Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It seems like the new arena is going to make driver skill a lot more important and probably reduce the amount of earth-shattering hits (although most of those occur in the initial rushdown anyway, and that's still going to happen).

I dunno if I'll like it more or not, but I'm interested to see how it goes. I'm a little pessimistic because I'm more of a fan of big hits and carnage, but I am eager to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I believe it's in 1 of the Team Witch Doctor / Hypershock weekly recap episodes where they had 1 of the Battlebots creators on for an interview where it was mentioned that having a bot on fire is why they didn't want those ringouts.

Here is the interview with Greg where he talks about the safety on keeping bots from going out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntvPZBjhlNw&t=1046s

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PostNouveau posted:

The Skorpios video above says that the "Shelf" is the new "out area," and they've taken more precautions to prevent bots from sticking between the plexiglass and area edge.

You can just drive off the Shelf though, it's not like getting yeeted into the corner and being instantly knocked out. You only get knocked out if you stay up there

quote:

6.1.3 “The Shelf”
The Shelf is an approximately 16 foot wide by 8 foot deep platform raised about 6 inches off the floor of
the Arena. It is located against the far end of the Arena opposite the side with the entry/exit doors. The
platform floor is covered in Lexan plastic. The side of the platform facing the center of the Arena has two
screws identical to the hazard screws used on the sides of the Arena. The screws can rotate in either
direction. The two other sides of the platform are vertical edges with a height of 6 inches.
If the Referees jointly determine that a Robot is unnecessarily remaining on The Shelf, they may start a
count-down for the Robot, as defined in paragraph 7.5.4.

Note: During television production, “The Shelf” may be referred to using an alternate name.

https://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/BattleBots-Tournament-Rules.Rev_.2021.0.pdf

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Huge is going to laugh at the shelf.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

You can just drive off the Shelf though, it's not like getting yeeted into the corner and being instantly knocked out. You only get knocked out if you stay up there

https://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/BattleBots-Tournament-Rules.Rev_.2021.0.pdf

Oh, sounds like it's not really the "out" area then

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Battlebots has a page up on Amazon Prime Video again, but it's prompting for Discovery+ this year. :shrug:

Maybe that will change after the first episode's up

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
hydra triggers controversy again with a lifter attachment that allows it to flip while hiding on the shelf

"I'm actually on the ground" insists team wyachi as the referee feebly weeps in a corner

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

hydra triggers controversy again with a lifter attachment that allows it to flip while hiding on the shelf

"I'm actually on the ground" insists team wyachi as the referee feebly weeps in a corner

lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's probably usually better to not post much or any spoilers until after the Discovery air time. But the 1st episode is already up on Discovery Plus!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fish Of Doom posted:

Fight card baby!

Free Shipping and Blacksmith is going to be a slugfest of two durable bots.

Uppercut and Megabyte is going to be a quick KO for one of them.

Hydra are the heels, but I would be elated if they dumpster End Game on the first episode.

Hopefully Gruff fixed their drive train issues from last season. I want to see that thing just body a bunch of spinners again.

Prediction: Deep Six is gonna punt Pain Train across the entire box

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's probably usually better to not post much or any spoilers until after the Discovery air time. But the 1st episode is already up on Discovery Plus!

Welp time to go watch that, thanks for the tip

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
episode 1 thoughts

lol have we seen so much actual fire on this show before all in one episode? next year the arena is just going to be surrounded in large ventilator holes and if you get a robot into one of them you automatically win

sawblaze v minotaur - probably the only fight where things worked correctly for everyone involved. this must be on the first times i've been minotaur lose the match because of like actual damage inflicted onto its innards versus it taking 90 hits and then deciding that it doesn't want to spin up the drum anymore. but what a loving tank, there should be an award for joining the "spent the entire match on fire but kept moving". sawblaze's new forks also looked legitimately useful and durable, minotaur is usually pretty good at bending those things upward but they stood their ground this time.

uppercut v gigabyte - we all knew how that was going to go. uppercut looks a bit nerfed this year, i legitimately expected it to send gigabyte into the audience but the hits were still potent. definitely more stable that prior years, and definitely a big contender for the top prize imo

switchback v gruff - i can't tell if it moved slowly because the drivers were new, the motortrain was weak / flawed, or maybe both. the design is very beautiful and i'm a big fan of new designs in a sea of spinning hunks of metal. that said this is still a spinning hunk of metal but that arm is so cool! i don't think it's going to work out well for them because i have a bad feeling it's too top heavy, meaning the arm is going to be too slow to do anything significant and it's going to be a pain to drive around the box.

captain shred v tombstone - as the thread's tombstone apologist i am deeply saddened by tombstone's horrific self-own. ray definitely said it best that there was too much that was new all at once in tombstone... a lot of what made it reliable was all that old stuff, but to fight against the Zoomer bots it had to try and upgrade where it could. i'm guessing he's going to replace a lot of the newer parts with their more reliable older counterparts, meaning that it'll just be normal tombstone for other fights. which will still be a sight to behold!!

free shipping v blacksmith - the rules doesn't say that fire couldn't just be a permanent part of your robot, so i guess they decided to make free shipping 30% flames. but blacksmith aka nj sawblaze now finally has a real weapon that wasn't its prior playdoh crap hammer to backup its relatively reliable / armored body, and while i don't see it eating pieces of other robots like sawblaze i think it'll make it relatively far! the sparks probably add damage points for its scorecard.

pain train v deep six - :sickos: more blood for the blood god

hydra v end game - again big RIP to hydra after extensive upgrades break after one hit. end game's silly looking forward forks looks effective when they aren't getting stuck in the killsaws, otherwise this is just more evidence towards the eventual battlebots convergence to lower and lower robots for better and better ground game until all bots are flat sheets of metal. all praise our 2D battlebots future

arena thoughts: that corner is a killer for fullbody spinners, otherwise idk how the shelf is going to affect things yet.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I'm so hyped for this, let's go Uppercut.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's robot fighting time!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bluh, episode's up on Amazon now, you do need Discovery+ after all, 5 a month. I'll just have to make a note to cancel it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really a Sawblaze believer. I think they win with good driving a lot but that weapon's never been much to write home about. It's like a less-effective Whiplash. I'd think Minotaur takes this one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The driver for Minotaur is so dang intense, I love it.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

loving badass

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How do you get into the upper deck? I don't see any ramps

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
One of the most effective flame throwerings ever. Usually those things don't do poo poo unless you hold the other bot still and roast them for like 15 seconds straight

Same judges this year? I remember one of the dudes was kind of a dipshit last year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Gigabyte owned goaled themselves there

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Gigabyte owned goaled themselves there

Ah they weren't gonna win no matter what they did

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah a new looking design

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Switchback is cool, but I think a good hit on the pivot mechanism will destroy it

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Switchback's weapon sure looked weak for how much they talked it up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How can the arm not self right

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah Tombstone time

How can the arm not self right

Did it move on its own at any point? It got bounced around, but it seemed like they lost the ability to move the arm themselves.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That ruled

Time for 2 minutes of them of them shoving each other around unless this fire kills Tombstone

They were talking last year about hardening Captain Shredderator up a lot. Seems like they did it!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Fire for the fire gods

Stunned Shred didn't crap out first

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Well, that was a surprise

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We've replaced Blacksmith with Sawblaze. Let's see if the fans notice

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Fire for the fire gods

Speaking of, here's Free Shipping. If they don't erupt in a massive explosion at some point then continue to deftly drive for the full match we will all have been robbed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Al had hair at once point, right?

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
BOOOOO

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sweet fight. I'd give it to Blacksmith

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Man, I'm inclined to say Free Shipping won?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:drat:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I love Deep Six

What if the weapon is the robot

PostNouveau