Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Chronojam posted:

A lot of teams had local resources (shops, vendors) in CA that they'd share with other groups. I wonder how that'll impact bot reliability this season? There were always a lot of stories about "we went down to Other Teams' workshop and made a new weapon after it broke" earlier.

I think the main key like always is simply time. The teams don't mind sharing with each other parts or equipment since that always makes for better matches. It's just trying to do repairs that would normally take days or weeks to be forced to be done within hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

To be fair they've been also nerfing spinners as well. Tombstone and Minotaur used to spin 300+ mph before they reduced the tip speed and now the Deep Six rule they added prior to this season means SOW in its current form can no longer compete (tho its been retired anyways).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Chronojam posted:

I want more gimmicks where nastier stuff shows up if all weapons are disabled or in the final minute

I do want to see them address that too if only to avoid cripple bots having a push match for the next minute and a half.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sammus posted:

Have the mini bots some people use ever been even slightly decisive in a fight?

Those tiny bots that you can buy online in a kit? Probably not.

Deathroll's minibot overseas however,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW-Uw2rJ5vE

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sawblaze could actually get improved even more by ditching their flamethrower, but I hope they don't because green flames are good.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Talking about the sport evolving, I remember when Robot Wars first started up and it was like this triathlon where each bot has to complete an obstacle course and mini challenges and the actual arena combat was only a small part of it. But that was boring and it all got ditched for just arena combat.

Like I'm laughing at how much powerful motors and weapons became 20 years later because I'm imagining today's bots doing RW's old obstacle course or that challenge called Sumo (where you simply have to push an opponent out of a circle) and they would just kill it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

ante posted:

He's got a good series on building the various incarnations of Overhaul here and other places around his site:

https://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?cat=123

He's posted some frustration at how boring horizontal and vertical spinners are, and I believe him that he has no desire to join all the other teams in converging on almost exactly the same design.

I guess that's part of what Battlebots is trying to do with mixing things up with the upperdeck, but it really is a challenging problem, trying to encourage more innovation.

Like, Smee and Huge, and probably Hydra don't really have a chance of ever winning. The latter two are hyped up a lot in commentary, but their reputation hasn't really been particularly lived up to

I will never make fun of Team Cat Ears if he makes a heavyweight version of his best bot, Stance Stance Revolution. Mind you can't imagine the logistics of being able to drive that bot, but still.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

TheJadedOne posted:

For as much as that talk about how amazing drivers both mattie vasquez and jameson go are, daniel frietas should be talked about in that list more. That fight and the control he had over his bot was top notch.

I remember they were hyping him as a great driver back in the ABC era, just Minotaur finally worked out its kinks after its upgrades. Like very few drivers would be able weaponize their own gyroscopic forces but he does it like it's natural.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It it wasn't already Minotaur then what the gently caress. And if it's not Minotaur now then gently caress You.

Ngl, want Hydra to win because of all the salt that would generate and also gently caress spinners.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Tantrum and Cobalt both have good shots of taking out Sawblaze since they can win the ground game. Tantrum already did it last year.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Really surprised how things ended out! I think the problems as ever are just that the refs are really inconsistent and a lot of the rules around sticks/outs/controlled movement/etc. are poorly thought out

Battlebots finally joining the big leagues!

Wished someone recorded those controversial moments live, but considering the lack of amateur footage, Discovery must have been pretty strict on recording from the audience.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

I do hope teams don't drop out because of what happened either because of how Battlebots is run or the toxic audience. It would suck to lose Witch Doctor, Minotaur, and other prominent teams. We already lost Bite Force.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 9, 2022

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Exactly. It adds an interesting choice that a team has to make in the moment, particularly if a fight has gone on into the third minute already. You can tap out and lose but with less damage, or you can bet on the point you've already scored and hope to ride out the clock and take whatever the other bot dishes out in that time.

Speaking of which, is there a reason teams can't voluntarily "tap out" as the rules are now? I've just never seen it done, not that there aren't cases where it ought to have been done.

Tapping out was an option in CC-era because there were so many bots due to it being an open competition and it was single elimination. Here's an example of one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRRCtOIoxg

Now that it's invitational only, producers feel 'obligated' to get a good fight. That being said, I don't think it's that big of a deal since nearly most of the time a builder can just shut their bot down and claim to be immobilized not to mention there are so many gentlemen's agreements among the builders on how far they want to take a fight if x happens.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

hexwren posted:

who the gently caress in the league thought that was even sightly okay

You'd think too dangerous to be tested in the testing box would raise red flags, but someone from battlebots really wanted them to succeed.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Someone make the Dune worm again

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

FYI if you're thinking of trying to see this in person, the actual cost to attend the conference is $1500. :v:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Speaking of Robogames, just found out it's back on for 2023! Dunno if it's the same organization running it or not, but if the big groups are coming back (Ray Billings, Riobotz, etc.) it should be legit.

http://robogames.net/events.php

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Reducing the tip speed was because of Hellachopper. Reducing the weapon mass was because of Deep Six. Tombstone for sure spun faster during the ABC run compared to Discovery along with a handful of other bots (Minotaur, Icewave, Nightmare, etc).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

More Battlebots! More!

Zaslav finding out how cheap Battlebots is compared to the average tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Looks like good news. Was the stipend the main reason Bite Force team didn't want to come back or did they have other grievances with BB?

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: @ them shoving a bunch of longtime losers who keep showing up into a "reserve bot" pile

I'm bummed there's no Tombstone, but apparently the Deep Six team built a Tombstone

Will have a lot to live up to the horizontal Deep Six