Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Little nonsense Skorpios Vlog before going to Vegas...

Last year they did a few high quality videos from at the Battlebots event the couple days before filming started. Should be some good content up next week if you want to be spoilered on at least some of the teams that show up to the event.

Still no Tombstone this year because Ray hosed up his hand. Should be a video somewhere in this thread or on Skorpios channel with the interview they did with Ray which he shows his collection of bot part trophies and the glove he was wearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chrl48m2YAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Ray Billings also just released a fifteen minute video that is basically a slideshow of his tablesaw accident

I only made it seven minutes in

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ante posted:

Ray Billings also just released a fifteen minute video that is basically a slideshow of his tablesaw accident

I only made it seven minutes in

That's definitely a big No from me :lol:

Also nothing earth shattering or anything, but Battlebot's twitter account has been posting the "top 32" bots going to the championship this year. Tomorrow will be the final 4 bots, which I guess must be Tantrum, End Game, Witch Doctor, and Saw Blaze. Which I guess rules out Bite Force from returning.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1580151296396775424?s=20&t=fWhD3qWbtSLe759b6AiVMw

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I don't think he's ever likely to come back at this point.

Also I made it to the 10 minute mark of the video before giving up, the picture of his index finger cut open top to bottom for surgery was enough for me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, uh, wishing Ray Billings a speedy recovery, but I'm not watching a hand gore vlog

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It was bad not having Faruq intros, but the straight box audio fights are kind of nice!

I like Faruq but whoever is in the writing room is getting increasingly up their own rear end. Some of these intros are getting real long and contrived and lame. Keep it quick and simple.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like trying to play connect-the-dots of "why is this particular bot getting this convoluted pop-culture reference intro," even if I don't often win

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
My favorite Faruq intros are the ones that are clearly just him/someone googling the bot's name and going ham on D-grade puns. :allears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Should be a new video from Team Skorpios everyday this week, then probably total silence since they can't film once the actual filming starts...

A look at a few new teams and also Team Minotaur and Beta signing a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je7r16CNRpo

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Endgame released a video a few days ago that looks like they might be using meccanum wheels. I wonder if that will be the new blueprint

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Is that overkills blade at about 45 seconds? :aaa:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, the old builders gave Skorpios the blade in a previous video

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ante posted:

Endgame released a video a few days ago that looks like they might be using meccanum wheels. I wonder if that will be the new blueprint

Meccanum wheels for everybody, giant legs and weights bonuses for some.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I hope they do, mecanum wheels are a ton of fun on just about any robot. I have to wonder how they'd stand up to Endgame landing a hit on another robot though, that'd be a ton of force applied against those 45-degree rollers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

More new bots, and some more returning England bots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcu2mHuuFb4

RIPperoni is a funny bot, but they have a 30lb version, without the mismatched wheels. Part of their team is split from Team Uppercut though, which apparently is not competing this year :(.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGyUA37khcY&t=13036s

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

More new bots, and some more returning England bots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcu2mHuuFb4

RIPperoni is a funny bot, but they have a 30lb version, without the mismatched wheels. Part of their team is split from Team Uppercut though, which apparently is not competing this year :(.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGyUA37khcY&t=13036s

That robot at the beginning being tested in the weapons box looks super loving cool. I skimmed through the rest but they didn't seem to talk to that team.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's Dragon King. It was built by the guy who made Red Devil from earlier seasons and fought in China. He sold it to some YouTuber a while back so I'm not sure who's actually running it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

That's Dragon King. It was built by the guy who made Red Devil from earlier seasons and fought in China. He sold it to some YouTuber a while back so I'm not sure who's actually running it.

Hmmm, looks like it's 1-2 with a loss to Orby Blade, all that doesn't bode well for it.

Oh well, it looks awesome anyway.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Great Beer posted:

I see what you did there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I don't. :confused:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Lot of people got mad about Not Red Devil Anymore being bought by the YouTube guy, but the videos with it were pretty fun.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Red Devil got sold to the Osman guy, yeah. But you know who bought Dragon King? Team Skorpios.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Oh noooooo Kraken has a vert spinner

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

El Fideo posted:

Red Devil got sold to the Osman guy, yeah. But you know who bought Dragon King? Team Skorpios.

Oh right. Close enough :v:

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

ante posted:

Oh noooooo Kraken has a vert spinner

I thought he said Kraken would retire

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheKnife posted:

I thought he said Kraken would retire

They were retiring their crusher bot and coming back with a new design, not that the team was retiring.

Same for the Duck team.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEmK_SGCkts

Today's update features a crazy new bot from Donald Hutson that is modular or something and can also break apart into a multi-bot and come back together? It doesn't look like they have it ready for this competition, just that the wanted to show it around the pits.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

So his new attachment is strapping Tazbot to Lockjaw?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cool that Mike Jeffrey's (of Bombshell) got brought on to be the match steward and be the middleman between the builders and judges / production.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

He's a goon too, maybe he can give us all the NDA violating insider info. :v:

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Cool that Mike Jeffrey's (of Bombshell) got brought on to be the match steward and be the middleman between the builders and judges / production.

The new job is/was fun, if exhausting. Already said yes to next year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More Battlebots! More!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

More Battlebots! More!

lol

quote:

Producers have issued a casting call for entertainers who can play the roles of combatants. From the posting, “You do not need to design robots, just act like you are competing.” Emcees and team members, male and female, are filling roles for the Vegas show.

There will be five fights per night with two costumed team members per fight. The team members perform the the walk in, pretending to drive the robots, while the robots’ actual drivers are at the commands. These actors react to the action, and the hired performers conduct interviews at the end of each fight..

But the stars are the robots.

If you don’t already, get to know Witch Doctor, Kraken, Mammoth, Lock-Jaw, Hypershock and Whiplash, along with a host of new robots being specially created for the BattleBox Arena.

So I don't know who actually owns the licensing rights to the bots themselves. I (maybe naively) assume they had to pay out these teams for licensing, and then they're just gonna have a bunch of mechanics on staff to fix the robots and build spares every day.

Interesting idea though! Like a Medieval Times version of Battlebots.

I wonder if the cast is going to be lookalikes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't wait to see how Jobbot performs

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It's not the worst idea, although I'd really like the idea of "house robots" or even "house teams" more than mixing with existing teams the way it sounds. Then fly the real teams in for exhibitions to keep things going in the off season and maybe actually provide some extra funding.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

It's not the worst idea, although I'd really like the idea of "house robots" or even "house teams" more than mixing with existing teams the way it sounds. Then fly the real teams in for exhibitions to keep things going in the off season and maybe actually provide some extra funding.

I'm very interested in what the Battlebots org with (presumably) more budget than the teams and probably a lot more manpower will come up with for the house robots.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

RBA Starblade posted:

More Battlebots! More!

Zaslav finding out how cheap Battlebots is compared to the average tv show.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

More Battlebots! More!

This is like the strangest sounding thing ever. Where are the actual drivers at driving the bots that they can see the arena but only the "entertainers" are visible to the fans? Also I guess with those ticket prices, they'd have to be at least paying the builders that participate... one would hope at least.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This is like the strangest sounding thing ever. Where are the actual drivers at driving the bots that they can see the arena but only the "entertainers" are visible to the fans? Also I guess with those ticket prices, they'd have to be at least paying the builders that participate... one would hope at least.

I think it implies a full-time team behind the scenes working on the bots.

Like, Medieval Times doesn't have a stable and wranglers for the Black Knight Horse and a separate one for the Blue Knight Horse. It's gonna be like a couple guys taking care of a dozen horses.

Battlebots licensed these bots, they're gonna build like ... 8 Witch Doctors, and then fight 4 of them a night or something, and the next day the mechanics will fix all the bots that got damaged the night before. I wouldn't think the builders need to be involved at all beyond giving Battlebots specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If Discovery Warner ends up owning the sole rights to some new "house bots", I must reiterate my desire for BattleBots to show up in MultiVersus.