ed Hoppitt's (of Storm 2) old claims about how the producers tried to screw him, specifically, over. Claims that weren't actually looked into by anyone to see if they held any water until just a few years ago. The reason he never returned after season 8 is that he seems to have been straight up banned from RW at that point.

I had read about most of the stuff that's discussed in the video, but there were some more details I didn't know, and one thing I hadn't heard about at all before was that Dead Metal apparently almost decapitated Jeremy Clarkson during the filming of The First Wars.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 14, 2021

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Sounds super interesting, will have to give it a watch when I've got an hour free.

Edit: Nope, gave up after 10 minutes because it was putting me to sleep. It doesn't matter how interesting your content is if you're just going to read it out in a dull, boring, monotone manner.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 15, 2021

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

is pepsi ok posted:

I love me some glass cannon bots. I'll be pulling for Uppercut to destroy everything in its path including itself.

Well Deep Six is in there too, so chances are high!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The first time I read that post I mentally swapped in "Deep Six" for what it actually said, didn't even realize until the quote

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well you can watch robot fighting pretty much all day today! 2021 NHRL finals are on today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vdh8qNF0ww

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Those finals had some really great fights and builds. And good production quality for what's sort of a niche live event. The smaller robots by the big names were a good mix ranging from serious small-scale test chassis to silly concepts but it was cool to see familiar names that can't always compete well on the show like Pain Train having a lot of successful matches.

The different rules and weighting mean you also get some effective multibots at NHRL. Several teams have that dialed in pretty well.

Amazon has a promo for $1/month for two months for Discovery+ right now although that has ads, might be a decent way to catch the next season of the main show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought this was a good rundown of all the competitors. I thought I'd gotten it from this thread but then I checked and didn't see it in here, so it must have been a recommendation off a Norwalk video or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rvaj8nyFGE

- Rotator and Tombstone looking real good

- Apparently Huge has put some work into making their weapon deadlier.

- Rusty now has a team and an actual fabricated body this year (built to look like the old model)

- Duck is uglier because they made new rules that lifters have to be able to lift a certain amount a certain height, so the bill had to get longer

- Bite Force not only isn't competing, but they put out a statement about how bot builders should get paid more. Apparently, when it was a network show, the teams got pretty good compensation, but the only thing Discovery gives them is it ships their bots (for the U.S. and U.K. teams) and pays for hotels. Bite Force wanted to do a big overhauls and try something very new with the bot, but the cost wasn't feasible with Discovery not paying anything. Emphasized that every robot is a money-losing venture across-the-board.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Thursday is the season premier for those that forgot :).

Not sure if they will do it again this season, but last season the new episodes went up on Discovery Plus on the Thursday, well before the actual airing on TV.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Fight card baby!

Free Shipping and Blacksmith is going to be a slugfest of two durable bots.

Uppercut and Megabyte is going to be a quick KO for one of them.

Hydra are the heels, but I would be elated if they dumpster End Game on the first episode.

Hopefully Gruff fixed their drive train issues from last season. I want to see that thing just body a bunch of spinners again.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 4, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wow there's some seriously destructive fights there. Gigabyte vs Upper cut & Tombstone and Captain Shredderator? Those are going to be 1 or 2 hit explosion fights...

I am pretty curious about the shelf that they added to the arena and how much it will add or takeaway from the show (Can see it briefly in the trailer)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 4, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
What's the YouTube exclusive about then? If its meant to be an advert you think they'd use a good fight, but then why would they not broadcast a good fight in the actual episode?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What's the YouTube exclusive about then? If its meant to be an advert you think they'd use a good fight, but then why would they not broadcast a good fight in the actual episode?

Past seasons they've always had an extra fight that they aired on the Scyfy channel airing of the show. It's pretty much an extra fight, but I guess they want an extra commercial break for the Discovery channel airing...

But usually I'm pretty sure it's the fights that weren't that exciting... Although Deadlift vs Jackpot should actually be a decent match unless Deadlift is still having a lot of issues, but I thought they were getting that poo poo dialed in last season...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I recall the online "exclusives" in the past were fights with quick weapon malfunctions that turned into shoving matches.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Maybe they reckon they've got enough good fights this episode to throw one to youtube for cash

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway-

The Tombstone guy used to have a bot called Last Rites which was pretty much the exact same bot. Why the name change?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Different weight class. And if I recall, despite having the same design, they have surprisingly few parts in common.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway-

The Tombstone guy used to have a bot called Last Rites which was pretty much the exact same bot. Why the name change?

poking at the wiki seems like multiple bots for multiple competitions with different rules + maybe some contractual stuff which resulted in multiple bots with the same name?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Found his reply in an AMA

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/lyptp2/comment/gpu6iox/

quote:

Last Rites was designed around the 220 pound class, and Tombstone around the 250 pound class. That may not sound like a lot, but it is enough that almost all of the parts are unique to each bot. I use the same motors for drive and weapon, but all of the manufactured parts (frame, motor mounts, weapon assemblies, etc.) are unique for each bot.

Obviously the design is very similar though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BattleBots also used to have pretty strict rules regarding copyright for the robots they accepted. So you'll sometimes see them that compete under different names and paint jobs at live fights. Whiplash originally got entered as Splatter, for example.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

At least back in the old CC days, Battlebots basically got exclusive rights to the bot names and likenesses for the sake of merch and toys and stuff, so often well known bots would show up to indie competitions with slightly different paint jobs and changed names, even though they were effectively the same bot. Shrederator used to be Phrizbee, Duck used to be Whoops, Gigabyte used to be Megabite, Minotaur used to be Touro.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 5, 2022

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

What an opening card. This is gonna be the most chaos ever seen on Jan 6th.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

is pepsi ok posted:

What an opening card. This is gonna be the most chaos ever seen on Jan 6th.

:yikes:

(Hahahaha)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm glad the full-body spinners got a reliability boost last year because uh those matchups are going to break a few things (on the ceiling)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sadly there's more poo poo for them to bounce off this year so I think it might be bad for the full body spinners.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'll be interested to see what Hydra can even do in the new Arena now that there's no "out" to flip people to. Maybe people can still get stuck between the plexiglass and the edge of the arena or something.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I haven't seen that much of the new arena accept for what's in the trailer in the OP. But keeping bots from getting stuck between the plexiglass and the rail was a pretty big priority for Battlebots. They were pretty afraid a bot would get stuck there while on fire and they'd have to replace the section before the next fight.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh well, Team Scorpios put out a sneak peak video today! Can see the weird shelf thing they have in the back. And also does look like they have something to keep bots from getting stuck on the edge out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohsrZObyZe8

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I haven't seen that much of the new arena accept for what's in the trailer in the OP. But keeping bots from getting stuck between the plexiglass and the rail was a pretty big priority for Battlebots. They were pretty afraid a bot would get stuck there while on fire and they'd have to replace the section before the next fight.

Ohhhhh, is that why they got rid of the ringouts? That makes sense. I had heard vaguely that there was a safety reason for it but didn't find the specifics.

Gort posted:

I'll be interested to see what Hydra can even do in the new Arena now that there's no "out" to flip people to. Maybe people can still get stuck between the plexiglass and the edge of the arena or something.

The Skorpios video above says that the "Shelf" is the new "out area," and they've taken more precautions to prevent bots from sticking between the plexiglass and area edge.

Also the Shelf makes these little contained boxes that should disadvantage vertical spinners this year because you can box your opponent in and make it very hard for them to escape and get distance to spin up their weapons.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhhh, is that why they got rid of the ringouts? That makes sense. I had heard vaguely that there was a safety reason for it but didn't find the specifics.

The Skorpios video above says that the "Shelf" is the new "out area," and they've taken more precautions to prevent bots from sticking between the plexiglass and area edge.

Also the Shelf makes these little contained boxes that should disadvantage vertical spinners this year because you can box your opponent in and make it very hard for them to escape and get distance to spin up their weapons.

I believe it's in 1 of the Team Witch Doctor / Hypershock weekly recap episodes where they had 1 of the Battlebots creators on for an interview where it was mentioned that having a bot on fire is why they didn't want those ringouts.